The power of no.

Just a heads up that I may have to continue this post as a post in my own blog depending on how “heated” things get around here…

I was reading an article earlier today about a joint Master’s program at Georgetown, one of my alma maters, about a program they have in conjunction with UDC, a local HBCU. The main goal of the program is to train folks for research careers addressing health disparities so the program tends to admit all URMs. (Actually, they seem to favor Africans over Black Americans like many of the programs at Hopkins).

Anyhoo, I was summarily REJECTED to the program years ago after one of the most horrible interview experiences I’ve EVER had in my life (I’m pretty sure I detailed this in my blog).

Now I’m not the type of person to think that my acceptance to ANY program is a guarantee, NOTHING in life is guaranteed. But when you are rejected from one of the crappiest HBCU’s on the planet, it kinda makes you feel a certain kinda way. A certain kinda insecure way.

But when I read the article about the program today, ALL I could do was smile. BIG!!! Why? Because that “no” was one of the most important “nos” I’d had in a LONG time.

I happily took my “rejected from crappy HBCU” self to Georgetown where I not only blew the med school courses I took there out of the water, I finished my MS program in a hard core medical science with a VERY good GPA, including a semester where I made straight A’s. At Georgetown.

What’s my point? My point is certainly NOT to brag on myself, everyone around here is pretty darn smart too!!! My point is to say that sometimes, no scratch that, almost EVERY time you hear the word “no” it’s NOT because it’s a reflection on YOU. Sometimes it’s because there’s something MUCH better out there for YOU!

But MOST of the time, it’s because not everyone can realize a good thing when it’s sitting right before their eyes, ROTF!!!

Path,

I needed to see, and hear for that matter, this message, as I am hit with a sea of “no’s” during this application cycle.

We will see how this all unfolds. Thanks for the “AH-HA” moment!

• TJJ MD Said:
Path,

I needed to see, and hear for that matter, this message, as I am hit with a sea of "no's" during this application cycle.

We will see how this all unfolds. Thanks for the "AH-HA" moment!

You're welcome TJJ!!

I was getting worried that I was the only one around that could appreciate that value in being told "no".

Here's a story for you. I once worked with a Vet, a DVM/PhD, that took 12 years to get accepted to vet school. That's 12 straight years of applications, year after year after year. When I met him he was one year from a VERY comfortable retirement and he serves as a reminder that those who refuse to accept no, eventually achieve their goals!

Path, GREAT reminder. Thank you.