The Secondary App Thread

If you have received any yet, would you mind sharing
(1) When you submitted your AACOMAS or AMCAS online app?
(2) Who you received a secondary from?
(3) When you received it?
Me: AACOMAS submitted July 4th, AMCAS submitted on July 12th.
No secondaries as of yet.

Also you may want to put on there when you were verified that may help…for submitting is one thing verifying can take weeks.

AMCAS: Submitted 6/20. Verified 7/1. Reverified to fix mistake made by AMCAS 7/15.
Secondaries received: Georgetown, George Washington, Connecticut, Cornell, Yale (all between 7/6 and 7/14).
Secondaries I’m working on that are online, available to all: Hopkins, Columbia, Tulane
Secondaries I have submitted: ummm, none–but hopefully all this weekend!
Foreign: Submitted Australian app 7/4. Acknowledged 7/16!

Just got an email from KCOM giving me access to their online secondary.

AMCAS Submit: 6/4 Verified 6/8
Secondaries Received:
Ohio State 7/7
Baylor 7/8
Wright State 7/13
U. of Virginia 7/15
U. of Cincinnati 7/19
Wake Forest 7/22
Medical College of Ohio 7/22
Waiting to hear: Mayo, Pittsburgh, UNC Chapel Hill, Virginia Commonwealth

AMCAS Submitted 6/12
AMCAS Verified 7/2
Secondaries Received: University of Iowa
Waiting to hear from: Univ of Wisconsin, MC Wisconsin, Creighton, Kansas, Mizzou, SLU, Univ of South Dakota, Michigan State, OHSU

AACOMAS Submitted 6/4
Secondaries Received: KCOM
Waiting to Hear From: DMCOM, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, CCOM

Updating…
AMCAS: Submitted 6/20. Verified 7/1. Reverified to fix mistake made by AMCAS 7/15.
Secondaries still waiting for: Mayo (phone), Minnesota, UCLA, Emory, Harvard, Stanford, UCSF
Secondaries I’m working on: U Southern Cal, Iowa, Dartmouth, Columbia, Georgetown
Secondaries submitted: George Washington, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Connecticut, Cornell, Pritzker, Northwestern, NYU, UPenn
Secondaries recieved but probably not filling out: Vermont, Boston Univ., Mount Sinai, Tulane
And when I finally get around to it I’ll fill out: McGill, U of Toronto, UK schools (they have a central app like AMCAS allowing up to 4 schools)
I don’t think I’ll apply to Ireland after all.

Quote:

AMCAS Submitted 6/12
AMCAS Verified 7/2
Secondaries Received: University of Iowa
Waiting to hear from: Univ of Wisconsin, MC Wisconsin, Creighton, Kansas, Mizzou, SLU, Univ of South Dakota, Michigan State, OHSU

AACOMAS Submitted 6/4
Secondaries Received: KCOM
Waiting to Hear From: DMCOM, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, CCOM

Boeing–
With your obvious love of the Midwest, how did you leave out Minnesota? You’ve got most of our neighbor states but where are we on there? You mean to tell me that you don’t want to move to the state that gave the world both Walter Mondale and Bob Dylan, not to mention Post-It Notes??

Actually, Minnesota TC, Minnesota Duluth, and Mayo were all quite high on my list - but they wanted 1 semester (UM system) and 1 year (Mayo) of Biochemistry respectively. I’ve found a flying job that’s paying the bills in the interim as I wait to start med school and quitting to go back to get Biochem done was going to be just too big a financial hit. So (sadly) I crossed the Minnesota schools - and Nebraska - off my list.

Ahhh, Mayo can’t possibly want a whole year of biochem, because lots of schools don’t offer that, or do they? Well, I’ll cross that bridge when/if I come to it. I understand your reasoning now though. Plus, U of MN TC requires psychology. Gag. If I have to take that I will die. I wonder if I could get a waiver as a conscientious objector. Psych 101 is the weeder class par excellence, totally dull and usually filled with a thousand freshman.
I was also thinking about Creighton, UMD, and U of Nebraska. I am torn as to whether I could really live in a rural area again. Even Iowa City would be a stretch, but I am so psyched to fill out their application! I am sorry to say but to me those cornfields seem as exotic as the skyscrapers of Manhattan, and here I’ve lived in both types of places before.

Unless it has changed Mayo required (at least for my class) one course in biochem not one full year.

You guys are correct - Mayo requires one course in Biochemistry. My bad!
http://www.mayo.edu/mms/md-prerequisites.html

Secondaries received:
DMUCOM - submitted
CCOM - Pending
WesternU/COMP - Pending
USF - Pending
Waiting for:
UHSCOM
TUCOM (Vegas and Vallejo)
AZCOM
UM
Med. College Wis.

Don

Just received a secondary from the Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee).

A few more secondaries have been recieved this week, plus a phone interview request from Mayo! By the way, does anyone think I should revive any of the apps I’ve been lagging on, or add any new schools? I worry that my list is heavy on places that are unusually hard to get into. On the other hand I’m up to my ears in apps.
Anyway, another update:
Submitted: Columbia, Dartmouth, George Washington, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Connecticut, Cornell, Pritzker, Northwestern, NYU, UPenn
In progress: Stanford, U Southern Cal, Iowa, Georgetown, U of Toronto, UK schools (plan to appy to U of London, Oxford, Birmingham, one other)
Ever patiently waiting for: Minnesota, UCLA, Emory, Harvard, UCSF, McGill
Secondaries that have been sitting around forever, can’t decide whether to proceed: Vermont (def. no), Boston Univ., Mount Sinai, Tulane
School I fear has rejected me: UCSF (no secondary yet, though I’m out of state so maybe just gotta wait longer)

More Secondaries Received: MSU and Creigton.
1st Rejection Letter Received: Mizzou

Most of the schools that you have heard from don’t screen at the primary application level. Those that you haven’t heard from yet still screen, as I recall.
Cheers,
Judy

Quote:

Most of the schools that you have heard from don’t screen at the primary application level. Those that you haven’t heard from yet still screen, as I recall.

That is unless … They lost your app! This happened to me, and (if I remember correctly, OMD)
BUT, it is too early in the game to worry over that.
The one that I accuse of losing my app sent a note shortly after receiving my primary that told me they will consider me for a secondary and to wait 6-8 weeks. It’s been 11 months, and I still haven’t heard from them!
I didn’t follow up with that because I’d been accepted to other schools, but lesson learned:
Keep tabs on your app progress. Once you send in secondaries, check in with the school and make sure they recieve your other items. You can phone along the way and be sure that your materials have arrived.

Quote:

I know, and that’s just it! Those screening schools are the ones that worry me but I’m trying to think positive. :slight_smile: Plus I’ve heard that one of Mayo’s phone interview questions is “what do you think about at night?” I hope I will have the good sense not to tell them that I spend most of that time pondering whether UCSF and the U of MN have rejected me. In order to ensure that this does not happen, I shall take a day off from applications tomorrow, go waterskiing, clear my head of secondary obsession, all in time for my Monday interview.
Or wait–maybe I’m misreading your post? Do you mean that screening schools take longer so it is not yet time to assume rejection? That is a good way to look at it too.
Thanks!

Quote:

Or wait–maybe I’m misreading your post? Do you mean that screening schools take longer so it is not yet time to assume rejection? That is a good way to look at it too.

Most screening schools do take a bit longer. :slight_smile: It’s too early in the season to assume anything.
Cheers,
Judy