The Secondary App Thread

Yeah! Thought I’d share since I finally have news. I got the Mayo phone interview request today; you could have knocked me over with a feather!
Secondaries received & returned: GWU, SLU, UT-Memphis, ETSU.
Secondaries I need to complete: Pritzer, UKentucky, ULouisville, Meharry, KCOM.
Haven’t heard yet: UAB, UW, Vandy,USUHS, PCSOM, UHSCOM.

OMG! girl if you come here we will have to for sure go out…hehe. Kick arse on that phone interview!

=========================================================

TOP TEN WRONG ANSWERS TO THE QUESTION, “WHAT DO YOU THINK

ABOUT AT NIGHT?”

=========================================================

GOOD LUCK WITH THE MAYO PHONE INTERVIEW!

…Amy gets a good nights sleep before phone call…

ex lurker,
Positive vibes for your Mayo phone interview!
Shirl

Quote:

ex lurker,
Positive vibes for your Mayo phone interview!
Shirl

Nudge,nudge,wink,wink…Shirl gives good vibes.
I just totally rocked the phone interview. Started out stiff, but felt like it was like a girly gab sesson by the time I hung up! Thanks for all the encouragement.
And PNP2MD, please excuse my blue humor if it offends, I’m to the no sleep, super silly, excited with no one to talk to stage…and I’m a bit quirky to begin with anyway.

Ex-lurker,
Congrats on rockin your Mayo phone interview! No worries, I don’t offend easily. Let us know when you get the on site Mayo interview.
Shirl

Congrats ex-lurker and pushkin on the Mayo phone interviews! Unfortunately, I got the ole Mayo rejection letter, but there’s always Residency
The news is not all bad though: Wright State on-site interview this Tuesday!! To update my current progress:
AMCAS Submit: 6/4 Verified 6/8
Secondaries Received:
Ohio State 7/7
Baylor 7/8
Wright State 7/13
U. of Virginia 7/15
U. of Cincinnati 7/19
Wake Forest 7/22
Medical College of Ohio 7/22
Invited and completed since last post:
Virginia Commonwealth 8/3 and
Pittsburgh 8/10
On-Site Interview: Wright State 8/24
Rejection: Mayo
Waiting to hear: UNC Chapel Hill

OK, fast running out of $$ and interviews haven’t even started yet.Decided I still have to feed the kids at least once a day (you know, school lunch, people might be looking)so I took a hard look at the secondaries that I haven’t returned yet.
Decided I’m dropping out of Pritzer even though I like the school, it’s a spendy one and I see these kids with way better numbers and research getting the ax from them already. Think I’ll save my shred of dignity and $$ and ditch that one, sigh.
Guess I don’t even have to wait to get rejections…I can give them to myself!
Tomorrow will be the day I break into the interview column, I can feel it!
Good night all, and thanks for the vent. My family thinks I’m a little obsessive right now, can anyone relate (laughing I know you all can).
Amy

Amy, I know what you mean. I applied to 13 MD schools - and have received secondaries from 8 of them. Only one rejection. In addition to getting expensive (75 or 100 a pop) it’s causing my profs to do a lot of extra work with the LOR’s…
…and I’m starting to get materials from schools to which I didn’t apply on my AMCAS app.

It might be too late to help you, but there is an online service called “interfolio” www.interfolio.com My school uses it for reference files. You set it up online, they give you a form to send (via e-mail or snail mail) to your recommender. You can mark waived right of access on it. The form gives your recommender the info on how to get the letter to Interfolio (e-mail, upload via the web, fax, snailmail, etc).
Then, when you need to send out letters, you go online, tell them where you need them sent to, and they copy them and send them out.
I am signed up for the yearly plan ($15 fee, $5 per request).
I think anyone can sign up for this service. In addition to a file for your letters of recommendations, you can add CV’s, copies of drivers licenses, certs, etc. You can choose what things you want sent where. They mentioned on the site that many people put copies of drivers licenses, passports, and etc. in their file, that way if they lose the original while traveling, a copy is only internet access away.
Amy

Well, just keep taking it easy everyone. I sure know how you feel about the money, time and requests for letters of recommendation. Just think of this–on top of the usual US MD schools, I am applying to 2 Canadian schools, each of which has a separate process for sending in transcripts and letters, plus its own complicated application. I have sent my premed advisor SO MANY FORMS! They are awful looking things, written in the tiniest font so as to fit in both an English and French translation. Ugh. After this is all over I’m going to send him and his secretary some kind of present, I just don’t know what yet. On top of the LORs to deal with I have 5 separate transcripts.
Plus when you are dealing with foreign apps, especially from socialized type countries, none of the categories make sense. This is especially true with England. They have the wierdest questions and I can’t answer any of them. No I am not from the Channel Islands! I’m not a “home student” either. Even their paper is on a different size than the 8.5 x 11 we use here, and I have to print info on that! Oh and imagine all the fun I had when I had to wade through their explanation of British law pertaining to one’s right to view one’s own recommendations. Then yesterday I had to call my high school to ask for 6 copies of my transcript! It’s on microfisch. Oh how lovely to be so old that my documents are now stored in a vault.
Pritzker asked for ACT scores. Would you believe I still had the little printout from back in the day? Made a nice mess in my mom’s basement digging that old thing up.

Oh and let me just add, that since one of the schools I’m applying to is in Quebec and covered by the laws of Canada, the LCME (or whatever the governing group is for North American med schools), Quebec itself, AND its American quota program, I’m just steeling myself for a huge pile of paperwork.
And to cover my bases and be in full compliance with all local laws as well, after a string of failures last week, I finally passed the Minnesota Drivers Knowledge Test on Monday and applied to get my drivers licence changed from New York to Minnesota. That’s the kind of thing that can only be done for 1 hour a day at an office way out in the suburbs. Let’s hope it goes through!

Poor Pushkin,sounds like you need a two-for-one ink cartridge sale!!

I think I maybe onto something…I vented last night that I really felt I was going to break into the interview column today, and voila! I got one from St. Louis U; granted they interview about eight million people, but it’s like those old lottery commercials ‘you can’t win if you don’t play’.

I will now test this theory…Tomorrow I will receive another interview… If this keeps up maybe I’ll forgo medical school and become the new Dion Warwick.

Pushkin, just the fact that you are willing and organized enough to jump through all these sets of international hoops shows both how dedicated you are to this decision and how great you’ll be at HMO paperwork

PS- I understand exactly about the scores, my mom actually had a copy of my high school ‘transcript’ with my SATs on them; but I couldn’t find the paper from the GRE I took last year

Oy Vey!
I got my first secondary today… Penn State.
I’m debating on which ones to fill out and when… whether I should wait until the MCAT scores (try to save money) or go ahead and jump in…
and what’s up with aking for the ACT scores? I don’t remember what I got… and surely from what I do remember they sucked…
Guess I’ll be calling my mom… I’m sure she’s got all that junk filed away somewhere.
Andrea

adennis - so far I think the only secondaries I have had that want those old scores are Pritzer (that I gave up on/too much $$, and I don’t think I have enough research to be competitive there anyway), and Kirksville(Osteo).
I am worried about KCUMB. My AACOMAS has been sent for awhile now and still no secondary from them?? I know they screen, but looking at their numbers I think I should at least get that far. Has anyone else applied there/ have a comment on their turn-around time?
Thanks-
Amy

Ex-lurker, if you know of any good two-for-one ink deals, please for the love of god let me know how I can get in on one! My printer is threatening to go on strike if I do not stop whacking it with a baseball bat ala Office Space every time it beeps.
Update:
Submitted secondaries for Stanford and Iowa, and got one from UCLA at long last.

Secondaries Received: University of Iowa, University of Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, Creighton, SLU, Michigan State, OHSU, DMUCOM, KCOM
Secondaries Submitted: Iowa, MC Wisconsin, Creighton, SLU, DMUCOM, KCOM
Currently Working On: Michigan State, Wisconsin, OHSU
Waiting to hear from: Kansas, South Dakota, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, CCOM, Minnesota/Duluth, Minnesota/TC, Mayo
Rejected By: University of Missouri/Columbia
(My printer and keyboard are going to stage a coup here if I’m not careful.)

I’ve got secondaries now from Penn State and George Washington.
I haven’t submitted any yet…
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Andrea

Here’s a cheap printer cartridge place…
I just ordered some from here… they’re generic… but they are REALLY cheap
http://www.2for1imaging.com/
I should be getting mine here pretty soon… I know what you mean about the expense and printing… geez…