There is always HOPE!

I’ve been reading these forums for years - so long that I forgot my old username and created a new one. I’ve got to say that I get a little chuckle when reading posts by those who call themselves ‘old’ when they’re still in the 30s!

That being said, here’s me.

I’m 51. Single mom for most of the last 30 years. Went back to school in my 40s and graduated with a BS in Biology in 2007. MCAT 27 in 2005. Applied to a few med schools but turned down for two years. So on advice of a wonderful adcom, I will finish my MS in Biology this year. Retook MCAT in 2011 for a one point increase to 28.

As I sit here, I’m working a 12 hour night shift in a little community hospital close to where I live in Washington State. When I get super tired, I open up my email and re-read the two wait-list notifications I’ve received so far (DO schools). If I need a little more encouragement, I re-read the email from a Caribbean MD school inviting me for an interview. And interspersed between answering patient call lights, I read these forum discussions and realize that it is never too late. That dreams really do come true so long as one is willing to do the work necessary.

One way or another, I’m going to be a doctor. This has been - and continues to be - an amazing journey.

Hi! I know what you mean about the 30 year “old” premeds

Congrats on your journey thus far - sounds like you are close to the next starting line! And on your persistance. One of the chief qualities I think necessary to succeed on this journey is dogged persistance!

Kate

Amazing Journey…

You’ll get there!

A dear friend of mine always said - “Hope is a risk I must take!” I will be almost 55 before I gain admission, somewhere, anywhere… This forum keeps me keeping on!!!

Wow! You are truly inspiring! And incredibly patient! Most people would have moved on long ago.

Thank you!!!

old_lady_doc I admire your resolve and tenacity, can’t wait for you to post that you were admitted. Are you working currently as a nurse? Just curiuos. Best of wishes on your journey!

Isis

Thanks for the encouraging comments people

Currently I’m working as an aide (CNA) at a local hospital. I’m per diem, which is absolutely perfect as I get to work in many different departments and get a better feel for what draws me (which are quite different than my pre-conceived ideas).

And (WOOT!) last Thursday I was accepted to SGU. A dear friend from my undergrad days is in his third year there, so I have a great perspective on the school. I interviewed with an amazing alum who is an Anesthesiologist - absolutely an amazing experience!

(I feel like I’m saying “awesome” and “amazing” and “absolutely” alot… it been that kind of week!)

At this point - and I may change my mind LOL - the acceptance is a backup to the DO waitlists. But bottom line is that I’M GONNA BE A DOC!!!

Happy dancing doesn’t even begin to describe it!!

Congratulations on the acceptance, and to your tenacity of not giving up on your dreams no matter how many obstacles arise in your path or how frustrating and difficult medical schools make it for applicants (especially older ones) to gain acceptance.

I am curious what reasons you gave for the “why medicine? why now?” questions that AdComms have?

Ahhh how to answer “THE” question - that is the question LOL!

Why medicine? is an easy question to answer. It has been my dream for my whole life, impossible to sidetrack, relentless, honed through thirty years of trying to do anything else and being unable to let go of the dream.

Why now? Well, why not now? Here’s a few ways to approach that question.

1. I raised my family first. This way I won’t be juggling young children and my medical training or practice.

2. I am 100% dedicated to the pursuit of a medical education. I’m not one of those 20-somethings who get part way through medical school and wonder “What the heck am I doing?!”

3. Research suggests that 50% of medical students (especially females) wish they hadn’t gone this direction. I KNOW with every fiber of my being that this is right for me, now, and have proved through my life til now that I have what it takes to stick with it and do well.

I have finally come to the point where I can confidently “blow my own horn” without sounding arrogant. It took a long time. I look back on a few of the other years I applied, and cringe at some of the interviews that were complete failures. Its no wonder I wasn’t accepted! NOW is the time, and I am so incredibly grateful!

Super kudos to anyone who WILL NOT GIVE UP. Who is willing to go the distance, face squarely their imperfections and create their own success. It is NEVER TOO LATE!