things to think about before quitting job ? finances!

I just wanted to throw this out there since I’ll likely find myself unemployed by the end of next Month (Aug) I wanted to know from those of you who did the same thing what are some things I need to handle before hand? such as finding another apartment which is less expensive (I know they verify income)so I should probably line that up before I leave my job. As far as financing for the year, I should have plenty in savings, and at last resort I can dip into my 401K which I know will take alot of taxes, but it’s what they’ve matched already anyways. What are some other things I should consider? my car is paid off, what did most of you do about insurance? just things like that would help out alot… thanks

i can’t really help w/ actual experiences but i just want to say, wow, congrats to you. i am about your age and there is absolutely no way i could have quit my job and gone to school at the same time. but if i could have done it, i would have.

if i was in your position - i would actually map out your entire post-bac future. this would include courses you would have to take and what you would expect to pay in any given month. i would also buffer yourself w/ at least 20% of expected expenses. Never know when the unexpected will come up (i.e. I got pulled over on the way to class…long story short - I was out $1500).

Have a back-up plan. Can you stay w/ family or friends while you are doing your post-bac? That could save on money. Also - you might be covered under your parents insurance still. If you are a fulltime student, there are plans that permit this.

I hope this helps some. Again, I am not in your situation but those are some things I would be thinking about.

• Miller J. Said:
I just wanted to throw this out there since I'll likely find myself unemployed by the end of next Month (Aug) I wanted to know from those of you who did the same thing what are some things I need to handle before hand? such as finding another apartment which is less expensive (I know they verify income)so I should probably line that up before I leave my job. As far as financing for the year, I should have plenty in savings, and at last resort I can dip into my 401K which I know will take alot of taxes, but it's what they've matched already anyways. What are some other things I should consider? my car is paid off, what did most of you do about insurance? just things like that would help out alot.. thanks

What I did when I quit my job was not nearly as much as it would have been had I not had the support I do from my parents (I moved in with them again and stayed with them until I moved to another city), but trying to cut down on as many bills as possible is the most important thing. I wouldn't necessarily skimp on food, maybe start cooking at home, but don't go on a top ramen diet because that's going to be unhealthy as hell and there's certain foods that help you think; I can't recall which ones they are, but I know they exist.

Your car is already paid off so you're ahead of the game there. See if you can get cheaper auto insurance (not crappier, just cheaper) from another company. Find places to eat, go, etc. that are near the college that you can walk or bike to so you can cut down on using gas.

If you have to, look into the financial aid that your college/university offers....don't be afraid to take out loans if you have to, everyone gets screwed into a massive amount of loan debt by the time they finish med school anyway.
  • obesedude Said:
i can't really help w/ actual experiences but i just want to say, wow, congrats to you. i am about your age and there is absolutely no way i could have quit my job and gone to school at the same time. but if i could have done it, i would have.

if i was in your position - i would actually map out your entire post-bac future. this would include courses you would have to take and what you would expect to pay in any given month. i would also buffer yourself w/ at least 20% of expected expenses. Never know when the unexpected will come up (i.e. I got pulled over on the way to class...long story short - I was out $1500).

Have a back-up plan. Can you stay w/ family or friends while you are doing your post-bac? That could save on money. Also - you might be covered under your parents insurance still. If you are a fulltime student, there are plans that permit this.

I hope this helps some. Again, I am not in your situation but those are some things I would be thinking about.

Usually with insurance under your parents it is up until age 25 if your are a full-time student. Another option is too see if your school offers health insurance...many do (universities, that is, not CCs).

Kris