Third Time Non traditional Applicant!

Hello All,

I am a 42 non-traditional applicant and planning to apply for next cycle in 2021. I had applied back in 2014 and 2015. I got interviews at both of times (waiting listed in 2014 and rejected in 2015). I went to the interview in 2015 when I was on wheelchair. On the day before Thanksgiving in 2014, I was hit by a car as a pedestrian crossing the intersection. Then I went through 6 bone surgeries. So, I was really exhausted by the time I went to interview in April, 2015.

After the rejection in 2015, I decided to take a break and focus on my healing and recovery both emotionally and physically. At the same time, I wanted to be productive and took some classes in community college. In early 2016, I was transitioning from wheelchair to cane and my gait was still not steady. Also due to financial reasons, I wanted to do something quick and got accepted in accelerated nursing school (15 months) in May, 2016. However, clinical rotations during nursing school only make my desire to become a physician even stronger. I have been working as a nurse since 2017.

I am wondering if it will come across as weak regarding “why medicine” since I changed to nursing. I I am not sure I "water the seed " well like Dr. Gray said.

Very sorry about the long post!! Any suggestions are welcome!!!

1 Like

Adcoms like applicants with clinical experience! Also, having your own medical issues shows vulnerability, especially with your ability to have empathy and compassion for patients.

1 Like