Timeline

Hello!
I’d like to clear up my understanding of the timeline involved in completing school work and the application process.
I’m finishing the first of a two year ‘personalized’ post-bac programme; it consists of the usual Bio/Chem/Phys/Orgo. I will be finishing this in one year - May, 2007.
The MCAT can be written in the spring or summer - although I hear that this is about to change with computerized tests comming online soon.
Canadian schools have application deadlines in January - at which time the MCAT is not yet written.
I’m trying to piece this together.
What would my timeline look like:
Finish school prereqs - May 2007
MCAT - August 2007
Apply - January 2008 to enter September 2008
Thanx!
Ron

I’m not familiar with Canadian schools. However if they are similar then for US schools the August MCAT puts you at a bit of a disadvantage. That being said the August 2006 is the last paper MCAT, at least per the website. So you should be able to take it a little sooner than August.
Just suggestions:
Any chance of taking the MCAT in the Spring? Will your class load allow this?
Now I’m not saying you can’t/won’t get interviewed by taking an August MCAT just putting yourself a bit behind the 8 ball.

From what I understand:
When one applies in January, the MCAT score has to be available. I would have to write before Jan. 2007 in order to apply.
It looks like one year is lost in the process. That’s what I want to make sure I understand correctly.
Writing the MCAT in spring would be ‘difficult’ at best!
Thanx

Then do the best you can in August. I’m doing the same thing. The fall of 2007 I will take an analytical chem and a biochem course to keep the courses going. No sense stopping when you haven’t been accepted. I finally start my prereqs this summer. So you have a partner in crime.
Best of luck!

Quote:

I’m finishing the first of a two year ‘personalized’ post-bac programme; it consists of the usual Bio/Chem/Phys/Orgo. I will be finishing this in one year - May, 2007.
The MCAT can be written in the spring or summer - although I hear that this is about to change with computerized tests comming online soon.
Canadian schools have application deadlines in January - at which time the MCAT is not yet written.
I’m trying to piece this together.
What would my timeline look like:
Finish school prereqs - May 2007
MCAT - August 2007
Apply - January 2008 to enter September 2008

For the US schools, if you apply to them as well, you would apply in June 2007, take the MCAT anytime next spring/summer when you are well-prepared, for entry into the Aug/Sept. 2008 class.
Cheers,
Judy

The thing to be clear about is that for U.S. schools, you do NOT have to have an MCAT score in order to apply. Your timeline indicates applying in January for admission that August. For US schools that would be very, very late and would put you at a significant disadvantage.
If you expect to take the MCAT in the late summer, you can submit your AMCAS application at the same time you are preparing for the MCAT. Some schools will begin the review process - or at least send you a secondary - while they are waiting for your MCAT scores to arrive.
The schedule I’d recommend is:
MCAT sometime in mid-2007
Application sometime in mid-2007 (AMCAS/AACOMAS for US schools)
all of this is for matriculation in the fall of 2008
So going back to your original question, yes, there is virtually always a “lag year” between submitting the application and actually starting school.
Mary

Mary,
When would be the earliest we could apply? June?

Hi,
I don’t know if you’re planning on applying to Canadian schools, but most also require 3rd year biochem. Most Canadian students write MCAT after finishing 2nd year O-chem, then take biochem during their application year. Make sure you don’t need biochem as well!

Quote:

Mary,
When would be the earliest we could apply? June?

The earliest you can submit an AMCAS application is early June, usually about the 1st (for entering medical school about 15 months later). Most medical schools require that your application to AMCAS be submitted no later than sometime between Oct. 15th and Dec. 1st. There are exceptions to this, but be sure you don’t miss the deadline for the particular schools you are interested in. (But submitting your AMCAS in September or October is considered “late.”)
Cheers,
Judy