TPR Practice MCAT

I took a free practice MCAT a couple weekends ago moderated by TPR. The process was very disorganized as they didn’t even tell us the building or room on campus to meet. No email confirmations and no signs were posted. All of us were wandering around until the moderator came out and found the group.

Then, their website wouldn’t let us do the computer test even though the browsers met the minimum requirements, so we had to do a paper test.

TPR definitely did not provide a good first impression. I wasn’t planning on doing their prep course but if I had been, I may have re-considered.

In any case, I got my score back, 21Q. I plan to take my real MCAT in either April or May 2011 so now I at least have a sense of where I currently stand and how it actually “feels” (with breaks and fatigue).

What are other people’s experiences with bringing up their scores while studying? Did you notice a steady improvement until you hit your targets?

Also, I’m wondering if they underscore those practice tests in an attempt to convince you that you need to sign up for their courses. I did a rough comparison of my raw scores with EK scoring and arrived at a 24. Of course all these are estimates but I think it may be safe to say that I currently stand in the low 20’s range.

I can’t speak for anything other than Kaplan, but I found their course very helpful. I took it at the same time I was taking the last semesters of physics and organic. There were 6 opportunities to take practice tests, and I improved on each one. The real test score was comparable to my final practice test, except for the essay (actual grade was a little lower as I recall). I took the course in winter 2001, so not sure what changes have been made regarding curriculum and cost. At the time, it seemed well worth the price.

My diagnostic score on TPR was 22P. I took the course and scored a 35P on the real deal. Whether you decide to do TPR or Kaplan, you need to commit to working on it on a regular basis. Hard, consistant work will result in progress.

their diagnostics are designed to be harder so that your real score goes up…they have when you take their course a higher score guarantee.

i do not think that their tests are really representative of how you will do, but that is just mho.

the key to doing it is

1. knowing your weak areas and shoring them up

2. practice so you can do calculation problems quickly

3. making out a study schedule and sticking to it

4. investing the time and treating your preparation as you would any other regular class …even if you do it on your own

Hi, desert_shawn!

My first TPR diagnostic was a 22. I took their course and ended up with a 36T. Taking a prep course was really the secret to my success. Its expensive and time-consuming, but I figured that it would save me money in the end because a good score could make the difference between being a matriculant or a reapplicant (1 app cycle vs 2). Its not just the class itself - its the commitment that it causes. If you have to go to class 4x/week, and are expected to have studied before the class, its a lot easier to stay disciplined. Not only that, but I had some other life things going on. I was pregnant and due a month after my course ended. So, I had to take the class, finish, and take the test in very short order, so I HAD to stay disciplined and motivated. Without the extra structure, I don’t think I would have been successful.

I don’t think it matters so much which class you take, just that you take a class or otherwise find a way to commit to studying very effectively for a few months prior to the test. In addition to the class, I studied 4 - 6 hours almost every day. At night, I dreamed about the MCAT. I cleared my schedule to study, making the MCAT my full time job, and it paid off.

Take this test seriously, and you can be very successful.

hmm, so 2 people on this thread started around my initial score, took TPR course, and ended up with 35 and 36. you guys both make a good case for perhaps considering the TPR course. i’d love to score the same as you.

i hear you on clearing the schedule. that’s why i decided next semester that i will only take O-Chem II+lab (4 credit hours) and use the rest of my time to study MCAT. i thought about taking another class like Biochem or Genetics but i’m resolved to conquer the MCAT so i decided against it so i can put a lot of focus on MCAT.

many thanks for the feedback.