Truth or Fiction?

Why would anyone want to sue the school for something that was asked on an interview…that could be to “test” your fortitude for obnoxious remarks? let me tell ya, this does NOT end here…you will hear many remarks during medical school and beyond…a thick skin does me really well.

I agree with developing a thick skin. There will be other people down the road remarking on your nontrad status. You can’t sue them all. I was even asked this question when I was interviewing for residencies. I would deal (and have dealt) with it with a direct and mature response.

I think I would have responded with something like, “Well, that’s a difficult statement to respond to… but I think it’s problematic to put a value on a career in terms of how many years one ends up in practice. For instance, I might be a better physician in a 20-25-year career than someone younger in a 35-year span becauses I brought my experience and values to bear on my practice of medicine. I am not saying a traditional applicant can’t be a better doctor than I would be, but I would argue my maturity is a leg up. Someone younger than myself might not even have a full realization of their values are since it is something you acquire through experience.” Or words to that effect.