Up in the Air

Hello Pre Meds!! Well, here we are…23 days from the job loss. No unemployment payments yet. Interesting development in my private practice - my former patients from my former place of employment have found out where I work and are flocking there in droves! Pulling in a little income there. The hubby picked up some hours with UPS and got rehired by his former employer - but for half the hours he was getting previously. Bottom line - fridge is full, gas in car, heat and lights in house. All blessings and I am very grateful. I have an upcoming job interview in Baltimore on the 8th of January and am making plans to file my taxes using my final paystub, which some tax preparers will allow and give an advance for. Hopefully that will cover rent while unemployment is being decided. Have applied to several VA hospitals, the local psych center,and…and…the three social worker positions that are open at Johns Hopkins. Volunteered at a recovery based Christmas event today and found 20.00, which no-one claimed and which gave me enough gas to make it to work this week - my little Christmas miracle. Remaining open to ALL possibilities and keeping my eye on the prize!!! Hope all is well with you and yours. let’s see where the balls ( up in the air)…LAND!!!

Well, Vicki, if it were me, I would try to take advantage of NOT working – if you can financially afford it – and use that time to return to school to get your premed requirements out of the way.

I realize that most people who are older don’t have the luxury of not working – they have bills to pay and obligations to fulfill, which also costs money. Furthermore, schooling for premed also costs money, as one needs to work to pay for school tuition and fees.

But it sounds to me like the timing of job loss may be a blessing in disguise (assuming it is also not a hidden burden at the same time.)

I was reprimanded yesterday by my wife for signing up for Netflix at $7.99/month…so I hear ya about the tightness factor.

Hang in there VickiV!

• VickiV Said:
Volunteered at a recovery based Christmas event today and found 20.00, which no-one claimed and which gave me enough gas to make it to work this week - my little Christmas miracle.

To God be the glory, I LOVE stories of proof of how God "has our back" at ALL times!

Good luck and prepare to have to make a decision about where you want to work!