Update:no longer a foreign undergrad

Hi all, I have officially decided to change a major and transfer some social sciences from my home university towards a completely new US degree in Human Physiology. It will take longer but save me a headache of never ending dilemma wether my medical school application is going to be considered less competitive or not. I am starting as a math/science concentration at a local CC and will be transferring into a 4 year university as soon as I can.

I am very excited about my decision and looking forward to the spring semester. I was also pleased to find out that majority of professors at our CC are retired from teaching at very good universities across the country and every class I chose will be taught by faculty member with a PhD obtained at very respected schools including Harvard and UPenn. Considering that, I should not worry about the quality of recommendation letters if I succeed.:slight_smile: It was also very inspiring to find out that my friends were able to get into Cornell, Tufts, BC, Brown to complete their 4 year degree and transferred 58 out of 64 CC credits.

Congratulations to all who got accepted into med school this year!!! And I hope all are in good spirits and ready to perform our best this upcoming semester!

Hey LifePlus

Making a hard decision is difficult, but when done equates to a relief.

I wish you the best of luck. Your plan is very sound and I am sure future adcoms will see through your choice the motivation and determination that will make of you an outstanding physician.

Hi Redo, thank you for your support. I am very excited to start classes in a week! If all goes well I will be applying when you are graduating. Don’t forget about us and keep us posted on your med school experience!

Congrats!! You will do fine!! I had numerous classmates at Syracuse, who began their journey at a CC. In the New York State SUNY system - any intact associate’s degree transfers in as a full 62 credits without credit by credit evaluation. Glad to see you are still at it!!

• LifePlusMedicine Said:
Hi all, I have officially decided to change a major and transfer some social sciences from my home university towards a completely new US degree in Human Physiology. It will take longer but save me a headache of never ending dilemma wether my medical school application is going to be considered less competitive or not. I am starting as a math/science concentration at a local CC and will be transferring into a 4 year university as soon as I can.

I am very excited about my decision and looking forward to the spring semester. I was also pleased to find out that majority of professors at our CC are retired from teaching at very good universities across the country and every class I chose will be taught by faculty member with a PhD obtained at very respected schools including Harvard and UPenn. Considering that, I should not worry about the quality of recommendation letters if I succeed.:) It was also very inspiring to find out that my friends were able to get into Cornell, Tufts, BC, Brown to complete their 4 year degree and transferred 58 out of 64 CC credits.

Perhaps you might want to think about fulfilling any non-sci requirements that you might still need while you are at the cc, and then doing all of the pre-med science requirements at the 4-yr. school. Med schools DO pay attention to the reputation of the school where you did your work, and having great LORs from professors at a cc (no matter where they are retired from) won't make up for a school that doesn't have a reputation of academic rigor.

Cheers,

Judy

Hi Vicky, Thank you and glad to hear you are doing fine and everything turned around and worked out for you and your family!

Dear Judy,

thank you so much for your comment and advice! Unfortunately the program that I want to get into is teaching prerequisites during the first year and a half and the 3rd and 4th years are packed with upper level science courses. For me to transfer into junior year I have to cover all the basic sciences now, otherwise it will take me another 4 years after transfer if I only cover general education classes. The school is 46K a year. I think the only reason people take CC prerequisites is because this is the only option they have considering their life circumstances.

If it limits my med school choices - oh, well, I am doing the best I can at any given moment.:))