Vent: Deeply @#$%ing Frustrated

I need to vent before I go insane. I’m deeply @#$%ing frustrated right now because my job is getting in the way of my classes. That and just so many other frustrations about this job. I wish I could quit and become a full-time student but I just can’t do that because my mom sometimes depends on me for income and even though it’s been a few years since I sent money home, I need to be able to do so if the need arises. Also, I’ve been at the company for 13 years and could receive a significant severance package should I be laid off - I’ll get neither severance nor unemployment if I voluntarily quit.

They don’t want to lay me off either and that’s where the problems start. In 2011, they found me a 10-month assignment in Santa Barbara. This assignment started near the tail end of a semester and rather than take a W in Gen Chem, I drove 600 miles roundtrip and braved LA traffic once a week for about 6 weeks to keep the class. Got through all that in Spring 2011 and then kept busy during Fall 2011 with 9 units of fluff online classes. Spring 2012 was not a problem and I managed to clear Gen Chem II.

But now the problems are back again. I’m waitlisted (#4/12) in Physics I and am nearly certain to get an add-code. However, I’m being assigned field-monkey work again. 1.25 weeks/month in Santa Clarita over the next year, 1 week in Sep at Vancouver, BC, and possibly 1 week/month in Santa Barbara Oct-Feb. Essentially, I’ll be away from San Diego 10/16 weeks of the semester so I think Fall 2012 is shot. Physics I is only offered in the Fall here, so I’ll have to wait 1 year to take it or I’ll have to apply for admission to some other CC in this area Spring 2013. I don’t want to do that either because I want to keep everything on one transcript and I don’t relish spending another 200 bucks to get my foreign undergrad transcript evaluated, yet again.

There are two other engineers in my office, same billing rate, same skills, both with two kids, both with one toddler and one aged 4-ish. One engineer is male, one female. They would never be asked to go on these assignments. It’s not fair, but since I’m single, without kids and family, I am targeted for these field-monkey scutwork out-of-town assignments. I’m just deeply @#$%ing frustrated. Other than quitting my job and giving up severance $$$ / unemployment $, the only option I see is to study for and take the MCAT, then take the pre-reqs after. If I can post a decent score, I’ll be more open to the idea of quitting my job - and this path is starting to look like a good option.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Respond with advise if you wish, or if you want to add your own vent, please do so.

Jeez man,

I don’t know what to tell you. There is a period I had a letter in my drawer and looked at it everyday, thinking, “Am I quitting today?” But responsibilities didn’t allow me to do so, until the day everything came into order.

My life now is not that easy, but it is manageable and I am happier than before, that’s for sure. But we have our struggles as well. I managed to enroll for Biochem in the fall, but not sure I will be able to go. It is 1h away, twice a week at 8 am. I have a 6 y.o who starts school at 8 and a 3 y.o that I have to dropped to day care. How can I get two kids prepared, dropped at 6:45? I have no idea. I also enrolled in Engl 2, but will have to drop for sure because of incompatibilities of schedule with my wife. I have to find a way to take it because it is on my list of planned courses to reach 90 cr. hours on the TMDSAS and AMCAS. So not easy, constant struggle, constant fight and frustration. I am already thinking, if I get in, I may have to defer a year…

As for you, I can’t tell you what is the best choice, I know you keep the job because you need it. I know the economy is not great. But have you ever thought of trying to find another job, perhaps even part-time? I see you have been struggling quite a lot with this story, and for a while now. I can’t give you a good piece of advice. It is tough. But this situation seems to be dragging longer that it needs to. I don’t know what to tell you man.

Best of luck to you my friend.

PS: or you could get married and have kids… Not that it will make your life easier (I can attest to that ), but it makes the journey possible for me…

• redo-it-all Said:
PS: or you could get married and have kids... Not that it will make your life easier (I can attest to that ), but it makes the journey possible for me...

I had hoped for this but I've got no "game." Absolutely none at all, so I have to figure out a way to do this alone. It's definitely possible, so I'm not giving up anytime soon. Anyway, it was good to vent - that's all I had hoped to accomplish with the post.
  • redo-it-all Said:
But have you ever thought of trying to find another job, perhaps even part-time?

My classmate from grad school had a roommate / friend who is now the owner of a tutoring service. He has been asking me to quit and join his friend as a tutor. I'm not ready yet but hope to have the courage to take the leap soon enough...

You could pretend to have a wife and kid. Photoshop is awesome.

This is not a serious suggestion, just lightening the mood.

As this sounds like tech work, is it not possible to put yourself out on the market for a similar company elsewhere?

• PixieSanders Said:
As this sounds like tech work, is it not possible to put yourself out on the market for a similar company elsewhere?

I guess I have unfounded fears and resistance to changing jobs. I tell myself that I've been at this job for 13 years and that it affords me some flexibility because of that. However, it's turning out to be just the opposite. As much as possible, I'd like to stay in SoCal. If I can find a part-time gig 3 days a week locally, I'd take it so perhaps it's time to start looking.
  • Dullhead Said:
I have unfounded fears and resistance to changing jobs.

Oh yeah my friend. Changing jobs is quite difficult. Before I went part-time, I actually cumulated my full time job and the part-time I was contemplating for 1 semester to "ease" into the transition. I worked like hell obviously, but after a few months, I couldn't wait to leave my job.

Change is scary, like "better the devil you know". I would try to look at options. It is not because you read the menu that you have to order... So just take a look for what's out there. You may be surprised. For sure, there is nothing more fulfilling that progressing toward a goal. So go for it. Good luck man.

Hi- I don’t usually post…

" I am targeted for these field-monkey scutwork out-of-town assignments."

Is there any way you can try to negotiate for your co-workers to acccept some of the out-of-town assignments?

“I have unfounded fears and resistance to changing jobs”

Maybe just look at what is out there, you don’t have to change jobs, but check out whats around.

Good for you for looking out for your mom-

Keep focusing on what you can do and keep doing it.

Take care-

There is no risk in looking.

Your current job is jeopardizing your future - now is the time to decide which is more important, making it to medical school or staying loyal to a company which has made it clear that they feel you are their scut monkey.

And in closing… fear is the mindkiller. You can rise above it, and in doing so make your life incredibly less stressful.

• PixieSanders Said:
fear is the mindkiller. You can rise above it, and in doing so make your life incredibly less stressful.

I couldn't agree more with that statement. Very very very true!
  • PixieSanders Said:
...staying loyal to a company which has made it clear that they feel you are their scut monkey.

I always knew this, but having an unbiased outsider state the same thing has so much more impact. So, thanks for that Pixie. New jobs obviously don't happen overnight, but I'm going to see what I can do over the next 5 months while I sit out this semester, effectively speaking. I think I can still sign up for physiological psychology online - plenty of slots open as of now and having at least one course this semester will hopefully preserve my continuing student status and enrollment priority for next semester. I guess I better look at the rules and regs and figure out how many units I need...