Volunteer experience

I am an RN in a Level I Trauma Center ICU and am bored to tears. I am only in my 20’s and in college I decided to get my B.S. in nursing because I wanted to make money as soon as possible. I am making really good money but I feel as though I am not doing what I really want to do. I don’t have any children and my fiance is a med student himself who is 100% behind my decision to go to med school. I am in my first semester of my post-bacc program trying to work full time at night and am getting good grades but feel like I could be getting better grades if I went to class more. I feel tired all of the time but this is what I really want to do. I am going to go down to part time, 24 hours a week next month because I cannot physically do both.

I was wondering if there were any other nurses out there who are doing their post-bacc and are receiving flack about it from their fellow nursing colleagues?

Also I was wondering if there is any need to do volunteer work when you work as an RN? It is very hard to fit volunteer work in when you are working and going to school. I am doing a research project at the hospital I work in though.

Lastly, does anyone else find it extremely annoying to go to classes with college freshman who are so immature you want to strangle them?

I’m currently going to a community college and trying to get into the RN program there. I really understand how you feel about immature classmates. I’m taking night classes and most of the students work, and want to be an RN but act like they’re 4! Tuesdays are the long days when it’s 6-8:30 and everyone wants to go home early. I say I paid for this class and that I want to get everything I can get, and they agree with me, but they want to go home. It’s a great attitude they have if they want to get into the nursing program. They really don’t know HOW competitive it really is.

As for volunteering, have you ever thought about things like the american cancer society and the MS society? I used to work for a local chapter of the MS society and they always need volunteers.