Volunteering and Research?

How critical is it to have both of these as a non-trad? By the time I get to my applications I should have 3+ years volunteer time at both a homeless shelter (~30 hr/month, 7 mo/year) and a local hospital (hospital meeting/shots/TB test is a couple of weeks and I have already talked to the volunteer coordinator about my pre-med status and she mentioned working with a couple in the past and made it sound like it would be more than delivering papers). I also expect to have a fair amount of shadowing done, though that scheduling will have to work around my (exceedingly flexible) work schedule, of course.

I’m just worried how I can fit in a research stint when I have both of those plus full time school plus a full time job plus trying to remind my high school children that they have a father who loves them. I did some research my second semester of chemistry last year, but it was pretty informal (though we had weekly meetings and created a poster for it) and was done in lieu of doing half of the labs for the class.

How bad can I expect it to hurt me to not be one of those 85% of med students who have done formal research during the college years? How have other non-trads dealt with working full time plus school and trying to fit in regular/assigned lab hours?

Clearly, you have (or will have) PLENTY of volunteer work, so that’s not a concern for you. Your shadowing is great as well. Med schools like to see that you know what it’s like to be a physician.

In terms of doing formal research, I wouldn’t worry about it. True, many traditional (and some non-traditional) students do research, but those statistics you quote are just that - statistics. Your med school application is about YOU, not everyone else. Remember that. You are unique.

If you are interested in research, it’s a good idea to try and do some, but if that’s not an area that piques your curiosity so much, I don’t think it should be such a concern.

You have a lot on your plate with school, work, family, etc. My recommendation is this: don’t spread yourself too thin. Focus on your grades - keeping a solid GPA is much, much more important than getting in a semester of research. That’s my two cents, at least.

Keep up the good work!

I was just about to echo what terra said. I don’t have any research on my app. but I have a lifetime of volunteering before I started to apply and now have 4 different “clinical” volunteering experiences I am currently doing. What the “trad” students call “research” I am not very interested in doing any way. Most of the ones I hear are only doing it for med school or a letter of rec. Most of what they say they are doing is washing testtubes.

Don’t worry about what the traditional students say you need to get in. They all think they have to have the perfect cookie cutter app to get in, when in reality it seems that schools want to see you as you.

• terra_incognita Said:
My recommendation is this: don't spread yourself too thin. Focus on your grades - keeping a solid GPA is much, much more important than getting in a semester of research.

Sound advice, but from someone who has seen the damage done by spreading oneself too thin by research and even more so by volunteering, I would add: Don't overdo the volunteer work. Doing too much volunteer work can irreparably damage one's GPA by consuming time that is needed for studying.

I would say volunteering is more important than research for the simple fact in that it shows (1) altruism and (2) that you know what you are getting into.

That being said, I would focus on meaningful volunteer work. In my opinion, although any volunteer work, even nom-medical volunteer work, is better than none, meaningful volunteer work that helps underserved populations with their health and well-being is better than doing high-powered prestigious volunteer work.

For example, in my area, lots of my fellow students volunteer at a prestigious private hospital that is frequented by the wealthy in this area, even some celebrities. But a few miles down the road is a free homeless clinic could really use more volunteers. I volunteer there and hardly any of my classmates are there. While all people are deserving of health care, I would think that a "street person" down on her luck would need free services more than a movie star. I also volunteer with the poor in Mexico.

You got a poster out of your research? That’s more than I got out of mine. That’ll look great on your app. From what you described, it sounds like you have things covered pretty well.

I want to echo want everyone else is saying. The key to applying to medical school is the “altruism”. When students complete research projects on topics that are, well, boring, then it is a waste of time. Sure, there are some research intensive schools (ie. Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, etc.), but there are schools that also have a focus on community service and the underserved (ie. Drew/UCLA, Yale, Temple, etc.)

If you are able to secure a research position that is of interest AND fits with your schedule, then you should go for it. However, don’t force yourself into a position because of the perception that an Adcom will have on your position.

Further, I was able to secure a position at the hospital I volunteer at just by asking the surgeon if he had any projects that he was working on. Basically, you never know how things will shake out!

Good Luck!

Blah Research.

I feel many people who are in that 83% did it as a summer type job to pad their resume, when all they did was show up for a couple hours a day and pipette some fluid into tubes.

If you find a research project that excites you and you want to pursue do it! Don’t do it because you feel you need another check mark on your application.

I am in a really similar position. I am starting to finish prereqs while working two jobs, 3 kids, etc. I am not sure I’ll have all I’ll need - volunteering, no problem. shadowing and research? not really sure. . .I am going to try to some shadowing next summer if I get some downtime, but cramming 16 credits into this summer is a little time consuming.

But, I have 10 years of life experience! Doesn’t that count for something?

I would add that the type of research also has some bearing. Are you or would you be studying something with direct clinical application? I try to approach such things with the questions, “What is my narrative, and how does this support it?”. If you can draw a logical connection between your research experience and your motivation to be a physician or your efficacy as one, go for it. If not, you really need to ask if other priorities (grades et al) aren’t more important.

Isn’t the answer to this question related to the types of schools the OP plans to apply to?

If it’s a research heavy school, I would think having solid research experiences is a must.

The question of how to get that experience is another question.

• pathdr2b Said:
Isn't the answer to this question related to the types of schools the OP plans to apply to?

If it's a research heavy school, I would think having solid research experiences is a must.

The question of how to get that experience is another question.

I have zero plans to do any more research than I absolutely have to, so that's not a concern. I was just having a bit of a FUD moment when I made this post.