Way to go, OSU!!!

Okay, so they didn’t really squash them. They still came out on top!! Sorry for all you Miami fans, but I am so glad to see the ’ Canes lose! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

I never thought I’d say this 'cause I HATE Ohio State, but they are from the Big 10 and I dislike Miami more so…
Yeah!! OSU 2003 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
Hehe, sorry Joe. smile.gif
BTW, what and OUTSTANDING game!!

OK Folks,
Miami had the better atheletes. There was a questionable call that went in favor of the Buckeyes but the better “team” won the championship. Miami turned the ball over five times. It is very difficult to win any football game with those kinds of turnovers. Ohio State played as a team. The defense was awesome. Those five turnovers came because the Buckeye defense never gave up whether it was rushing the quarterback or making a goal-line stance. This was a great national championship game with plenty of excitement. I am happy for the Buckeyes because they showed great teamwork and good coaching. Congratulations to the Buckeyes and next year comes sooner than anyone can believe!
Natalie
P.S. I don’t think my future father-in-law is going to recover from this for a long time. Those silver and red Ohio State pillows were flying around the living room. It was so great to see him so happy.

ahh, but wouldn't you have liked to see Ohio St. vs USC in the Rose Bowl instead?
p.s. - Carson Palmer is not only a good quarterback, but he's a really good kid (local Orange County community opinion)

That was simply an AWESOME college championship game! I was a pullin for tha Buckeyes only cuz I am not overly fond of the 'Canes. THE Ohio State team played as a team that was focused, hungry and never gave up! They are to be heavily commended!!! Yes, the 'Canes were & are the more talented team, but they just did not have that spark of desire in their eyes. They made the grievous error of complacence and buying into their reputation of invincibility – ironically, once you accept that you are undefeatable, you become the most vulnerable to defeat.

There were two absolutely godawful calls in that game.
Call #1: OSU has the ball, 3rd down and 6, 2:30 left to go in the game. Krenzel throws a pass to Gamble, who is blatantly interfered with. Furthermore, the pass is ruled out of bounds when it was clear on replay he caught it in bounds. OSU should have had a first down with 2:30 left to go. They should have been able to run out the clock or at least come very close to it, since Miami had no timeouts left.
Call #2: Technically speaking, using the most sensitive interpretation of the rules of football, this was a good call. However, given the fact that the wrong ref called the play, given the fact that it was almost 4 seconds after the play was over, and given the fact that all game long the refs had let similar penalties go completely unchecked, I still think it was a poor decision. If the refs had callen similar penalties with the same “sensitivity” they used on this play, then I cant fault them, but to all of a sudden shift the interpretation to highly sensitive for one play of the game is insane.
The ref said that he “needed to replay it in his mind to make sure it was a penalty.” Given that the burden of proof for a penalty is on the side of calling one (as opposed to not calling one) this doesnt make any sense at all. If he needed to replay it in his mind, thats a good sign that the penalty should not have been called, especially since the ref who called the penalty was not near the play and was not the closest ref to observe the play. A penalty should be called when the ref has an immediate gut feeling that it was clearly a penalty, NOT when he has to sit back and think about it for awhile.

Yeah, there were a couple of questionable calls…but they happened to both teams; so I figure they were offsetting! I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I watched it from the bar at the Raddison in Rochester, NY. I had interviewed at Univ of Rochester for anesthesiology on Fri and had a IM prelim interview at another place in Rochester on Monday. It was an NFL Playoff weekend to boot & there was a small snowstorm going on >>> got about 18 inches over that w/e in Rochester!!
Needless to say, the barkeep & I were on a first name basis!!!

QUOTE (MD/PhD slave @ Jan 6 2003, 04:45 AM)
There were two absolutely godawful calls in that game.
Call #1: OSU has the ball, 3rd down and 6, 2:30 left to go in the game. Krenzel throws a pass to Gamble, who is blatantly interfered with.
Call #2: Technically speaking, using the most sensitive interpretation of the rules of football, this was a good call.

The ref said that he "needed to replay it in his mind to make sure it was a penalty."

You know, I have no idea why people hate Miami so badly that they revel in their mortal enemies successes. (Geoff that is aimed at you rolleyes.gif )
Call 1 was so bogus for one reason, by rule the play never happened. Why you ask? Well having watched the game 3 times, each time, ironically, the play clock goes to 0:00 and sits there for a split second while the ball is still NOT snapped. Nice try gang, but by any rule interpretation, they play should have been 3rd and 11, in which case, OSU probably has to punt anyway. Even
Call 2 is the worst call in the history of any game I ever witnessed. I have now seen the "directors cut" and several in stadium photos from fans there. Gamble is chucked legally coming off the line of scrimmage. He then beats Sharpe to the front corner of the endzone and Sharpe races to catch up. Side camera angle across from the play shows that Gamble actually misses an easy catch (choke), and Sharpe forces his arms in the way to ensure a no catch. One one thousand...rockets go off and Canes start streaming on the field. Two One Thousand, The scoreboard flasshes Hurricanes win. Three one thousand, on TV Keith Jackson says the Canes win it. Four one Thousand..The Canes team is all over the field and celebrating 24-17 with fireworks going off and streamers going off everywhere...4.45 seconds...Terry Porter plays off his gambling debt and throws a flag from the far corner of the endzone when the Side Judge signals incomplete and was only 2 yards from the play.
Then the call on TV from Fouts: That is a bad call. A really bad call. He can't call that. If he wants to call holding, maybe, but not pass interference.
The directors cut, showed no significant holding....the players had been playing like that all game long. Then Porter steps in to change history. A ref who had two letters of apology in his file and never should have been at the game. Period.
I hope OSU makes it to Nawlins in Jan because we got some serious payback against those frauds. Someone should tell them to make sure our trophy is polished and shiny when we come to get it back....
BTW, OSU's domination led to them being outgained by over 100 yards. So don't go there Geoff biggrin.gif !
OSU had no offense whatsoever. They only had drives that went 25 & 17 yards. Not mind boggling. Their run D was excellent and their front 4 were very good. Had McGahee not gotten hurt by Allens low hit, we would have won in regulation I think, but that is football. They had no answer to Winslow and for the life of me I wonder why Dorsey did not use him earlier and often. He was abusing the LB corp of OSU. The TO's really hurt us...you can't win a championship when you turn the ball over 5 times....
I am over it now.