Wedding before MCAT?

I am in a bit of a quandary, and I was hoping those who’ve taken the MCAT before could share their opinions:
One of my very best friends is getting married this summer - on August 20th, the date I am planning to take the MCAT for the first time. It has been suggested that I fly out to Chicago to get settled on Friday, attend the wedding on Saturday, and then take the exam in Chicago on Sunday (I could leave the reception by 8pm, and the exam center is only fifteen minutes from the hotel the next morning). I have not yet registered, so while this is currently possible, I am not sure if attending a wedding the night before the exam is a good idea (I’ve decided to forego my bridesmaid duties in either case).
Have people managed similar situations successfully? Is there a way to make both events work out, or would I be setting myself up for a very stressful experience?

I guess if you don’t think the wedding will be overly stressful, I would say go for it. Most of your experts on preparing for the MCAT will tell you to not study the 2-3 days before the MCAT anyways. Any studying you do those last two days won’t make a big difference in your score.
I guess I would think about whether you can manage to be relaxed and rested if you go to the wedding or not.
Good luck with your decision!

Quote:

It has been suggested that I fly out to Chicago to get settled on Friday, attend the wedding on Saturday, and then take the exam in Chicago on Sunday

I believe the MCAT is given on the 20th., a Saturday, and not the 21st, a Sunday. So, if the wedding and the exam are both on the 20th, you’ll likely have to choose between the two (I can’t help but think about the TV commercial where this guy named Ping clones himself so that he can do more volunteer work, etc. The final scene is Ping’s wife waking to breakfast in bed, served by one Ping and she screams when she sees she’s slept with another Ping. The commercial ends with the breakfast-serving Ping insisting the he’s the clone and the one sleeping is the REAL Ping. I’m guessing MCATs would be like that (marital relations): It better be done with the REAL one and not the clone! LOL! )
Wish I could be of more help…
Anita

Well, you can request the Sunday test date if Sat is not possible. Fortunately, both dates are being held at the center I’m looking to register for, so it may work out.
BTW, the newest suggestion has been to sit for the Sat exam and then attend the wedding that evening… which may actually be preferable in regards to pre-exam stress.

I had a dance performance after my Saturday MCAT, and I think it’s definitely a good way to go. You’ll enjoy the wedding much more.
That being said, I also went contra dancing the night before the MCAT (though I did leave early). You don’t want to be studying the night before the MCAT anyway.
There may be strict rules for who can take the Sunday administration–religious observance, for example, or your very OWN wedding–so be sure to check that out.

AnitaGC, Sunday is an option for an additional $10 fee and a decent explanation of why you need to test on Sunday.

Obviously you’ll only be able to have a sip of the champagne at the toast, but otherwise I think this is an intriguing and possibly stress-REDUCING way of going about it. We’ve had people travel a little ways from home to take the MCAT in order to remove themselves from daily distractions… this is just a little more involved!
I would strongly suggest that you spend some of your time on your arrival day, Friday, making VERY sure that you’re clear on how to get from hotel to MCAT test site Sunday morning. And that you have clear discussions with hotel staff about your need for express check-out. You’ll want to have Sunday morning’s departure go perfectly smoothly - spend a few minutes thinking about how to be sure that happens and I think you’re good to go.
Oh, and plan ahead for things like losing luggage, flight arriving late, the usual stuff…
The day before the MCAT, I attended my early class then familiarized myself with the test site (it was on my campus but a building I didn’t know well), then I went to the mall, shopped for my interview suit, went out to lunch, then went to the movies that night with my husband. Did nothing even remotely MCAT related except for the reconnaissance trip which definitely counted only as peace of mind.
I think the wedding of a close friend would be a wonderful diversion from MCAT nerves and a great way to clear your head going into the test! Have fun!
Mary

Thanks for all your suggestions, everybody!
Since my main priority is getting a test center at Northwestern (both the chapel and hotel are near the campus), I’ve decided to register for Saturday in order to better enjoy the wedding. If I don’t get that site, then I’ll put in for a change to Sunday (I’ll say I became “born-again” in the interim! ), since the MCAT office said the Sunday centers are rarely filled.
crossing fingers

When I read the subject line, I was thinking it was your wedding. Just picture the Bridezilla/MadCATter combo you could be. Sounds like you have a good solution worked out. Let’s hope it is not the “first” time you plan to take the MCAT but the only time! Good luck.

Quote:

Thanks for all your suggestions, everybody!
Since my main priority is getting a test center at Northwestern (both the chapel and hotel are near the campus), I’ve decided to register for Saturday in order to better enjoy the wedding. If I don’t get that site, then I’ll put in for a change to Sunday (I’ll say I became “born-again” in the interim! ), since the MCAT office said the Sunday centers are rarely filled.
crossing fingers

Is the start of the wedding late enough to accommodate this? My own MCAT let out at about 4:30 but I’ve heard of people getting out much later and it’s not something you can count on - each site has its own officiating crew and some are more efficient than others. I think it was OPM Linda Wilson a few years ago who was stuck at her site until after 6pm… horror story but it does happen. Sorry to bring this up but unfortunately the MCAT doesn’t always run like clockwork.
Mary

Hah! No, I would hope a future doc would plan well enough to avoid booking her own wedding on the day of the MCAT…

That’s a very good point - I read several stories about this on SDN as well, and apparently NU is notorious for poor proctoring.
Fortunately, the wedding is moderately informal, and my friend said there was enough flexibility to begin at 6:30 pm (she’s also arranging to have my dress waiting in the bride’s quarters, since we all know how accomodating the AAMC are about bringing “extra items” into the exam room!).