Weird Feeling

So I had my last final on Saturday and today I got this weird feeling leaving the gym. I HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. No Classes, No applications, No MCAT, No Interviews, No HPSP app. After what seems like 1.5 years of preparing for medical school and applying, I have a solid month unitl I take BioChem, with nothing med-school related to worry about. It really is kind of stressful.

HA… Merry Christmas, Bailey!!!

I love it… that has to feel so awesome. Enjoy every second! You will have very little time in the forseeable future that feels like this!

hey bailey, other than biochem, what else do you plan on doing before med school starts? i have my biochem final today and then i will have a lot of free time for the next 6 months so i’m wondering what others are doing (or suggest doing).

Probably going to get some work. Either tutoring or in a hospital. The wife has been on STD (as to yet undiagnosed muscluar/neruo issues), so a little extra cash flowing in would be nice. Still gonna volunteer at the Pharm, to get my PharmCo studying in. And probably packing/househunting in Des Moines. Oh and maybe I’ll take the MCAT again for fun (BIG J/K there)

• BaileyPup Said:
I have a solid month unitl I take BioChem, with nothing med-school related to worry about. It really is kind of stressful.

Hehe! It's called "vertigo at apogee" = when you have been head down running into a brick wall and it crumbles, and you find yourself stumbling around with the bricks at your feet, blinking and disoriented. It's the sudden change in momentum and direction.... Congrats on destroying that brick wall!

Kate

I vote for working 50% and playing the other 50%. Sometimes its hard, because I feel like I should be Doing Something when I’m having fun. But I’m getting better at it, and its really great to have time to spend with my extended family before I go across the country.

For example, I shall jump off this computer and read a book of little to no educational value for several hours. I’ll go to my part-time job later tonight, and I’ll do real nerd work on the computer tomorrow, followed by dinner with family.

It’s an amazing feeling, and I think we should all cherish it while we have it. Don’t squander the free time before next year’s med-school grind.

I agree–cherish the time, balance work, play, and family time. You’ll be hip-deep in alligators before you know it.

I’m an M1. If you take Moore’s or Gray’s and study Anatomy, you’ll be very well prepared for first semester.

I’m not sure why everyone says it’s not a good idea. Lectures are a total waste of time for the most part, most learning in medical school is independent.

Even if you just memorize cranial nerves, brachial plexus, muscle attachments/innervations, you’ll have a much easier time.

raffster, I will be starting medschool this coming Fall. Would you recommend taking A&P I (maybe II also) at a CC? I’m trying to plan what to do for the next 7/8 months. I will be working full-time and volunteering, but I think I have a room for a class or two.

raffster - i tend to agree with you and am planning on independently studying anatomy before i start med school. it definitely can’t hurt, i won’t be paying any money to do it, and i think i’ll enjoy it (especially at a leisurely pace). i’m excited for med school haha!

Drumstick - I do not think it is absolutely necessary to take a formal A&P course, if you have the self-discipline to self-study for 1.5-2 hrs/day. If cost isn’t an issue though, and there is a lab component, it would no doubt help you. And also, if you think taking the class would give you more structure, then by all means, it is a great idea. However, it is by no means the only way to get prepared for Anatomy.

One of the toughest aspects of anatomy is the great deal of memorization involved.

In your med school anatomy class, you will definitely need to know the origin, insertion, innervation, and function of almost all the muscles of the body. I HIGHLY recommend making a well-made chart with this, organized by the different regions. Keep this chart with you when school starts, it will be invaluable.

If the idea of reading directly from Gray’s Anatomy or Moore’s Clinical Anatomy seems a bit overwhelming, I would HIGHLY recommend reading the BRS Anatomy book. It is a relatively small, condensed, well-written overview of most of the anatomy you will be learning. It is a common favorite book among med students. I can guarantee that if you study the BRS book, you will have a much, much, easier time in Anatomy.

I’m sure many people are going to discourage you from getting prepared, but I wish someone had told me this when I was starting. I just barely managed to pass anatomy, so I am giving you the advice I wish I had received.

Best of luck!

raffster - Thank you very much for your reply. I think I’ll just get one of those books and study on my own. I’m very excited to start medical school. Thanks again.

watch TV, read a non medical book, surf the internet for mindless and mindnumbing games because as Old Man Dave puts it “Mr. Toad’s wild ride is about to begin”

Enjoy the time that you have before medical school. You’ll have plenty of time to study once you’re in.