"What Are My Chances"

I’m getting really anxious about this, I want to figure out, realistically, what kind of shot I have.

I realize posts like these are made ad nauseum so I appreciate anyone willing to give input.

I am doing a post bacc right now. I have a MS, and work as a speech language pathologist. I have 5 years of clinical experience (skilled nursing) and one year in education.

I did pretty consistent volunteering rom 2005-2009- food pantries and mentorship programs, etc. Then a break during grad. school and work, and have resumed doing after school tutoring, and possibly will volunteer at a Ronald McDonald house over this past year.

I have some leadership experience, having been a mentor for at-risk kids during my freshman year of college, and was a resident assistant.

I am the first person in my family to graduate from college, the first to go to and graduate from graduate school.

I did some transferring between schools after changing my major. Had some class drops, and some not great grades but mostly A’s and B’s.

My primary issue was/is time management and organization. That is something I’ve been doing a lot of work to fix, but definitely a big contributor to my sort of “meh” GPA.

When I did the AMCAS GPA calculator these were my results (I am adding in what I am working towards with my post-bacc).

AMCAS Post Bac GPA

Running Overall GPA

Post Bac BCPM GPA

Running BCPM GPA

All Other Post Bac GPA

Running All Other GPA

I haven’t taken the MCAT yet. I have basically all my science courses that I need to complete before I do so. It may be hubris, but I calculated the GPA assuming best case scenario- all A’s in post bacc. Except one class I did get a B in. That was due to my poor time management. But this semester I think I have done a lot to improve that, so I’m trying to be optimistic.

Oh and my grad school GPA is 3.7

If you’ve been in the professional world, your undergrad GPA won’t really impact you outside of any screening processes, so you should be fine. At least one admissions dean told me straight up that they’re more concerned with recent academic performance more than they are necessarily how you fared 5+ years ago. One interviewer said that they only wanted to talk about classes with C’s or lower (see, you can get to an interview with a C…) You should be fine from that standpoint. You don’t need a 4.0 to get into med school…

It’ll be all in how you sell yourself and how your MCAT turns out.

I know it’s hard, but don’t worry about things you can’t change. Plan for contingencies (ie grades), but predominantly A’s in a post-bacc is good…

Great, thanks. That’s one thing I had heard…but I have to say. Some of the kids (not that I’m much older) in the post bacc are REALLY intense about it all.

Let them be intense. It doesn’t change anything in any way. I personally enjoy life a little more when I’m relaxed… Obviously you want to do well, but how well YOU do has NOTHING to do with how well they do.

You’re not competing against them per se. It’s like a job application, you are who you are. If it’s what the business is looking for as a whole, they’ll pick you. You’re completely different and have a different pool of characteristics and skills to offer that straight-through-college kid doesn’t have. Use that to your advantage when you try to sell yourself.