What did you/would you give up for Medicine?

Thought I’d start this one…just for grins…
I wanted to see what people would give up for medicine…or particularly…to become a physician.
I am, in a way, reinventing myself entirely. I am leaving a “stable” career in technology (which I hate) to go back to school eventually full time and then hopefully to med school. I’ve adopted a life of frugality and piousness (ha!) to try to make financial life in the future a little bit easier…and…I’m giving up my Mercedes. Sometime, hopefully, in the next couple of weeks…it will be sold…and I’ll be driving a really crappy, really old, yet really paid for and then some car instead…tired of affording the “luxury” of a luxury car and hoping to put the money to good use somewhere else.
I’m willing to give up satellite television…but my husband and kids are not…I’ve cut them way back though.they seem to be doing alright with it…
I’m also giving up my sanity…LOL…
so how about everyone else? What are you/would you give up for medicine?
Andrea

This is an interesting topic. Although I know it’s nothing like what will be expected of me in med school, I’ve been going without as much sleep. I’ve been getting about five to six hours of sleep this week.
These are things Jennifer and I have given up:
1. Dining out (for the most part). Jennifer is a wonderful cook (she hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America) and it really is a waste to eat out when she can cook something better than we can buy out. And it saves money. We do go out when we have our date night each week.
2. New clothes. This is particularly hard. Jennifer and I love clothes and it’s hard not to buy, especially now that the new Fall clothes are coming in. I used to buy new clothes about once a week. I didn’t wear the same pair of shoes twice in a week. Now, I’ve been wearing the same ones for about a year now.
3. Listening to music. About the only time I can listen to music is in the car, which leads me to
4. Not buying CDs. I love music, and the last CD I bought was Wilco’s Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I used to buy CDs by the handful.
Whew. Now I’m depressed. huh.gif

Ummm. I’m giving up a nice, stable, flexible 8-to-5 job that pays really well. I’m also giving up my chance at a cushy government pension in 28.5 years.
When I start med school, I know I’m going to have to give up TV altogether. I assume I’ll also lose some time with my husband and kids. sad.gif
But, I will be gaining something that will make me a happier, and more fulfilled person - although also a poorer and more tired one!
I can’t wait to start!
Pam

Hmmmmm, interesting question. I thought I'd just skip answering this one but I started thinking about it and thought yes I did give up things to pursue this dream. I used to work f/t then p/t as a nurse and I was still doing ok financially, yes, with my husband's salary included. I gave up all my health benefits from work so I could work per diem but we did take out a separate private policy with a big deductible for me as a safety net. No more professional manicures, pedicures, facials, massages ( I do my own now, hubby gives me a mini massage when I'm totally stressed), now I wait for extreme mark downs in clothes before I buy any. Big fancy restaurant dinners reserved for birthdays, holidays and whoever is buying. I gave up a lot of fun time with my husband (who is my best friend) and fun times with my best girlfriend and friends in general. I just don't have the leisure time to read my 'girlie' magazines, go to movies when I feel like it, read long novels. . . . so ya I gave up things, but my husband and friends are rootin' for me and the other stuff is just stuff. But I'm happier now than I've been in a long time! This journey feels so right for me and I feel truly blessed that I can pursue this dream of mine. Vita (in Milwaukee–Go Packers!)

Let me toss in a piece of advice…do not focus on what all you are sacrificing. That is merely fast-track to depression! Focus the fact that you are one of the precious few who are lucky enough to get to try it again, when you know what you didn't know then. And, you may just end up being a physician.
Do not look at it as a life filled with giving things up and comparing it with your friends as they acquire things. Choose to see it for what it is…you have chosen a different and more challenging path. At the end of that path will be substantial rewards and I am not referring to the monetary or material aspects.
I am referring to the incredible professional & personal satisfaction you will enjoy knowing that you have really & truly helped someone. There is an indescribable feeling that comes with knowing that your patients trust you implicitly with the things that matter most to them - their lives & health and the lives & health of their loved ones. There could be no greater reward.

To pursue medicine I’d gladly give up the following:
- my fear of spiders
- my allergy to poison ivy
- 10 lbs of fat
- my expertise in nagging
- my fear of rejection
To pursue medicine I’d reluctantly give up the following:
- Krispy Kreme blueberry donuts
- my white trash persona
- Animal Planet
- my flashlight fetish
- my obsession with pocket knives
Medicine can kiss my @$$ if I’m asked to give up the following:
- my cat Gulley
- Pepsi
- Coffee and/or afternoon Tea
- my sanity
- my geek cred
Actually, this is a very good question to ask. When I first started seriously considering medicine, a friend of mine and I hashed about the details. Why did I want to be an MD? What were my fears and expectations? What would I give up, and what would I gain?
However, as Dave pointed out, when I started focusing on what all I’d have to give up, without considering the end result, I became overwhelmed. Having “inventoried” the how and why of my desire to pursue medicine, I feel far more comfortable with the process. I still curse the idiocy of the application process and bemoan the subjectivity in acceptance, but I do so with the knowledge that it’s simply part of the journey.
– Rachel

QUOTE (Duck @ Aug 29 2002, 09:04 PM)
To pursue medicine I'd reluctantly give up the following:
- my flashlight fetish

LOL !!
here is a feeding for flashlight fans: LED
here in earthquake country I have these:
desk at work (1)
backpack (1)
night table (1)

For a while I pondered what I’d be and was giving up, but now I just say to my friends "Hey, I had a life for 35 years. That’s more that many can say. And, now I get to chase my dream."
Besides, there really is nothing that compelling on television that I would put down a chemistry book to go watch.
It’s kind of like dieting – stay focused on the long term goal, not what you’re missing at that second.

Hey All,
Giving up versus getting? Not even close! However, after finding a niche in Medical Admin. and Risk Management (which is fairly secure), to take on a lifetime of study (involving personal risk) sounds daunting. I am willing to give up:
* My good friends (who all are physicians) giving me stern council against “going back.”
* All of my family members considering me certifyable.
* Most good surfing days.
* Micro brewery Ale (no time to sleep it off)
All in all, as long as I have time with my kids (it will come out of my alloted sleep hours) I will be a happy man.

I’m loving this. Thanks to everybody who has responded so far.
I’ve made progress on my “giving up”. I’ve given up my car and along with it many thousands of dollars in debt in hopes of making life easier… I think it’s working-I’m not sure yet though… LOL…
I think Dave’s right. It’s better to look on the “bright side” of things about what you’ll be getting rather than what you’re giving up…it’s much easier to look at the negative.
what will I be getting? hopefully, satisfaction…a feeling of self-worth…smiling faces … many thank yous…respect…and the knowledge that I will have made a difference in the quality of others’ lives. That’s really what I’m going for. Everything else is gravy, as the saying goes.
I only hope that sometime in between now and then, my family and friends realize WHY I’m really doing this… It’s not for money, it’s not for prestige… it’s for all those things and for them.
Also certifiable,
Andrea

Hi there,
I didn’t give up anything for medicine. It was just another in a string of career changes. Let’s see respiratory therapist, newspaper reporter, TV-news producer, speechwriter, political campaign manager, TV-news writer, research scientist to physician. My next job. I thing surgeon/astronaut.
Nat cool.gif

What I am most pleased to note, as I continue my third year of medical school, is that I haven't given up my family to pursue medicine. This was a big worry for me. I know that my husband would like to see more of me, and that I'm often distracted and tired. But we DO spend time together, we DO occasionally see friends, I DO take the time to talk to my 16 y/o daughter.
In hindsight, time I gave my daughter during a particularly tough period for her two years ago probably caused me to get a conditional in biochem. Big deal. She gained some strength and resiliency that has paid off, and all it cost me was a few weeks' of extra biochem studying. Yeah, it's on my transcript as CN/P but I doubt it matters.
I am not at the top of my class, and I scored average on the USMLE - definitely part of the reason for this is my choice of when to stop studying and start paying attention to my family. I am happy with the results.

QUOTE (Mary Renard @ Oct 18 2002, 01:12 AM)
What I am most pleased to note, as I continue my third year of medical school, is that I haven't given up my family to pursue medicine. This was a big worry for me. I know that my husband would like to see more of me, and that I'm often distracted and tired. But we DO spend time together, we DO occasionally see friends, I DO take the time to talk to my 16 y/o daughter.
In hindsight, time I gave my daughter during a particularly tough period for her two years ago probably caused me to get a conditional in biochem. Big deal. She gained some strength and resiliency that has paid off, and all it cost me was a few weeks' of extra biochem studying. Yeah, it's on my transcript as CN/P but I doubt it matters.
I am not at the top of my class, and I scored average on the USMLE - definitely part of the reason for this is my choice of when to stop studying and start paying attention to my family. I am happy with the results.

Hi Folks,
What Mary so graciously left out is that her passion for medicine and and passion for her family are not mutually exclusive. What her USMLE scores and transcripts fail to show is her outstanding ability to practice good medicine in an environment where patients clamour for a physician like her. She is far from being "average" in her class and is kicking butt on the clinical rounds (I have some inside information). I suspect that fourth year is going to be such a blast for her.
Nat
biggrin.gif
Mary Renard,Oct 18 2002, 01:12 AM wrote:

Just when I feel about to give up/postphone my dream, Mary comes to the rescue AGAIN. Great timing Mary and thanks!!!
Kim

I want to thank everybody for posting to this topic.
Even though I'm not in med school YET, as each day goes by, I learn more of what I'm getting rather than what I'm giving up.
Keep 'em coming.
Andrea

All very encouraging words to read. I am in the process of giving up the comforts and security in life I’ve become accustomed to. I’ve decided to give up my F/T job and move to another state so I can attend school full-time to work on my pre-reqs and be prepared for the 2004 MCAT. I’ll be living with my boyfriend and his family, rent-free…which is better than a 3-hr. long-distance relationship – no time for that commute if I’m busy studying!
I’m only 29 and still haven’t paid off my undergrad loans either, thank goodness I’m classified now as in deferrment and the gov’t is paying the interest!
I’m also facing the task of selling my vehicle (but…unfortunatley I owe more than it’s worth right now, ugh…), figuring out if I can afford Cobra or go with cheap health insurance, paying for school out of pocket (ie: on the credit card!) for the next year as an ‘out-of-state’ student, and I still need to find some sort of part-time job to help pay some bills… I’ve been looking for several months sad.gif
At least I’ll have a roof over my head, be surrounded by supportive friends, and be able to keep my 3 cats!
Ahhhh, bring it on!

Hummm… gave up the badge, gave up the gun. Gave up the beach house on the central coast of California. Gave up the new Grand Cherokee Limited. Gave up manicures, gave up reaallllly nice pay checks. Gave up playing polo on the weekends.
But… you know what?? Living in part of a converted barn on a ranch in Las Vegas (yes, there are ranches here… no, they’re not on "the strip’!! laugh.gif ) and getting yet another BS (this time in Bio… the Criminal Justice one just wasn’t going to get me into medical school), and driving my parents 10 year old camry AINT THAT BAD!!!
Be proud that you’re willing to walk away from the place where you “had it easy.” Be proud that you’re enough of a risk-taker to make the leap and make yourself happy!! WE ARE DOING SOMETHING THAT ONLY A FRACTION OF OUR PEERS WOULD EVER DARE TO DO!!
Just as the trapeze artist must let go of the bar, and fly thru the air holding onto NOTHING to make any forward progress… so must we. I AM, I CAN, and I WILL. No wonder “that other web site” has some of the attitudes that it does… we’re the people who have already done it ONCE, we’re just getting ready to do it again, in THIS arena. It’s got to be incredibly intimidating to some of them!! smile.gif
Christine
PS… and just to prove that the tigress doesn’t change her stripes ENTIRELY… it’s DUI season everyone, be EXTRA EXTRA careful out on the roadways. It would be horrible to make it thru O.Chem just to get taken out by a drunk!!!