What to do what to do?

Hello!

I heard about this forum this morning when I was listening to the Medical School HQ podcast and thought it was the perfect place to go. I’ve been on student doc and it just didn’t seem like the place for me to get advice since I am somewhat non-traditional. I’ve had my bachelor’s degree in economics with a minor in pre-business and Korean from NYU in 2010. I didn’t do all that well and got a GPA of 3.2. However, I decided that I wanted to pursue medicine and decided to apply to a post-bacc program at West Chester University in PA. Because I am out of state, cost was exorbitant and I could only take about 2 classes per semester and used up all my undergrad funds (NYU + out-of-state WCU = $$$$$$$$). I took Bio I, Chem I and II, Physics I and II, and O chem I and II all at WCU. I then took some of the “less rigorous” courses of Psychology, Sociology, A&P I and II at a local community college because I simply couldn’t afford it. My overall science is at about a 3.6-3.7. At the time, I was tutoring students as a source of income because WCU didn’t allow for me to have a working schedule while taking classes and volunteering. I have about 200+ hours of volunteering, gone on several mission trips overseas (non-medical), and briefly worked at nursing home prior to the start of post-bacc. I took the MCATs twice and didn’t score high enough and still applied to medical school and didn’t get in. I’m now working at a large finance company full-time for income but I refuse to give up. I feel the NEED to go to medical school because that’s what I want. I’m currently trying to study for the MCATs after work, putting in about 4-5 hours reading through Kaplan’s 2015 MCAT books.

Any suggestions or advice, comments, or criticism is welcome. I just need some support and assurance that I’m not crazy :lol: and that this is still possible for me. I’m also recently turned 28 so I know it’s not late!

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like it’s still possible. GPA is a little on the low side, does that 3.2 include your post-bacc as well? Sometimes schools are willing to overlook less than stellar performance in the past for excellent recent performance (i wouldn’t call 3.2 terrible, just on the low side of med school).

My biggest advice is you HAVE to do well on the MCAT this time. Taking it 3 times sends up a yellow flag that you either aren’t great at application of knowledge as it is presented on the MCAT, or you made a couple of decisions to take a test that you weren’t ready for. MCAT correlates with board pass rate, so it’s important to prove to the school that you aren’t a gamble. Keep in mind that with the USMLE, failing is bad, and there are no retakes for passing scores, so you get what you get. It’s stressful, but going in with that attitude might help you focus better (if it doesn’t totally freak you out).

For the above, practice tests, practice tests, and practice tests. I realize there probably aren’t that many out there since it’s relatively new, but get your hands on what you can. Nothing helps you prepare academically and mentally for a grueling test like practicing for said grueling test. If the Kaplan books aren’t getting you where you need to be, try other study tactics. I myself bit the bullet and took a prep class (kaplan on demand). It was worth the price for me and it allowed me to be test ready in about 3 months (long hours daily studying).

Agree with Kennymac in that Kaplan is very important. I don’t think the age of the material is significantly important…what is important is that you understand the material. With a low GPA programs will seek to ensure that you perform well on MCATs. Please also don’t forget Khan academy videos for understanding the basic sciences. https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat. Good luck.