When to give up the dream?

I have a craptastic GPA (low 2.Xs), and have the misfortune of realizing that I want to be a doctor after the damage has been done. I could try to make up for it by volunteering (working on a Peace Corps app as we speak), taking basics, and rocking the MCAT, but I feel as though it won’t be enough to convince a med school to take me. Should I give up on this track, and try something else? I have “back up” careers that I’d be just as good at, but medicine holds more of my interest. Any thoughts?

I think you should not give up and try a bit hard to achieve your thoughts instead of changing them. Consult people.

Nearly 100 views and no responses?

I’ll respond. I think what is causing folks to not is that you OP doesn’t offer us a lot of information. Is that your post-bacc GPA or have you taken any classes toward your post-bacc? I don’t want to base any advice on what you originally gave. My UG GPA was a 3.1 for DO schools and probably less when you factor in MD rules, but I retook most of the bad course and have a post-bacc GPA of 3.9. That lead me to 5 DO acceptances, but without knowing all of your story I hate to say no you can’t or yes you can, does that make sense?

I haven’t taken any post-bacc courses. I’m finishing my first degree now. I don’t know what else I can offer, really.

I guess questions that come to mind include: have you reflected on the causes of your prior low GPA? Was it due to lack of motivation or commitment? Were there family emergencies or health problems? A learning disability? How would you do things differently this time around in a post-bacc? Do you need a structured/formal post-bacc or would you be able to self-direct and remain motivated in a DIY post-bacc. Things like that - basically have you thought about why you ended up with the low GPA and what you would do differently in the future. There are plenty of stories here of people with low UG-GPAs who did well on their post-bacc and were accepted to medsch. It is possible and needless to say, requires academic discipline from you going forward.

Okay so that is a start on the information process. Did you take the pre-reqs fof medschool? If so how did you do in those? Are there things you saw yourself do wrongin those classes that you know you can improve upon?

Like I said when I started this process I had a low GPA and had D’s in OChem and C’s in Gen Chem. I went back and traded those for A’s and applied broadly and stongly DO (which allows grade replacement).

I don’t think it is the end of the world, but there is going to be some growing and work. Have you thought about a possible masters degree while taking pre-reqs? A good showing in masters program with strong prereqs can mean a lot to an admissions committee.

I think taking a set of classes later, getting your pre-med reqs out of the way, and doing well n those courses can get you out of the hole. Obviously, the MCAT is important, as is the rest of the “package.” Strong personal statement, some good clinical experiences, community service, etc. It all goes into the process, so I really won’t toss a dream based on GPA alone. There are some practicing physicians connected with this site that started out with bad grades.

Answer: Only when you decide that it is not worth it.

I believe that if you take some post-bacc coursework and do well in them, it may improve your GPA to make you a more competitive candidate. Also, do well on your MCAT. Lastly, if you had difficulties with studying as an undergrad, now is the time to find out – before you start your post-bacc.

• Dullhead Said:
I guess questions that come to mind include: have you reflected on the causes of your prior low GPA? Was it due to lack of motivation or commitment? Were there family emergencies or health problems? A learning disability? How would you do things differently this time around in a post-bacc? Do you need a structured/formal post-bacc or would you be able to self-direct and remain motivated in a DIY post-bacc. Things like that - basically have you thought about why you ended up with the low GPA and what you would do differently in the future. There are plenty of stories here of people with low UG-GPAs who did well on their post-bacc and were accepted to medsch. It is possible and needless to say, requires academic discipline from you going forward.

Good advice.
  • BaileyPup Said:
Okay so that is a start on the information process. Did you take the pre-reqs fof medschool? If so how did you do in those? Are there things you saw yourself do wrongin those classes that you know you can improve upon?

Like I said when I started this process I had a low GPA and had D's in OChem and C's in Gen Chem. I went back and traded those for A's and applied broadly and stongly DO (which allows grade replacement).

I don't think it is the end of the world, but there is going to be some growing and work. Have you thought about a possible masters degree while taking pre-reqs? A good showing in masters program with strong prereqs can mean a lot to an admissions committee.

I haven't taken any basic courses aside from Bio, which I did okay in (B-).

IDK if I can afford a grad program right now, or that it could hold my interest. I know that I could get through most of the basics without a problem, and the administrators at GEMS and Drexel told me what I had to do to make myself competitive for their programs. It just all seems so daunting.

As for study habits, my grades have improved. I'm not perfect quite yet, but I can move (academic) mountains when properly motivated, haha.

Okay so from what I can tell you have barely started. So most of your bad grades come from classes outside the sciences. I would say that helps you to some degree. If you can pull A’s in all your pre-reqs and take some upper level sciences and get good grades I think you would definately have a shot at a DO acceptance. It is all up to you, but I think others on here would agree that it is definately not the end of the world.

Would an allopathic program be out of the question? I admittedly don’t know much about DO programs, and everything about allopathic.

I’m not as sure on allopathic, your cumm. GPA might hinder you, but if you did a post-bacc program some of those are gateway. The problem with allopathic is that they don’t allow grade replacement and they aren’t as forgiving of past failures.

Also, for your personal information, you can check out the American Osteopathic Association’s web site : http://www.osteopathic.org/Pages/default.aspx and read their “what is a DO” link.

Kate

Thanks everyone. I think I have a lot to consider, and you guys made it all a lot clearer. I really appreciate the insight!