when to take MCAT?

I’m done w/ every prereq except for biology.

I’m taking Bio this year from Sept-June. I want to apply to med school this summer. When should I take the MCAT?

The order of my bio classes are:

I’m taking them fall-winter-spring this year.

Genetics and Evolutionary Biology

Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Physiology and Cell Biology

• HeyEveryone Said:
I'm done w/ every prereq except for biology.

I'm taking Bio this year from Sept-June. I want to apply to med school this summer. When should I take the MCAT?

The order of my bio classes are:

I'm taking them fall-winter-spring this year.

Genetics and Evolutionary Biology

Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Physiology and Cell Biology

1) You should take the MCAT only when you are ready. My metric for that is that you have performed consistently well on 4 to 6 full length practice exams, from AAMC and at least one other source, that are taken under realistic and timed conditions.

2) The MCAT does not require the listed bio courses for prep for the exam, though many people feel that they are very helpful.

3) You should take the MCAT anytime before June so that you have the score BEFORE your submit your application. Most students take an April or May exam.

4) I always recommend an MCAT prep course.

Can’t say it any better.

Hello All:

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I have the same question. I have applied the same metrics and seem to have a mixed response. My schedule for the 2012-2013 school year would be:

Fall 2012:

OChem I

Phys I

Cell Bio or A&P

Spring 2013:

Ochem II

Phys II

MCAT Prep (Jan-April)

MCAT (May)

Summer 2013:

Initiate AMCAS

Thoughts?

Thanks All,

TJJ

Is school all that you do or do you work as well? I think it is doable of school (+ volunteering) is all that you are doing, but if you are working as well, it might be a bit much.

My thoughts anyway.

Lynda

I almost second Lynda’s advice. However, I found both organic and physics difficult, and the second semester of organic was a marathon of work. I chose to postpone any sort of MCAT prep until I’d completed organic because I needed all the spare time I had to do lots and lots of practice problems, but I was still working full time.

Another idea is that you could get MCAT materials before the fall semester begins and study as you go, as Lorien has started doing. If you do that you can then devote your winter break to MCAT prep, with a plan to take the real thing in April. That way you have spring break to determine if you’re actually prepared, or need to postpone your test date.

Lynda and Pixie:

Thanks for the response!

I’m full-time in my post-bacc program and working 6 hours a week. I will maintain this type of school/work schedule (perhaps letting the job go next fall) throughout my tenure in the program.

Again, thank you for your time!

TJJ

I know that I wish I had taken genetics when I had taken mine. I know they don’t say you have to have it, but my biology course just barely touched on simple dihybrid crosses. I was getting much more complicated questions in my practice tests that my textbook didn’t even cover well.

I could say the same for some of the enzymatic stuff as well, that we touched on in biochem, which you also aren’t really required to have.

I think full time school and working 6 hrs per week makes MCAT prep very doable. My full time post-bacc program had us take 3 4-credit classes each semester. We all added an MCAT prep class in the spring. I was volunteering 4 hrs per week also. It was very doable. That said, academics was something that was comfortable for me. This may not be the best route for someone who struggles academically. For me, a formal prep program was important as I needed the regimentation of it, keeping me on schedule.

Just my 2 cents.

Also wanted to add that I didn’t need physics since I had it from my original undergrad, so I took A&P and microbiology, which I felt were both helpful on the MCAT. I know they say you don’t need them, but with no bio before post-bacc, felt they rounded out my understanding on the test.