Have taken 6 premed classes:

Bio 1: B

Bio 2: B+

Phys 1: A-

Phys 2: A-

Chem 1: B-

Chem 2: B

postbacc GPA to date: 3.22

I’m currently enrolled in Orgo 1 and Anatomy 1, I have Orgo 2 still to take and may possibly take Anatomy 2 if consensus say it’s needed for GPA.

I shadowed in the pediatric clinic for an entire term and secured LOR from attending doc plus have other solid LOR lined up.

If I get As the rest of the way, I can bring my postbacc GPA back to 3.5. The plan is to take the MCAT next summer after I complete Orgo 2. Where does this leave me?

Thanks for your insight. By the way, I just turned 40 last week.

anyone?

Hi Ubzy

Just out of curiosity, where are you doing your post bacc?

Overall, I would say that your post bacc results are a little weak. You really need to get A’s on the rest and get a solid MCAT score (at least a 30 - evenly distributed).

If you can, I would add a few upper level courses if you can (besides Anatomy) - maybe a biochem and/or genetics (getting A’s of course) to show that you can handle higher level courses.

When do you plan on applying and do you have a preference MD or DO?

Lynda

Hi and welcome to the community,

First I want to say it’s great that you decided to follow this path and that you’ve already taken a lot of classes in pursuit of it. You may have to take more classes to get your GPA up, also I reccomend taking biochem before MCAT, it really puts O Chem into context and pulls a lot of information together needed for that test. If you can take a physiology class that would be useful as well. Some schools also require genetics, so if you do decide to take upper division science that would be a good class to take. Genetics is also tested on the MCAT. If you haven’t already looked into DO schools, they are more forgiving when calculating GPA as they allow grade replacement. MD schools just average grades for repeated classes. Most schools want to see a semester of fulltime class attendence, are you able to do that?

I’m fully expecting DO. I know I don’t have the grades for MD. My undergrad GPA is from over 15 years ago…I’m hopeful that it will be overlooked to some degree (with explanation of course) and the focus will be on the post bacc work. I don’t see taking any other classes than I’ve already taken or what I’m planning to next term. So, adding more classes is really not an option. I’m open to the Caribbean if I can’t get into DO. I think if I can bring my postbacc to over 3.4 with a reasonable MCAT (26 or higher) I may have a decent chance at a DO school.

One question I often ask students is your goal to get into medical school or is to get into medical school quickly?

If I understand your postings correctly, you have a below average GPA with aspirations of raising the GPA with perhaps the hardest course you’ll take, summer Orgo II (likely shortened intensive course) followed by a late summer MCAT (with little time to study because of the summer Orgo II) applying in late summer way behind the rolling admissions cycle?

I would strong suggest that your reconsider the timing, delay the MCAT and application until the following cycle, spent the extra year prepping and prepping for the MCAT (and adding a biochem and other advanced molecular bio course such as genetics, immunology, etc)) and applying the following cycle. A 3.4 from a non trad with a 30+ on the MCAT and an teaching background may open more doors then you think.

Are you a great candidate? No.

Are you letting FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) make you a worse candidate? yes.

Orgo and Orgo 2 are actually being taken this year. I just started Orgo 1 with Anatomy and Physiology. I won’t have finished my prereqs until May.

Ubzy… last summer I planned to take my MCAT in mid-June and apply late cycle in August, and graduate in December.

I postponed my MCAT until I was better prepared, and still got a 29 instead of my target 30. I postponed graduation until May, to fit in 2 more classes that would allow me to apply to a few more schools (physio and microbio) and get my GPA to a 3.4 (which was surprisingly lower when actually calculated by AMCAS/AACOMAS).

I submitted primaries at the end of June and am still working on 2 last secondaries, with only 1 interview offer.

I strongly recommend you not rush. It’s not a race, and the pressure you feel to get to the finish line is all self-inflicted.

Take a deep breath, focus on getting As in everything NOW, and check things off your list as you do them. Don’t keep looking at what’s unchecked.

Good luck,

Pixie

I’m not sure if I explained myself clearly enough. I am one year into a post bacc and have the entire (academic year) to finish the last of the required prereqs, plus I’m also taking anatomy and physiology 1. Next summer, I will sit for the MCAT, after I’ve taken an MCAT prep course in the spring 2012.

My options are this:

1. Finish up what’s scheduled - Orgo 1 (Fall) and 2 (Spring), anatomy and physiology 1 (Fall), MCAT prep. (Spring), Summer MCAT

2. The above, plus add one class in the Spring. Could be Anatomy and Physiology 2, or higher level Biochemistry .

3. Some other plan

I don’t see extending the premed classes beyond the Spring (preferable), or possibly after a class in the summer, then take MCAT late summer.

So to clarify, your schedule would look like the following:

Fall 2011:

Orgo I

A & P I

Spring 2012:

Orgo II

Biology Elective

MCAT Prep

Summer 2012:

MCAT

Initiate AMCAS

Ok, so if I have these pieces right, here is my “2-cents.”

1. The Fall 2011 schedule looks fine. Of course, shoot for the A’s in the classes.

2. The Spring 2012 schedule can be tricky. Some schools allow applicants to substitute Orgo II with Biochem (you would have to look specifically at the schools to which you would like to apply). This would address your desire not to spend another year in school. Yet, if you are out for the year, you need to do something meaningful like more volunteer work and not just take a break. If you don’t have something in mind, taking upper division courses such as some of the courses mentioned would be a great idea.

3. Taking the MCAT in the summer would make you a late applicant. Because there is rolling admissions for medical schools, you don’t want to find yourself late in this process. Therefore, your options would be to take the April 2012 MCAT and initiate the AMCAS in Summer 2012, take the August 2012 MCAT and initiate the AMCAS in Summer 2012 (late applicant), or take the MCAT during the 2012-2013 school year and initiate the AMCAS in Summer 2013.

Bottom line: You are looking towards a Fall 2013 or Fall 2014 matriculation.

I hope this all made sense and good luck!

TJJ

Thanks TJJ, that’s about how I have it figured too.

There is a linkage to a DO school which I’m going to try for but with my 3.22 gpa so far, it’s probably not realistic, just a guess. They do let anyone apply for the linkage who is above 3.2 so I can apply.

Someone applied to the linkage last year and was accepted by the summer. They took the MCAT in April I believe.

The question remains however, do I need to take an elective in the Spring. How much is it going to help my chances. I rather just focus on Orgo 2 and MCAT prep, especially if I take the MCAT in April and I’m afraid an added class to kill my MCAT prep time.

That is a very good point. Perhaps you do as you plan, take the MCAT as early as possible next summer (even May would be OK). Then take a couple of courses during the glide year - you would need to indicate you are doing so on you applications (there is a section for that). Then as the application season progresses and you get your grades in, you can update the schools from whom you haven’t heard or who are holding your application.

Just a thought.

“There is a linkage to a DO school which I’m going to try for but with my 3.22 gpa so far, it’s probably not realistic, just a guess. They do let anyone apply for the linkage who is above 3.2 so I can apply. Someone applied to the linkage last year and was accepted by the summer. They took the MCAT in April I believe.”

I say GO FOR IT! The worse that can happen is that you actually get it in (if this is a program to which you would like to apply.)

“The question remains however, do I need to take an elective in the Spring. How much is it going to help my chances. I rather just focus on Orgo 2 and MCAT prep, especially if I take the MCAT in April and I’m afraid an added class to kill my MCAT prep time.”

I would shoot for the Spring schedule that I outlined in the previous post sans the elective course. However, if you were to select an elective course, I would choose Biochemistry (this course is a requirement at many medical schools, so taking the class can only help your application, achieving an A of course

The fact remains that only you know you. There are 1st years in my my post-bacc who are taking 3 science class (with labs) and a math class. For me, that would be insane and I am not working. But some OPM’s, like terra_incognita had this same schedule and received all A’s. If you were considering three science classes, MCAT prep, and the MCAT, well…BEWARE!

Again, hope this helped!

TJJ

Thanks for the advice. I emailed the director of admissions at this medical school my school is linked with and she’s invited me in for a meeting early next week. I’m looking forward to it and will hopefully find out what I need to do to make myself an even more attractive candidate.