Which Job as a Pre-Med

@MedicalSchoolHQ wrote:

A podcast episode coming out in a couple weeks talks about the biggest mistakes students that don’t get an acceptance make. It’s lack of clinical experience. The former Dean of Admissions talks about how a scribe is one of the best jobs for experience. It’s a low paying job, but it’s a great one! P.S. - if you don’t know what podcast I’m talking about - it’s The Premed Years - https://medicalschoolhq.net/iTunes

I’m currently working as a scribe and can say it has truly been a wonderful experience. Like every job, it has it’s drawbacks, but I’ve been lucky. The doctors I work with enjoy the teaching aspect of it. So, I’ve learned A LOT. I’ll definitely have to cut back once I return to school because it’s going to be nearly impossible for me to travel for work and commit to school. But, that being said there’s a lot of flexibility in the respect that I could actually return to clinical shifts vs site implementation which is manageable.

Hi all

First post here - looks like a great resource!

Does anyone know how to become an ER Tech and/or EMT in Georgia? I’m also looking for a pre-med job, and have been trying to figure out the best way to become an EMT…without much success. Would be great to hear from an insider!

Also, what is the approximate pay for these positions?

Thanks!

I can’t speak specifically for Georgia, but it’s the same process in most places. For EMT-B, you’ll need to take a training course, then pass a practical and written exam. The EMT course will last about a semester (but can vary based on the time commitment). You can probably find a course at your local community college, medical training facility (nursing/medical school), or some EMS services offer the course directly.

Your pay will be close to minimum wage (with some variations based on shift, or type of work).