Which online test prep is best?

Hey everyone,

I am trying to decide on an online test prep service and have pretty much narrowed it down to Kaplan and the “Best mcat books”. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Emily

LOL! Sorry I cannot help too much, but I thought I would point out the humor in that there were ZERO on-line prep options when I was pre-med and that was not that long ago! At that time, your options were flying solo, Kaplan & Princeton Review. Between the 2 pay-for options, both have puses & minuses and it really boiled down to which worked best for your schedule. I did TPR for the MCAT & then used Kaplan to prep for my Step 2 boards.

• OldManDave Said:
Between the 2 pay-for options, both have puses & minuses and it really boiled down to which worked best for your schedule.

I realize this was merely a typo, but is it alright if it made me giggle quite a bit? It offered quite the mental visual.

I had taken the online Kaplan Course. It was about 10 years since I had the material and it took me 2 years to relearn it. With regards to the Kaplan On-line you need to ensure that you are the kind of person that can sit and listen to a lecture and not be able to get your questions answered right away as well as be able to have a proper schedule.

What I did was the following:

Sunday: 7am-1pm Online Lecture (I did this at Panera Bread since my kids were smaller and I could not make them be quiet and Panera has free wi-fi)

Monday-Wednesday: Homework/Quizzes/Tests

Thursday-Friday: Prepare for the next lecture.

You need to be honest with yourself when you are taking the quizzes because you are only going to be fooling yourself if you take the quizzes with the book open or if you do not really review why you got an answer wrong. For example, if you answered a question incorrectly, do not just say “I was thinking about it that way, well next time” Understand WHY you selected the wrong answer and go back to the material to see WHY your thinking was not correct.

It takes a lot of dedication and time to do an online course because only YOU are the one going to class and the only one taking the tests and deciding when you want to attend lecture.

Good luck

There is a new site that has a lot of MCAT study content on it called the The Study Barn (www.studybarn.com). Best of all it is 100% free. You will be surprised what they offer. On top of that the site offers tools to create and share your own study content for any topic.