woah - medical school APPLICATIONS are expensive!

I fixed it for you.

• croooz Said:
Florida and Texas are very non-resident friendly. An out of state applicant stands a better chance getting accepted to Harvard than a Florida school. Uof Miami doesn't count since it's private.

I'm with obesedude...I think you just contradicted yourself, crooz.

Yes, that is true - Florida schools are not very non-resident friendly.

Looking through the MSAR today, I saw that Georgetown (I think it was, not 100% sure) gets about 11,000 applications a year, and their secondary will run you $130. If they send a secondary to everyone… that’s one meelion dollars from secondaries alone!

Guys it is really IMPORTANT that you go through the MSAR with a very critical eye and really look into how many OOS applicants applied, how many were received interviews, and how many were accepted.

obesedude,

I found this on-line. http://www.ltsc.ucsb.edu/health/info_sheets/wh ich_…

Do not apply to the following schools unless you are a resident of that state:

University of Alabama, University of S. Alabama, University of Arizona, University of Connecticut, University of East Tennessee, University of Florida, University of South Florida, Mercer University, University of Kansas, University of Hawaii, Southern Illinois University at Springfield, University of Indiana,

Louisiana State University (at New Orleans), Louisiana State University (at Shreveport), University of Massachusetts, University of Minnesota (Duluth), University of Mississippi, University of Missouri, University of

Nebraska, University of Nevada, University of New Jersey, SUNY-Buffalo, University of New Mexico, University of North Carolina, Northeastern Ohio University, East Carolina University, University of North Dakota, University of South Dakota, Brown University, Medical College of Georgia, University of South Carolina, University of Puerto

Rico, Texas A and M, Texas Tech, University of Tennessee, University of Washington, University of West Virginia.

Some of these may be good options:

Albany, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Vermont, Rochester, New York Medical, St. Louis University, Chicago Medical School (Finch), Hahnemann, Loyola University of Chicago Stritch, Medical College of Ohio, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania State, George Washington, Temple, Jefferson, Georgetown, USC

I agree to check out books such as MSAR as you make your decision.

Good luck!

Note: Medical College of Ohio is now the University of Toledo College of Medicine (They merged last year). All of the Ohio schools (with the exception of NEOUCOM) take at least 25% from out of state. Ohio State’s Class of 2010 was 45% out of staters. Of course, admission for out-of-staters is considerably more competitive than it is for in-staters - OSU received three times as many OOS as IS applications for the class of 2010 (3071 vs 1070), and those stats are similar for the Ohio Schools.

The Ohio medical schools: Ohio State, University of Cincinnati, Wright State, University of Toledo, NEOUCOM (Northeastern Ohio Universities COM), Case Western, and Ohio University. Of those, only Case is private - the rest are state schools. OU is a DO school, the rest are MD. I believe OU is a fairly well regarded DO school. NEOUCOM is primarily a six year BS/MD program that takes 30-45 students directly into the MD portion each year, depending on how many spots have become available from BS/MD students taking an extra year and/or dropping out of the program.

For the uninitiated this… is for sarcasm. So if I say that Florida schools love OOS applicants and use then I’m being sarcastic which means that Florida schools do NOT love OOS applicants.

Without the sarcasm…

Florida and Texas schools do NOT care for OOS applicants. Like Judy has posted and what was stated at the conference look at the MSAR to see what the % of OOS applicants the schools accepts. You have to decide what % is acceptable to you to apply.

Oops, I didn’t catch that. Thanks for setting me straight…even though, I should figure that it being you…sarcasm would be a given.

• croooz Said:

I am in IL so I am applying to my neighboring states, including IN, IA, WI, and MN. I have to take a shot.

I’m also applying to U. of South Alabama since I spent a significant amount of time in a Ph.D. program there. And I absolutely fell in love with Mobile.

My point is, if you have some ties to the state I wouldn’t rule them out.

crooz, thanks for explaining. honestly, i was considering applying to florida schools because of what you said. my advisor said i should apply to all the texas schools too but now i am not so sure. i am gonna follow up by looking in the msar.

I’m thinking the same thing. I’ve been living in North Carolina for a few years, but I had been an Indiana resident for most of my life. I’ll apply to IU even though I’m living in another state now. Likewise, I’ll probably apply in Illinois and Michigan since I spent substantial time (and paid substantial state income tax) working there. I may not be a state resident, but I can make a case for being motivated to remain in any of those areas after graduation. More importantly, all of those places put me near family. It would be wondeful to be able to day-trip to see my folks every once in a while.

Tim

obese,

sorry about the confusion. Use the MSAR. Advisors IME are very limited in their knowledge but won’t admit to this. The premed advisor at FIU basically treated me like I was a complete idiot. Her advice was actually to come here and get information. Not bad advice but what exactly was her job I wonder?

YES! This is an expensive process!

And weather you want it or not, you’ll spend some money, that you haven’t planned for!

I applied to only 11 schools (at least comparing to the number of school an average applicant applies to), becasue I was really geographically limited as to where I could move. I got 3 interviews that, thank God, I didn’t have to fly to, but I had to stay in a hotel once, b/c of the snow (so even if the school is close, you may have to end up spending money you haven’t expected to).

In the very last month I spent a lot of money I haven’t planned for: I signed up for the CB MCAT for August, being sure I had to retake it (after I cancelled they only refunded half) I got accepted to EVMS off the wait list after May 15th, which means that $100 deposit was unrefoundable. I found the house to live down in Norfolk, and to keep the spot I paid July rent ($550). And although I’ve cancelled it already, I know they are going to cash the check next week!

I know all these expenses add up to often astronomical sums. But in comparison to all the money you’re going to invest in you medical education it’s just a drop in a ocean. At least I like to think that way. And if becoming a doctor is the only thing you imagine doing, it’s worth every penny!!!

Kasia

Doesn’t hurt that doctors make over $1,000,000 in private practice during their first year. More sarcasm there. I need to work on that.

• croooz Said:
Doesn't hurt that doctors make over $1,000,000 in private practice during their first year. More sarcasm there. I need to work on that.

Wait! THere's no freakin' way that doctors make $...

Ah... you almost got me, sneaky sarcasm dood!

isn’t that what the pot of gold on my ticker is supposed to represent? wait… I WON’T make a million bucks as a family doctor? D-OH–!

Mary

down to 6 chart dictations and 15 notes and then I am DONE, baby!

I imagine that must feel pretty good…

Congratulations on finishing that long haul!

Are you going to miss it?

Good luck with whatever comes next.

<<

Do not apply to the following schools unless you are a resident of that state:

SUNY-Buffalo

>>

I don’t think this info sheet is fair-- 26.1% of SUNY-Buffalo students are out-of-state residents, according to the AAMC.

Source: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2003/2003s chool.htm

If you think you are qualified and are interested in joining me in the icebox upstate, please apply!

Not to mention the rest of the list is rather suspect. 69.2% of University of Alabama medical students are out of staters!

not everything you find on the web is accurate information - that is why I left the link in case it was helpful. Information in the Princeton Review “best 162 medical schools” doesn’t seem to match up to some of the stats on this forum so I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt.