Women's Interview clothing

Sorry if this sounds odd…
Could anyone recommend a designer/store than makes decent looking suits for larger (16/18) size women; especially ones that could be bought in different size tops & bottoms? Seems I can hardly find anything without sequins or baby kittens on it .
I’ve lost about 10 lbs. but in case I get an interview before I reach a “mainstream” size I want to be ready.
Thanks ladies!

Maybe try August Max. The Petite Sophisticate/Casual Corner/August Max (same merchandise, different sizes) has some cute trendy stuff, but always has the basics and I think they do sell their suits as separates. Usually the stores are tied together, so if you end up with a size 16 bottom and a size 12 top, you may be able to go right next door and get the other half of the suit.
In actual “designer” designer suits, Tamotsu used to have a reputation for making a wider range of sizes.
I haven’t shopped for a suit in a while; I’ve been shopping recreationally at thrift stores (which takes patience) and am actually going to make my interview suit.

Denise,
You are going to make your interview suit? Wow! My husband sews on the buttons at our house. My son won’t even ask me (LOL). Obviously, sewing is not one of my strengths.

Try Lane Bryant. Their sizes start at 14, and most of their stuff is very nice. I looked at their online catalog, and they offer skirts/pants/jackets as separates.

Hey lurker - no, you are NOT odd! Last year I was having similar problems – I went with my mother as backup and found a nice black interview set (skirt and jacket) by Charter Club Woman, 16W, WPL 8046 (Macy’s-Rich’s). I spent over $175 total, but I compromised by buying several silk blouses at a thrift store. I found the suit well worth the investment – I ended up wearing it to different interviews, then to class presentations, special events etc.
Also, have you checked out Lane Bryant ? Quite a selection available, some on sale.
The age of “uglee clothes” for women of size is mercifully coming to an end!!
-Sara

Quote:

Denise,
You are going to make your interview suit? Wow! My husband sews on the buttons at our house. My son won’t even ask me (LOL). Obviously, sewing is not one of my strengths.

I’ve been sewing since I was nine years old (off and on). My mother, who taught me, was originally a home ec teacher before we moved to Louisiana and she suddenly had to become a science teacher. I haven’t made a suit in a while, but I’d like to do this. One of the things I told Judy Colwell in response to the “tell me about yourself” question was that I sew. “Oh, did you make that?” was her natural next question. I think it would be fun to say yes in my interviews, should someone ask.
I’m excited about it. I found a rich, dark blue wool crepe at Vogue Fabrics in Evanston, IL, and nearby a subtle silk print that looks like it was made for it. True to form, on a day when half the store was on sale, I bought the wool crepe at full price.

Quote:

I’m excited about it. I found a rich, dark blue wool crepe at Vogue Fabrics in Evanston, IL, and nearby a subtle silk print that looks like it was made for it. True to form, on a day when half the store was on sale, I bought the wool crepe at full price.

Wow! Vogue Fabrics. That was where I bought the first yards of material when I learned to sew, a long time ago. :slight_smile: I’m delighted to know that they are still there. I may be in Evanston (where I grew up) for Northwestern’s alum weekend this fall. A visit to Vogue may be in order.
Cheers,
Judy

Yay! A sewing conversation! Or should I say a sewing thread??
I love to sew too. I learned from my grandma and my aunt, who’s a tailor. I haven’t made anything major in a long time, but I love to revamp vintage dresses and other old stuff. I’m so impressed by your plan to make an interview suit! (Seams sew easy, but I bet it’s not…) If I got to Chicago this year I’ll have to look up that fabric store. Here in Minneapolis it is hard to find fabric that is not intended for crafts.
How do you find time for sewing, Denise, on top of school, work and everything else?
Sorry I don’t have any advice to add on top of what’s already here, just wanted to chime in.

I squeeze almost all of my sewing in in between semesters.
DEFINITELY go to Vogue if you’ll be in Chicago. It’s hands down the best fabric store I’ve even been in in my entire life, and I’m counting Britex in San Francisco. If you like costume type fabric, there’s a funky little store around 22nd street downtown (iffy neighborhood) with fabulous odd little fabrics and trims. Fishman’s, also downtown, has truly fine fabrics and is a bit more like G Street in DC. Fewer bargains, though.
With the world of fusibles, suits are much easier than they used to be. Tailoring (as I’m sure your aunt taught you) is really more about pressing than sewing, and wool crepe is as forgiving a fabric as can be. Once I’m past the welted pockets, it’s all gravy.
I should be in bed now. I’m going to Canada to dance tomorrow!
Seth sews, too; there are a bunch of us here.

I’d also try Nordstrom or for the more thrift conscious Nordstrom Rack. Their encore dept is completely for the “larger” woman and they have all the best designers for suits. Plus at the mainline store any alterations will be free as well (not sure about the Rack).
Good luck!
–Jessica, UCCS

I sew… or I used to sew…
anyway… if you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you… they frequently have a good variety of suits and things of that nature… many of the department stores also have things… not sure what department stores you have by you but Lord and Taylor, Hecht’s and Belk’s usually have a good selection.
Good luck!
Andrea
the last thing I sewed was floor pillows… LOL

ex-lurker,
aside from Lane Bryant and August Max, you might look online as well. There are lots of larger size clothing out there, I know, I had to buy a women’s suit in a size 32W!! Anyway, there is also Dress Barn, Avenue, and Catherines, which also go up to size 32W, so at a tiny (my perspective) 16/18 you should be able to find something from one of those. Best of luck!
Kathy

I’ve sewn since I was 3, so this is great to have people writing about sewing here. While I didn’t make my interview suit, I did make my wedding dress, plus my suits, dresses, draperies, coats, etc. for years. If you’re in San Francisco, head to Britex… one of the largest fabric stores in the US. sigh…
For interview suits: if you don’t have good stores around you, try on-line at Speigel, Chadwicks, Newport News, etc. While I’m not a large person (I can pretty much throw on an off-the-rack size 6), I found some great suits and separates on the clearance sections of these on-line stores. Sometimes things are as little as $9 each, which is less than I can usually make them for.
Good luck!

JC Penneys has some great selections now. I just bought a number of great looking professional clothes in their women’s section. I also have good luck at Kohls if you have one near you they have a larger selection of clothes in the Women’s dept. I am also a 16/18 although I have been doing weight watchers and am hoping to go down a whole bunch. It is a great program.

I was fortunate to get to meet Mary. She invited me to a get together at VCOM.

Just wanted to say “Thanks, Mary, I had a great time.”

She’s a really great person for those of you who haven’t gotten to meet her yet.

I sew too, but mostly now just for my daughter. The best lately was a Schneewitchen (Snow White) dress for the local carnival, which got her onto the front page of the paper.
My weight has crept up again lately too so I appreciate these tips too for online buying. (related to another thread I just read about long corporate work hours - leaving no time for workouts! Medicine is not the only field with long hours)