Working through Pre-Med

I’m thinking about getting a job while I take my premed courses. I’d like to work doing something that will help me get into med school. I thought about working as an EMT and volunteering a few hours a week at a hospital.

Would experience as an EMT improve my med school application? Is there another job that would be better?

Thanks!

• RBinLouisville Said:
I'm thinking about getting a job while I take my premed courses. I'd like to work doing something that will help me get into med school. I thought about working as an EMT and volunteering a few hours a week at a hospital.

Would experience as an EMT improve my med school application? Is there another job that would be better?

Thanks!

Well, it depends. Do you need a well-paying job? If so, run far far away from anything in EMS (which includes EMT). If you don't need a well-paying job, then absolutely. Very relevant experience, counts as clinical experience, and when you're not on a call you can do whatever the hell you want...including sleep, video games, homework, etc.

Thanks for the reply Tim. Money isn’t as important as getting good experience to build up my application at this point. BUT, if there were something equally as good or better with better pay, I’d probably choose the better pay. Any ideas on better paying jobs that count as clinical experience?

Thanks again!

A FEW MORE IDEAS

I found these job openings at a local hospital. Would any of them be as good or better (from an application strengthening standpoint) than working as an EMT?

1. Phlebotomist (taking blood) - PRN (Laboratory)

2. Medical Assistant w/Lab

This position is responsible for performing assigned medical procedures including the administration of medications and laboratory procedures, under the direction of a physician. This position provides direct patient care to various populations including pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric.

3. Medical Assistant

This position is responsible for performing assigned medical procedures including the administration of medications, laboratory procedures, and/or limited x-ray under the direction of a physician.

4. Anesthesia Tech

The anesthesia technician assists the anesthesia resident, Certified Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) and staff nurses to maintain proper anesthesia supplies and equipment.

5. Clinical Assistant

The Clinical Assistant provides clinical patient care support in a caring, safe, and efficient manner, under the direction of an RN or LPN. The Clinical Assistant also performs other functions including phlebotomy, EKG lead placement, and respiratory functions.

6. OR Tech

The Operating Room Surgical Technician renders direct patient care under the supervision of the Registered Nurse during surgical intervention by anticipating and providing equipment, supplies, and instruments to the surgical team using principles of sterile technique for the care of the surgical patient.

7. EMT

Some of these might be a stretch to get, but I think I meet the requirements for each of them. Would you rank them in order of best to worst based on how well they’d strengthen my applicatioin?

Thanks again!!!
  • RBinLouisville Said:
A FEW MORE IDEAS

I found these job openings at a local hospital. Would any of them be as good or better (from an application strengthening standpoint) than working as an EMT?

1) Phlebotomist (taking blood) - PRN (Laboratory)

2) Medical Assistant w/Lab

This position is responsible for performing assigned medical procedures including the administration of medications and laboratory procedures, under the direction of a physician. This position provides direct patient care to various populations including pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric.

3) Medical Assistant

This position is responsible for performing assigned medical procedures including the administration of medications, laboratory procedures, and/or limited x-ray under the direction of a physician.

4) Anesthesia Tech

The anesthesia technician assists the anesthesia resident, Certified Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) and staff nurses to maintain proper anesthesia supplies and equipment.

5) Clinical Assistant

The Clinical Assistant provides clinical patient care support in a caring, safe, and efficient manner, under the direction of an RN or LPN. The Clinical Assistant also performs other functions including phlebotomy, EKG lead placement, and respiratory functions.

6) OR Tech

The Operating Room Surgical Technician renders direct patient care under the supervision of the Registered Nurse during surgical intervention by anticipating and providing equipment, supplies, and instruments to the surgical team using principles of sterile technique for the care of the surgical patient.

7) EMT

Some of these might be a stretch to get, but I think I meet the requirements for each of them. Would you rank them in order of best to worst based on how well they'd strengthen my applicatioin?

Thanks again!!!

The thing is that most (if not all!) of these will require some schooling as you will not get into them without a background (i.e. education) in these areas. Do you have health care experience already?

Kris

Hi Kris, thanks for the reply! The OR Tech and Anesthesia Tech both require a year of experience. I put them there thinking they sounded really good and I might be able to see if they’re willing to do some on the job training if they’re needing someone badly enough (which I know is doubtful). The other positions all require a high school diploma or GED, and experience is preferred but not required.

Thanks again!

Well, if you can get into them…I’d try. You’ll never know if you don’t apply. I think if you could get into a medical assistant position, I think that would be great. It’ll also give you some good insight on what your doctors are doing and if you decided to go for a DO which usually requires a DO LOR, it’ll be easier to get (if you work for a DO.

I would have to say that the phlebotomists that I see in the hospital ironically don’t have as much patient care as you’d think. The other thing would be the EMT in which you’ll go from times of sheer boredom to excitement PLUS you can move around. I currently work as a cardiac monitor tech and unit coordinator and unless someone relieves me I am pretty much tied to the desk. Thank God for Old Premeds!

Kris

Honestly, none of those positions will give you nearly as much autonomy as you will have on an ambulance. You’ll basically be taking orders. Yes, you’ll deal with patients, but you won’t be in the “field” taking a patient’s history, providing interventions, and calling the shots on the way to the hospital.

Considering the short amount of schooling, relative ease of getting a job (at least compared to some of those you listed), and the fact you’ll be a healthcare provider and not just a healthcare worker, I’d say EMT is your best bet.

• Tim Said:
Honestly, none of those positions will give you nearly as much autonomy as you will have on an ambulance. You'll basically be taking orders. Yes, you'll deal with patients, but you won't be in the "field" taking a patient's history, providing interventions, and calling the shots on the way to the hospital.

Considering the short amount of schooling, relative ease of getting a job (at least compared to some of those you listed), and the fact you'll be a healthcare provider and not just a healthcare worker, I'd say EMT is your best bet.

I concur!

I think that any of them will give you relevant clinical experience working with patients for your application. In terms of which one will look “better” on an app, I’m not really sure there is a good answer to that or that any one of them will look better than another. As long as you plan to WORK in one of the fields for at least a year, I say go for whichever one interests you most and/or has the best job prospects in your area. Becoming an EMT is pretty trendy among pre-meds right now, so other than gaining some great clinical experience, don’t expect it to give your application any more of a boost than any of the other positions you mentioned.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks everybody for the advice! I really appreciate it, this board is great!!!

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays