Worried about a relatively low GPA

Hi, I am terrified that I won’t get into medical schools with a 3.4 cumulative GPA and 3.1 science GPA. Will certain schools automatically filter me out with this GPA? I definitely went to a competitive undergrad institution and I have a minor as well that I feel will help me stand out. I will be taking the MCAT in the fall and feel confident I will be well prepared for it. If I do get a competitive score on the MCAT will this help improve my chances? Or is a low GPA going to be my downfall even if I have a good MCAT score and extracurriculars that stand out. What about getting a masters in bioethics or public health, would this improve my chances? Thanks so much.

Hey, avalekander!

I can’t say one way or another if a school will accept you. It seems there are so many factors contributing to acceptances. However, one thing that may help you navigate the process is the AAMC’s Applicants and Matriculants GPA and MCAT grid. Specifically, Table A-23, “MCAT and GPA Grid for Applicants and Acceptees to U.S. Medical Schools, 2017-2018 through 2018-2019 (aggregated).”

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/85992/bymcatscoresandgpas.html

Table A-23, for example, provides a good snapshot of acceptance rates by cross-referencing GPA and MCAT. So, for example, you can look at your GPA and see what MCAT scores improve your chances of acceptance. At a 3.40, your highest chance of acceptance is with a MCAT score 510 or better.

Hope that helps! Good luck going forward my friend!

Although you may be filtered out by certain schools, I think advocating for yourself can help. I think the MCAT will be a big factor in all of it as well.