Worst Case Scenarios

Just had a question about the pre-reqs. Say you don’t do so well on one of them and get a D or a C (let’s just take organic chem as the class). How bad does it look if you re-take it again the next semester or year? Obviously it’ll look bad, but I just wanted to know if anyone overcame this particular scenario and still got into a med school.

Cs in OChem, told not to repeat them by the pre-health advisor. Didn’t get in a US med school. Starting in January in the UK.
Kathy in Richardson, TX

If you mess up ONE, and you re-take it, and you knock it out of the park, you’ll probably be okay. Make sure the rest of your application (essay, clinical experience, volunteering, etc.) is as good as you can make it. And figure out what went wrong adn how you’ll fix it next time before you re-take the course.
Hi, and welcome!

I got a C+ in OChem and did not retake it - I also got accepted into three med schools. However, my gpa was still over 3.5. Make sure the rest of your application is also strong.

Quote:

Just had a question about the pre-reqs. Say you don’t do so well on one of them and get a D or a C (let’s just take organic chem as the class). How bad does it look if you re-take it again the next semester or year? Obviously it’ll look bad, but I just wanted to know if anyone overcame this particular scenario and still got into a med school.

If you get a C- or a D, you need to repeat it. And unless the ugrad school expunges the old grade with the new, both will show up on your transcript.
Repeating a class with a C grade is generally a waste of time. Just do better in the following sequence classes. And think about also taking an upper division class in the same area.
Cheers,
Judy

Thanks for the info Judy!

If you don’t mind me asking…what was your MCAT total? And, how many schools did you apply to?

In this marathon to Med school you may stagger a bit on the way. If you get a C then focus on doing better in the next classes. With a good over all GPA, a good Sci GPA, MCAT scores looking decent, volunteering, shadowing/experience all makes a complete package. The one class is just on part of many in preparing for Med school. Keep up the good work and focus on the next part.
Good Luck
Bill.