Would a double major really matter?

Ok, so today I finally found a degree program at my university that I like, will allow me to graduate in a reasonable amount of time given my schedule restrictions due to medic school, and most important will allow me to stay in medic school and still do well at Davis at the same time.

The catch is that I’m going to get a B.A. in Economics which is barely above the unit cap of 180 at 187.5 units with what I’ll have completed (187.5 includes finishing out the general bio series). At the end of next academic year, I will have the option of either walking or just not graduating to remain a “continuing student” for purposes of taking the pre-reqs. The interesting thing is that due to how under the max unit limit of 225 I am, I could probably do a double major in biology if I wanted to. I would probably slightly exceed the limit, but I could probably get a petition for that. I’m just wondering if there really is any advantage to that as far as applying goes?

I’m going to take ochem, physics and some biochem courses…probably microbiology w/lab too. In addition to that, for a BA in Biology, I would need to take about 12-20 units so about 3-5 classes in addition to what I’m going to take already. What do you guys think, is it worth it?

• Tim Said:
Ok, so today I finally found a degree program at my university that I like…

Grats! Glad you found something that will work for you

• Tim Said:
...I will have the option of either walking or just not graduating to remain a "continuing student" for purposes of taking the pre-reqs... I could probably do a double major in biology if I wanted to.

Tim, one of the attributes of getting a 2nd degree, for me, is that as a degree seeking candidate I can pay my tuition for pre-reqs over three installments vs. paying on first due date in full. BTW, I'm paying out of pocket - no loans, or grants; I do not qualify.

Given the Powerball got pulled again, and I didn't bother to buy a ticket and therefore, didn't win either, I need to manage how I pay the tuition bills as well as manage the course load. Not sure if that will make a difference in your life but the paying over three installments helps me tremendously and as such, I'm getting 2nd degree.

It might be worth investigating to find out how loans, grants, work related payments, etc and your tuition for pre-reqs will be affected if you are no longer degree seeking because you already have your BA in economics.

I would think that, regardless of how medical schools look at your double major, the extra focus on biology would help to prepare you. You can complete all the science requirements for medical school in two years, potentially leaving you two years taking no science before applying. On the other hand, majoring in bio guarantees you will take more science and that you will have access to higher level biology courses.

There is nothing like learning science day in and day out to prepare you for learning science day in and day out.

Of course, your ability to complete the double in the amount of time you have available and with a high GPA matters as well.