Yet another newbie!

Hey folks!

So, some background is in order. I’ve recently gotten out of an engagement from a long relationship and have decided that it is time to make a real legitimate push toward being a doctor like I know I was meant to be. It is my plan to go back to my alma mater and talk to the counselors about what courses are needed. It is my intention to take 1-2 classes at a time to get the recommended knowledge to take the MCAT. I already hold a BA in political science and have been working for the government for almost 4 years now. I know that that does work to my advantage somewhat when it comes time to applying to medical schools, but that doesn’t stop this from seeming just a bit daunting.

Are there any resources or does anyone have any advice on what I should be focusing on class-wise to prepare for the MCAT? I’m almost 28 and would LIKE to make my start with the class entering in 2015, if not earlier.

Thanks in advance for any advice. It would mean a lot!

Welcome!

The best place to start is with the general pre-reqs. The basic ones are:

Physics (1 year)

General Chemistry (1 year)

Organic Chemistry (1 year)

Biology (1 year)

English (D.O. schools require. Most M.D. schools recommend)

Those will prepare you for the MCAT and are obviously required for admission to medical school.

Also, take General Chemistry first or with your first courses, as it is a prerequisite for Organic Chemistry.

You may also want to take intro to Psychology, and perhaps intro to sociology.

Kate

• Kate429 Said:

You may also want to take intro to Psychology, and perhaps intro to sociology.

Kate

Curious as to your suggestion here. Why these courses?

-

I was thinking about the changes to the MCAT. Didn’t realize that it doesn’t start till 2015.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mca t/mcat20…

So, Timmah, if you take the MCAT by 2014 for admission to class of 2015, you will not be tested on the biological, psychological, and sociological aspects of behavior, and won’t need those courses.

Kate

• Kate429 Said:
-

I was thinking about the changes to the MCAT. Didn't realize that it doesn't start till 2015.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mca t/mcat20...

So, Timmah, if you take the MCAT by 2014 for admission to class of 2015, you will not be tested on the biological, psychological, and sociological aspects of behavior, and won't need those courses.

Kate

Very true, the new MCAT format will add some classes to people schedules! I for one am excited to see what it will do for applicants.

Thanks, everyone!

It is pretty daunting to think of having to go back to school, but to know that you guys are here makes that seem so much easier!

If I think of anything else, I’ll definitely ask.