1st interview help needed-please!

Dear Friends,

It has been some time since I submitted a post. I finished the MCAT and did well. I have my first interview this week at a highly regarded state school and then next week at Vanderbilt. As you know, I am an attorney. My worry is that every time I answer the why medicine question I end up giving a lengthy narrative of the events that led to my decision. To me-the causation approach seems natural. I have been told by others that it is too drawn out and boring. Any suggestions–I really need a little advice.

first, Calm down. Don’t get nervous.

If you have time, see if you can set up a mock interview and video tape it. Then watch it and jot down some notes. See where you can improve you posture and your answers. Take this time to think about your answer. As an attourney you have prepared for opening and closing statements correct? Well, this is your chance to prove to the jury your case.

However, do it with brevity and enthusiasm. Think about WHY you want to leave the law for medicine, what is it about medicine that draws you in. Write it down, see if it works. Sell yourself, not your change.

Good luck. I am sure you will do fine.

Gabe

What Gabe said.

Also, consider having a long answer and a short answer. In other words, have an elevator speech and a longer autobiography.

I was able to distill my ambitions down to a simple phrase or two that more or less captures my career goals–I decided to do something more worthwhile with my life and health care is the most fulfilling career I can think of. I can also talk at longer length about my evolution from software engineer to physician.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your interview–and don’t forget to enjoy yourself–you’re among the privileged few now!