2008 Rejections

sorry hear about that Adam. Just remember though - you only need one yes! I am sure you will get it (and probably a few more too).

Does anyone think that it is a bad idea to contact (email or call?) some of the Texas schools that I have not heard a peep from and tell them that they are my first choice and I will come for an interview on a moment’s notice. Texas is my home and I am really rooted here and the thought of moving away makes me sad and the cost goes way up for OOS and DO schools (except TCOM) but I WILL go where I get in because that is how much I want this. Any advice on how to approach this? Their interview cycle ends mid December so I think I would have heard something, anything by now if I was going to get an interview. What would happen if I just showed up on their door step and said, I was in the area do you have a moment to discuss my application? I know that I will end up where I am supposed to be and I will love being a med student anywhere but I want to be as proactive as I can this time around! I so appreciate the advice, this forum really helps through the ups and downs of this process!

I have been told that it is okay to contact (calling or emailing is fine) some medical schools to find out the status of your application. I think it would be sincere if you did e-mail them and tell them how much you value their school and that it is your first choice but at the same time some might see that as desperation. Its probably okay to contact them to find out your status and tell them you are still very interested in the school but I don’t think it would be wise to go into detail about how much you love the school. If you did that in person though - that might be different (depending on the school of course). They might not mark it down in your file that you made a visit but I bet you the admission officers and their staff will be more likely to give you a more honest and open answer than if you did it in e-mail or on the telephone.

Thats my two cents - I think Mary or Richard probably will probably have a better insight on this matter.

You should absolutely be contacting schools you haven’t heard from. I don’t think showing up unannounced is a very good idea simply because these offices are busy and you wouldn’t be likely to get a good amount of attention.

You can combine a “status check” phone call with an “expressing interest” phone call by saying something like, "I’m calling to check on the status of my application. I haven’t heard yet, and I am so hoping to get an interview at your school because… " (as long as the part after “because” is REALLY SHORT).

We invest a lot of ourselves and our emotions into this process but remember, IT IS NOT PERSONAL. You don’t need to fret that they are going to blackball you for being a dork on the phone. The AdCom staffers know how intense this gets and they generally want to be helpful.

You paid money to have your application evaluated. You haven’t heard what the result of that evaluation was. You have a right to know. Don’t be afraid of calling and “pestering” them, this is simple business and you are making a simple inquiry.

Mary

I call all the time to check on schools. I’ve never been treated poorly and I’m very gracious to the person on the phone.

Thanks to all for your advice! I will contact them for a status. I have some contacts at some of the schools but I wonder if they frown upon getting referrals from professionals, etc. I certainly don’t want it to hurt me. I feel like if I could get some face time with ANY of the Texas schools I would have a real shot. But again, I am happy to have even gotten this far! Wow what a trek!

case western rejection yesterday. that’s OK. I’m from Cincinnati originally- it’s ingrained in me that Cleveland sucks.

Medical College of Wisconsin turned me down. I only need one acceptance letter but I want many!

Brown University turned me down. The last two rejections have been from me. Awesome.

Obesedude!

I got 9 rejections last year…probably 5 of them were before I got on any of the 3 wait-lists. I’ll repeat after OldManDave again: ‘All you need is one ‘yes’’. So don’t give up!

And the fact that last two rejections were posted by you, doesn’t mean that other people didn’t receive any!

Be patient!

Kasia

I think my rejections will just come later, since I applied later . You’ll find the right match for ya, dude.

OMG If I listed every rejection that i’ve had so far I’d take up 2 pages. I threw my net wide and expected a fair number of rejections, and got them. But I really clicked with CCOM and that’s all it took!

I still have one loose end to tie up with SIU and in a way, I’m kind of glad it worked out this way. My choices have been relatively easy and they’ve been my top ones. It’s like it was meant to be - so don’t give up hope, just have faith!

If you count last year, I have had 13 rejections and they are still coming - 1 school never even bothered to reject me, I just never heard anything from them. This year I applied to 27 schools so it could be upwards of 30 rejections when it is all over but that will make deciding where to go much easier if there are only a couple of choices and there will be - I am predicting and hoping for all of us!

My interviewer at NSU-COM even mentioned my rejections - now that could be embarrassing but I just plowed on through like it didn’t bother me. I think they like to see how you react under pressure and to different interview prompts.

• snowgirl Said:

My interviewer at NSU-COM even mentioned my rejections - now that could be embarrassing but I just plowed on through like it didn't bother me. I think they like to see how you react under pressure and to different interview prompts.

Are these rejections from last year, or this year? I thought this year they wouldn't even know of this information or where you were accepted to until May.

Kris

These rejections are from last year, or at least, I assume so. I was surprised they would even mention that. They were probably trying to get to the bottom of why I applied to more schools this year, including their school. I think they wanted to understand my interest in osteopathic medicine as well since I applied to both types of schools.

I just called KCOM about my interview last week. They turned me down. I really liked the school but now I am waiting to hear from DMU and Western. Good Luck to everyone!

cragmire - sorry to hear about that. I wish you the best of luck w/ DMU and Western.

Cragmire,

You’re still in a game. That’s only one school. You still haven’t heard from two. Are you expecting any more interviews?

The University of Rochester is sorry to inform me that they are unable to offer me a place in the first year class beginning in August, 2008. Ah well.

Booo! Hang in there, kiddo!