2nd Bachelor Degree questions

Will it okay if I pursue a 2nd bachelor degree in a non science major just take the premed reqs? My first degree, my GPA was 2.95. I really don’t want to major in Biology if I don’t have to. I totally have no problem starting over on a 2nd bachelor degree

Grab a 2nd degree in something that interests you. Most traditional college students pick a major based on job prospects and earning power (I did the first time around) and they end up just going through the motions.

Non science majors add to the diversity of any incoming class but keep in mind that if you really dislike biology then medicine might not be the answer.

Oh no, I have no aversions to biology, I just don’t want to major in it. I actually enjoy science courses, but I think in order for me to get a higher GPA, I think I should major in something that will give me more transfer credits to apply. Also, will I have to start from scratch or will they look down on transfer credits on a second bachelor

• nsarvis Said:
Oh no, I have no aversions to biology, I just don’t want to major in it. I actually enjoy science courses, but I think in order for me to get a higher GPA, I think I should major in something that will give me more transfer credits to apply. Also, will I have to start from scratch or will they look down on transfer credits on a second bachelor

What transfer credits are you talking about?

Do you have a 1st degree? If so, NONE of those credits apply to 2nd degree GPA calculations which does not matter anyway for purposes of med school.

What transfer credits are you talking about? CC vs. Uni? Credits used in 1st degree?

Med school applications amalgamate ALL credits from ALL schools they do not bifurcate between old degree, new degree, etc. I'm positive someone on here will know how the credits are grouped so that the new stuff is seen differently than old. Also, I've seen it quite often on here that the personal statement can help push the adcoms into reviewing things that are newer in more significant light. I cannot, as I've not done that portion yet

Last, you may NOT need to get a 2nd bachelor's degree. I am but for MY purposes, NOT specifically for med school purposes.

so it is probably best for me to just start from scratch on a whole new bachelors. My freshman and sophomore years I screwed up pretty bad. Another question, would it be better to do a post bacc or another bachelor. I am confused on this option.

You know what Hugz, I am going to do that. I got my first degree in business management, and I truly felt like I was going through the motions the whole time. It’s a good fall back degree I guess, but I wasn’t totally passionate about it. I think if I major in something that is more befitting, I will do better this time around.

nsarvis,

To me, your first step is talking to the med school near you. Ask them these questions.

What each of us individually is doing, is just that - individual path based on our own specific needs/wants.

We are a forum of like minded individuals who have completed, are completing, are starting, or are thinking about this path. We can tell you what we have done and are doing, but not what you should do. Likewise, you should not be taking what we say on here as gospel. Take what we say as suggestions.

I read on here a few weeks back that part of the med school process is what the individual puts into it. There are no short cuts (trust me, I tried that route 20 years ago). There is no “easy” way into med school - yep, I tried that too.

Talk to the med school.

THEN figure out a path and like Richard says, “WRITE IT DOWN” and then, start.

I understand where you are coming from. I don’t know what med school I want to go to as of yet. haven’t gotten that far… I am just trying to figure out the best path to take as far as undergrad right now. That is my focus.

Is there one nearby where you could talk to them anyway? Get their perspective? or have you tried to go online to any of the med school sites and researched them?

Generally, I found the med school sites were solidly filled with info.

NSARVIS,

From the sound of your post it sounds like you are just sitting down to consider a plan.

I further perceive that because you have not had a case of “I gotta finish NOW syndrome”, or perhaps it has not become symptomatic yet.

That is you did not go to the local community college enrollment last month and enrolled “quickly” but willy nilly in 20 hours worth of “science courses”

If this is the case I need to issue you a personal copy of my masterpiece; so rare to get a copy to someone not already in a coma from the above malady!

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

Welcome and good luck

Richard