2nd time around....

Well, Im sorry to say that I have to take the MCAT again. I just signed up for Aug 21. I was shooting for the afternoon, but it was not available.

This time around I am putting more time into studying and I am going to make sure I get a good night’s rest. The first exam I only had 3hrs of sleep then I had to drive 2hrs to the exam. So, perhaps I was not thinking clearly. Yeah, that’s it.

Well, I only pray I get the targeted score of 30. That would be a huge improvement.

Wish me well.

Wishing you the best!!!

Good luck! Have you addressed whatever kept you from doing as well as you could have the first time? As you mentioned, sleep, study, and preparation (even preparing the drive) are key, so it sounds like you’re well on your way.

Adam,

Thanks for you support…However, I was going to address this in my essays, but I was strongly advised from the dean of admissions not to bring it up. He told me several times, do not point to it. My job is to put together an application that states in spite of my MCAT score, I am still a strong applicant. Only address my strengths.

My mentor who is a faculty member at the med school and she trains residents and med students on medical rounds, said the same thing. She reviewed all my essays and said do not bring it up. She stated I have a very strong application in spite of scores, so, be confident in that and focus on my strengths…

So, that’s what I did…

I agree, don’t point to low MCAT scores. I don’t think Adam was advocating that, but rather was advising you (and anyone approaching the MCAT for the second time) to really take a self-critical look at your study techniques, your knowledge base, your emotional makeup, your preparation overall - really look at your whole strategy for your first MCAT and figure out what did not work as well as it should’ve. And once you’ve figured it out, you address it by making the necessary changes in your second-time-around MCAT prep.

But no, it should not be addressed in the personal statement. The numbers are already in your application and there is no need to say anything else.

Mary

As a person who has taken the MCAT many, many times, I’d advise you to think long and hard about whether or not you’re really ready to retake the exam. The stats against raising your score by any significant amount are daunting so through prep is essential.

Good luck with whatever you decide.