3.2 gpa and a 40 MCAT...would I be competitive?

Hi everyone,

I hate to bug anyone with the old " what are my chances thread," but I am dying to know what you folks think regarding my gpa and MCAT.

My undergraduate gpa came out at 3.2 and my MCAT score is 40. I am interested in mid-to lower ranked programs if they will help my chances. Does anyone think that these numbers make me a competitive candidate?

Thank you!

Hi fuzzylogician,

I would say that those numbers give you a good footing where to build up a very strong application for medical school, given your goals as stated in your description.

Now, whether or not you will become a strong candidate depends on many other things, for instance, your past experiences as summarized in a statement of purpose, that will include your goals and the reasons you want to become a physician. Your LORs, volunteering experiences, shadowing, etc.

I have learned a thing from my short time reading posts at this forum: GPA and MCAT scores are important factors BUT not the only factors adcoms take into account for admitting any individual into med school. Fitness of purpose, demonstrated and documented, aligned with their major vision and mission, will be at times the most important factor they are looking for. Academics is just another aggregate to the equation.

Hi Fuzzy

I don’t know about your background. But the MCAT makes you extremely competitive. This is my opinion.

If there are cirumstances in your past that explain why your GPA is not excellent, I would insist on those in a personal statement (Not too much, just enough to point them out).

40s on the MCAT are quite rare. From that point of view, I believe that you will have very good chances at various schools, provided that they do not apply automatic cut-offs on GPA.

Good luck

Thank you both for your insightful responses. I apologize my response is coming so late. My fiance has been recuperating from a hospital stay for gallbladder surgery (and a few complications), so things have been kind of hectic.

Can you share how you prepared for the MCAT? Did you use a prep course or did you self study?

• fuzzylogician Said:
Hi everyone,

I hate to bug anyone with the old " what are my chances thread," but I am dying to know what you folks think regarding my gpa and MCAT.

My undergraduate gpa came out at 3.2 and my MCAT score is 40. I am interested in mid-to lower ranked programs if they will help my chances. Does anyone think that these numbers make me a competitive candidate?

Thank you!

Here are your chances:

If you don't apply, your chances are nada, zilch, nothing, zero.

If you do apply, have worked hard in a post-bacc, show off your great MCAT score, write a great application with a concise, coherent, and compelling narrative, blow away an interview, you might (i said might) get accepted.

Most important would how your GPA breaks down via original undergrad vs post bacc and science (BCPM) and all other. If you have a curve improvement up, with decent science GPA, especially in post bacc, that would make you competitive

Second what Rich (gonnif) said. As we are fond of saying around here, numbers don’t tell the full story. You have to take the opportunity to tell your story, in your transcripts, personal statement, and eventually at interviews. That said, your numbers - even given their lack of context - seem to reflect well on your ability to learn and synthesize the type of information that med schools are looking for. You’ll need to support that with positive trends in your grades, a compelling reason for pursuing medicine, and all that, but you seem to be in a pretty good position.

Numbers get you in the door. Experiences get you into the interview process.

Cheers,

Judy

• jcolwell Said:

Cheers,

Judy

In my experience, the opposite is true. Numbers get you into the interview process, experiences get you in the door.
  • jcolwell Said:

Cheers,

Judy

• TicDocDoh Said:
In my experience, the opposite is true. Numbers get you into the interview process, experiences get you in the door.

Perhaps it depends on the school or program: some look at numbers (GPA & MCAT), then at experience; others at experience, then at numbers.