3...more...to....go (an update)

Starting this semester with only 3 more required pre-reqs left…Physics II and Orgo I and II. Just the fact that I am now enrolled in Orgo I feels like a mini-goal accomplished (i.e. a year of Gen Chem in the books :-)) So far my numbers are looking good, cum GPA of 3.4 (finally pulling up from some youthful academic indiscretions 20 years ago), BCPM gpa of 3.74.

I also turned 40 this summer so now I am a true OPM, hahaha.

This past spring semester almost derailed it all. My wife’s income is the only $ coming in since we decided I would go to school full-time since losing my job. It’s tough, but manageable. We got behind the proverbial 8 ball in April and ended up having our water, internet/cable tv, and electricity turned off within 2 weeks. Luckily, we had some hotels points we cashed in for a night until we could get the electricity back on, and I remember dropboxing a paper for another class using the wi-fi at a nearby gas station. It was incredibly difficult to stay focused on studying when everything seemed to be going to pot (think Maslow’s hierarchy). Eventually, things righted themselves, tax refund came back, and now I’m staring down the last 3.

I won’t deny that I’ve often wonder if it’s worth it and think I should give it up and get a FT job, but then I think that…all of this struggle would be for naught and living with myself after giving up on this, my 4th time of thinking about medical school since I was 21, would be about unbearable.

So now, I am looking a little closer at MCAT prep and volunteering since things are getting closer. I’m finding even that process to be somewhat thrilling since it is a reminder of how far I’ve come (started Jan 2011).

Even though I have had my share of FUD, like all of us, I have tried to replace it with my own version…

FAITH…I have learned that there is no way that this journey can be completed under my own power. Having faith that if God brings you to it, He’ll bring you through it, keeps me going. He has made a way everytime for me so far.

UNION…My wife has been an incredible pillar of support and has slapped me back to reality during those times I’ve wanted to give up (figuratively of course). If she wasn’t on board with this, there would be no way I’d have gotten this far, point blank.

DETERMINATION…we’ve heard it before, this is a marathon, not a sprint, and I know better than anyone that it can be easy to lose motivation. I had a professor tell me once, just mark that class off your list and go to the next and before you know it, you’re done. One thing that helps me is to think that I am passing through the same gateways that every physician (including the great ones) has passed through and the feeling of it being a “rite of passage” to take Orgo, or to take the MCAT, for example, gives me some inspiration to keep going.

My apologies for the length of this post. I don’t post often, so when I do, I try to make up for that, hahaha…

Way to go!! You’re coming into the homestretch.

AWE. SOME. !!!

There are people who DO this!

You…

ARE…

…ONE OF THEM!

Stay the course and PRESS ON!

That’s superb! I am two courses shy of completing the pre-reqs, Org II (in which I am currently enrolled) and Phys II next semester. I desired to take Biochem I, even though it’s only a recommended course at most universities. I haven’t completed ruled out the option, but more than anything I want to walk away with an A in the rest of all my pre-reqs (I got a B in Micro and Gen Chem I).

But your story is very moving and compelling. What is so phenomenal about this group of individuals is our very unique stories. It really helps to enrich this journey. Keep on moving ahead and keep us posted!

Great update - and love the new FUD definition!

Thanks guys!

oxfordj–You are so right and i never thought of it quite the way you phrased it. Typical traditional applicants must surely look like a dime a dozen to ad coms (graduated with a biology degree at 22, gpa and MCATS all about the same). NOT to disparage our younger brethren (Lord knows I envy their maturity and dedication which I did not have at that age), BUT, almost every non-trad has a unique background and story that they bring to the table. A story rich with depth and life experience…something that cannot be taught in a classroom.

Doc Grey…I want to take the opportunity to thank you for what you have done and are doing with your podcasts, and especially with a focus on non-trads. I’ve been following your posts on your FB page and and glad to see you on this forum as well.