32 Needing Advice

Here’s my story:

BS Biology (3.0/3.0)

MCAT 1998 9/9/10/N Not accepted to Med School

Then I started a construction business and didn’t think about applying the next year and simply worked on my business. We closed the business after 5 yrs and having our son…then as many parents can attest I had a serious change in my life…tried to cut off my TV addiction (I still love the Chiefs on Sunday)…and committed to learning/reading anything I could get my hands on in my related field (basically just the opposite of how I spent my college career-trying to do just enough to get by). I am now in commercial finance and wondering if my spiritual gifts of Generosity, Leadership, and Teaching/Pastoring would better serve me in a different career (maybe medicine?). When I took the MCAT before, I didn’t study at all, reasoning that if 4 years of school didn’t prepare me then nothing would (and like I said, I was a slacker). Should I retake some of my science classes and improve my GPA while also doubling as a refresher for the MCAT or should I just get some study materials for the MCAT and focus on retaking that (as my scores are too old to submit)? Should I do both?

Curious in KC

Thanks!!

Both. Medical schools will be looking for both a great MCAT score and recent coursework to prove your academic acumen.

Are courses from community colleges OK? Or do they prefer a 4 year University?

There seem to be a lot of old pre-meds in the KC area. We could have our own chapter! You can search posts regarding cc vs 4-yr. I took some courses at JCCC (they’ve been excellent) and am beginning a post-bacc at Avila. I don’t know where you want to go for med school, but KU is fine w/ cc courses. It depends on the school, and sometimes I think you have to talk to the admissions person to find out.

Good luck.

Overthemoon,

What was your undergrad in? I was trying to figure out how many classes I would need to take in order for the admissions people to consider my application. I guess I should start making some phone calls. Send me an e-mail, I would enjoy talking to you about your journey.

Thanks

childsjohn@hotmail.com

I would suggest the following…IF you cannot afford or it is not feasible (work wise/family wise/etc) to take the classes at a 4 year university then go the CC route…if OTOH you can go to a 4 year college then go that route.

Adcoms in some schools may “prefer” seeing courses from a 4 year school because it is perceived (right or wrong but this is a fact) that the courses and competition are higher and hence earning a good grade is more difficult.

I would also suggest calling ALL the schools you are thinking of applying to and ask them as well. Now, to be honest YOU are competing with thousands of pre-meds that have taken for the most part most of their courses at a 4 yr school, so the question is, what will make YOU stand out in the eyes of those adcom members?

I have returned! I have many more questions but I will post 2:

Since I already have a degree in Biology (even if it is 10 yrs old) could taking the Kaplan Review classes be sufficiant for MCAT? (I know all that information is still in there somewhere!)

What is the minimum # of classes in order to prove my “academic acumen” and to get LOR’s?

(I am going to meet with an Admission Counselor at KCUMB Friday)

• Johnc Said:
Since I already have a degree in Biology (even if it is 10 yrs old) could taking the Kaplan Review classes be sufficiant for MCAT? (I know all that information is still in there somewhere!)

In my mind - NO. Believe it or not, the field of biology, even general/entry-level bio, is very dynamic & substantively different. And, those review courses are NOT about teaching you the material. They are far more about refreshing info only a couple of years old & teaching test-taking strategy - both excellent & beneficial. But, if your coursework is that old, I would suggest retaking stuff or taking more advanced coursework.

• Johnc Said:
What is the minimum # of classes in order to prove my "academic acumen" and to get LOR's? (I am going to meet with an Admission Counselor at KCUMB Friday)

Impossible to answer & I suspect it will vary from program to program & in the context of your other credentials...and any skeletons in your academic closet.

I just created this. Anything jump out at anyone as a skeleton? Or just the musings of a (now reformed) slacker!!

Elem Spanish I B

American History B+

Elem Spanish II A

Freshman Eng I B+

American History B

Intro Bio w/ Lab B

Gen Chem w/ Lab B

Freshman Week Pass

Elementary Functions B

Bio II w/ Lab B

Gen Chem II w/ Lab B

Health and Wellness A

Calc I C

Funds of Speech B

General Psych B

Basic Stats B

Survey of Computing C

College Physics I w/ Lab A

Weightlifting A

Intro Sociology B

College Physics II w/ Lab A

Freshman Bio Sem A

Cell Bio w/ Lab B

Basic Approach to Arts A

World Lit III B

World Lit I B

American Inst Hist B

Arts and Human Exp B

Micro w/ Lab B

Physiology w/ Lab C

Organic Chem I B

Ecology w/ Lab B

Organic Chem II C

Organic Chem I Lab C

Genetics w/ Lab B

Histology C

Comparative Anatomy B

English Comp II A

Organic II Lab B

Endocrinology B

Herpetology B

Senior Seminar A

Could I just retake some of the C courses? I got A’s in Physics, but do I need to take classes in that area to strengthen my MCAT. . . I am thinking YES.