38 and Done Settling

I’m 38 a wife and mother of 6. I earned my MBA with a 4.0 GPA last year in 2019 after yet again researching my med school options than settling for an MBA.

I recently changed careers and now work for the US Air Force, only to realize I’m unfulfilled and will not be fulfilled until I achieve my life-long dream of being a physician.

My overall GPA is 3.93 over 193 credits spread across undergrad and two MBA programs. But I have no prerequisite science credits.

I have more than $100,000 in student loan debt but am willing to increase my debt and pay out of pocket. I’ve found some affordable medical schools and premed school programs in and around my home state, Louisiana. Unfortunately, me and my family of 10 live on the Central Coast of California now and I have found no affordable options to meet my prerequisite requirements while continuing to work.

How do I make this dream a reality without spending more money than necessary while continuing to work until I get a medical school acceptance?

1 Like

This will go against some of the advice to just jump in. You could find a school locally and test the waters by committing to 2 courses, say chem 1 and chem 2. Get awesome grades then move. CA is so expensive. The high cost of living alone will stress you out. Find somewhere cheaper, Louisiana is perfect then commit full time 100%. Don’t work, don’t try to balance your life, commit to this and you will make it. 38 is young. You got this.

1 Like