38yrs, BS in Bio 5 yrs ago and MCAT

Hello all,

I completed my B.S. in Biology 5 years ago and did well. I have began my self-study MCAT prep. I planned to “audit” coursework to refamilize myself with a couple of subjects. Should I also take an MCAT prep course (expensive, but doable)? Some subjects I remember well (chemistry and biochem), and other things I do not (like orgo, and physics). What do you suggest? I need to do well on the MCAT and I am applying fall 2009 for a fall 2010 start date. Any advise would be helpful.

medstudent03

I think because it has been a while, taking a MCAT prep might be a good idea. Since you are a little dusty on some of these courses, it might help you better organize your study time.

How do your other stats look? What have you done for the five years since graduating? I think the adcoms will be interested in this as well.

Kris

Thanks for the response. I have been serving as an ordained clergy person on a ministerial staff of a congregation while concurrently working for a medical school. I have over 15 years of healthcare experience on the administrative, billing and even chaplaincy sides.

I had a 3.3/4.0 gpa in Biology; before then a Master’s Degree in Divinity, gpa 3.6. I have another undergrad degree from Northwestern about 16 years ago; gpa only around a 2.6…not bad considering I was raising a younger sibling and supporting family in another state. However even 16 years later, it does bring down my overall AMCAS undergra gpa.

medstudent03

in terms of time and organization, you would likely be better off taking an MCAT prep class as the primary supplemented with retaking (not simply auditing) general bio as that has changed quite a bit since the nearly 10 years when you took the course. Organic Chem has reduced importance on the MCAT and likely self review and the MCAT would suffice on that. I would further speculate that at least a couple of advanced bio courses may help to show your ability to handle the science in med school. The question I always ask people is you goal to get into medical school or get into medical school quickly?

A lot depends on your self-discipline and study skills and how quickly things come back to you. I would take the free MCAT practice test and see how you feel about it, then perhaps flip through some review books to see if you think they’ll cut it for you. I did self-study with the ExamKrackers books and was quite pleased with the outcome, but I had just finished the pre-reqs.

I think taking the practice test and thinking about your own weak and strong points and your own learning style will tell you best whether you can use prep books or need a review course.

If it’s financially feasible for you, and you know you’ll have the time to be able to attend classes and study for several hours outside of class each night, I would recommend the prep class. Even if you are active in the sciences, the MCAT is a whole different beast, and the prep classes specifically teach exactly what you need to know and how you need to apply it for the exam. I took my reqs 10 years ago, so being able to speak with tutors on a daily basis was helpful for relearning material I hadn’t seen since UG (like Orgo), as well as thinking about the sciences I do use on a daily basis in an “MCAT way”. YMMV, but I personally felt the investment was worth it because it kept me focused in a sea of knowledge…

Let me introduce myself. I took the MCAT, got a 26 and was accepted to all the medical schools to which I’ve applied. I have since written 2 books: Facts Formulas and More (Med-Facs) and Mudpiles Quick Reference (http://www.mudpiles.com/reference.html); and now a successful Radiologist.

So what your MCAT score is below 30—the trick is knowing where and when to apply to some of these programs. There are several problems with re-taking the MCATs. Email me for details and my secret weapon: mudpiles@yahoo.com .

Dr Walker

• mudpiles Said:

Let me introduce myself. I took the MCAT, got a 26 and was accepted to all the medical schools to which I've applied. I have since written 2 books: Facts Formulas and More (Med-Facs) and Mudpiles Quick Reference (http://www.mudpiles.com/reference.html); and now a successful Radiologist.

So what your MCAT score is below 30—the trick is knowing where and when to apply to some of these programs. There are several problems with re-taking the MCATs. Email me for details and my secret weapon: mudpiles@yahoo.com .

Dr Walker

"Dr. Walker", if that is indeed your name,

Please check with the webmaster(s) if solicitation is allowed in these online forums before posting under different threads.

Your website only markets your clinical reference book and a smoking cessation product.

Thank you.