39 and looking at med-school

Greetings and salutations! I am exploring medical school possibilities, and I will be 40 in October.

I got my BS in microbiology in 1996, with minors in anthropology and molecular biology.

I became an ASCP certified Cytotechnologist in 1998, and worked as a Cytotechnologist until 2005.

I got my ASCP certification as a Technologist in Microbiology in 2007, while working as a Research Scientist in a Biosafety Level 3 laboratory (I work with Class A Select Agents).

I was planning on getting another certification (Molecular Pathology) this year, but it occurred to me that perhaps I was “barking up the wrong tree.” After all, what is the point of collecting a bunch of professional certifications?

If I were to pursue a medical degree, my specialty would be Pathology. I think it is safe to say that this is where my interest lies.

So, as I understand it, I would be looking at 4 years of medical school, 2-4 years of residency, and an additional 2-4 years for specialization.

I was thinking I should take the MCAT to find my weaknesses… I work at a university, so I can brush up those weak spots for $5.00 per credit, and then retake the MCAT “for reals.”

Here is where my questions start…

Should I pursue D.O., or M.D.? Does it matter to a pathologist?

Where do I find schools that are more inclined to accept older candidates?

Is the military a viable option for medical school training non-traditionally? You can be a new recruit up to age 42, now.

What other questions should I be asking, at this point?

My wife is super-supportive… in fact, she has been wondering why I didn’t go to med-school years ago.

Advice and recommendations are always welcome, and thanks very much!

Darnguy,

Make sure you don’t just take an MCAT exam for the sake of figuring out what your score is going to be. You can figure out where your weaknesses are by taking diagnostic and practice exams. When you are ready, then take the real thing. There’s no sense in taking the test twice if you don’t have to.

Both D.O. and M.D. degrees allow you to practice as a pathologist. There is an on going intergallactic debate about which degree is better and this debate will be here long after you and I leave this planet. I’d suggest you shadow both D.O. and M.D. pathologists to get better information.

I’m not a good resource for the military or age questions. People here probably still think I’m a baby at the tender age of 28.

• Darnguy Said:

If I were to pursue a medical degree, my specialty would be Pathology. I think it is safe to say that this is where my interest lies.

So, as I understand it, I would be looking at 4 years of medical school, 2-4 years of residency, and an additional 2-4 years for specialization.

I was thinking I should take the MCAT to find my weaknesses... I work at a university, so I can brush up those weak spots for $5.00 per credit, and then retake the MCAT "for reals."

Here is where my questions start...

Should I pursue D.O., or M.D.? Does it matter to a pathologist?

Where do I find schools that are more inclined to accept older candidates?

Is the military a viable option for medical school training non-traditionally? You can be a new recruit up to age 42, now.

What other questions should I be asking, at this point?

Darnguy, welcome to OPM! I'm glad you brought up the D.O v/s M.D point. My intended specialty is also pathology and just a few days ago I began wondering what possibilities there were for the hopeful pathologists out there in the D.O world. From the research I have done, it became clear that the D.O path (no pun intended hawhaw...) basically consists of family medicine-type work rather than anything along the lines of what would relate to us future pathologists.

I'm not sure I would be much help in regard to your other concerns though... I am interested to know anyone else's take on the D.O vs M.D pathology mystery!!!

Howdy my fellow future Pathologists! Glad to know I’m not the only one interested in this wonderful field!

While there are few DO Pathologists, they are definitely out there as I learned when I attended an USCAP meeting a few years ago. So I’d say “pursue” which ever path MD or DO, accepts you! You can shadow both an DO and MD pathologist,but I can assure you that the differences you may see have nothing to do with which path the person pursued.

In regards to military training I work on a military base around military docs, so I’d be glad to answer any questions you have if you PM me. I’m just too tird of typing to include that info right now.

As for that additional certification in Molecular Path, I’m going for it too after I complete my certs in HT and IHC. Molec path is a HOT field and since it may be a while before you matriculate in med school, why not enjoy your professional life and additional compensation until that time?

I’ve been having a heck of a time finding a MD pathologist to shadow, least of all a DO. I would like to get a taste of both, if possible. That would be perfect. But… in a perfect world, i’d have a 4.0.

I just reread the mcat part too. i agree with Hugz, there are plenty of practice tests out there than can give you a great idea of where you stand on the charts. Correct me If im wrong, but I believe that the AdComs see EVERY score? Take the real thing when you are confident and ready.

• putnam2800 Said:
:( I've been having a heck of a time finding a MD pathologist to shadow, least of all a DO. I would like to get a taste of both, if possible. That would be perfect. But... in a perfect world, i'd have a 4.0.

The ideal situation for Pathologist shadowing would be at your local medical school, but even that may be limited. For example at the school where I attend sign-out/shadow Pathologists so to speak, medical students get first dibs. Luckily not many are interested in Pathology, so it worked out for me. I imagine shadowing a community Pathologist would be harder because that really isn't a "learning" environment.

My "foot in the door situation" occurred when cold called the Pathologist who teaches the second year med students about I attending Pathology conference. I got to know a few people, residents, attending, ect and eventually asked if I could attend sign-out. And the rest as they say is history.

Okay… spoke with an old D.O. pathologist acquaintance of mine. Dr. Hall said that there is absolutely no difference between MD and DO pathologists… none.

So really, it appears to be a case of where you can get into med school.

Rule 6: The MCAT is your friend

You should take the MCAT only when you are ready. For non-trad applicants, especially those who may some grade “baggage” a stellar MCAT score will be a huge plus on your application. You don’t simply need to “brush up” for the MCAT. The style in which they ask questions that make you think and analyze across multiple topics and layered depths require preparation in how to master the exam. I urge everyone to take a prep course of some kind. Since the GPA and MCAT scores are roughly weighed equally in application across a large majority of medical schools, it is worth the time amd money to take a prep course. While they may be pricey at $1200-$1500 a course, it is peanuts to the $150,000 plus in debt you are planning to incur. With the brief outline of your background above, i think a solid MCAT showing you make you a strong candidate for any medical school

Oky dokey… first, I would like to thank folks for their input. This is great!

Now, I must plan my time, and hit the books… so, of course I have more questions…

More specifics regarding me… my current job title is “Research Scientist” which still trips me out since I only have a B.S. My focus has been novel vaccines and Yersinia pestis, though we have now shifted to more basic research. The last four years has involved testing vaccine candidates in the BSL-3. I have tons of research experience.

As a university employee, I can take classes for $5 per credit, and have been for the last 3 years. In December, I will complete a business minor (pity they don’t give certificates for that), and my GPA is currently a 3.6 (please note that my undergrad GPA was a 3.1; My GPA would have been higher, but I had to work at least full time throughout college).

Anyhow, I think I am in pretty good shape on the academic side… I just need to nail my MCAT. I am shooting for April 2010 testing.

What should I do first? Are there classes I should take this spring to ready myself for medical school? Comparative physiology? A & P?

Cadaver lab? I would like to use my time to my best advantage.

-Also-

My wife’s primary care physician is a non-traditional med school graduate. She started when she was 42… and had two teenage kids and was the primary breadwinner for her family. She did it, and has put herself at my disposal… the way my wife described it, it sounds like she is willing to mentor me… and is excited about the prospect.

So… as she has volunteered her time to help me, how should I make use of this resource? What questions should I ask her?

It is very odd how things have suddenly just fallen into line for a possible medical career… almost spooky.

Thanks again!