40+ yr. old surgical residents

Hello all!!! I was just wondering if there are any 40+ year old medical students who later became surgeons.

Hi there.

Here is a thread I found on the student doctor network: there is a post dated (7-11-09) from someone who started a surgery residency at age 50.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=6…

Also here is the actual post below in quotes in case you have any problems finding it there to read:

“I started General Surgery residency at age 50; completed it and fellowship and now have a career and practice that I totally enjoy. I found that I didn’t have any problems that were different from my fellow residents (finding enough time to sleep, read, and study). I didn’t start medical school with the idea of becoming a vascular surgeon but midway through third year, I couldn’t do anything else. If this is what you want, you find a way to get it done.”

Hope this helps and best wishes to you.

There are certainly a few of them out there. Most non-trads don’t opt for the surgery pathway because of the length of training and the demands of the training, combined with the sacrifices their families have already made with the student giving up a career, sometimes location, etc. Personally, I LOVED surgery and if I were younger and didn’t have a family, I probably would have opted for a general surgery residency followed by a Trauma/Critical Care fellowship. As much as I loved it, I just couldn’t see putting my family through that.

• schooldoctor Said:
Hi there.

Here is a thread I found on the student doctor network: there is a post dated (7-11-09) from someone who started a surgery residency at age 50.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=6...

Also here is the actual post below in quotes in case you have any problems finding it there to read:

"I started General Surgery residency at age 50; completed it and fellowship and now have a career and practice that I totally enjoy. I found that I didn't have any problems that were different from my fellow residents (finding enough time to sleep, read, and study). I didn't start medical school with the idea of becoming a vascular surgeon but midway through third year, I couldn't do anything else. If this is what you want, you find a way to get it done."

Hope this helps and best wishes to you.

BTW, the author of the SDN post above was an early active member of OPM