42 and thinking of Pre-Med...crazy? :(

I am 42/f. For about 3-4 yrs now I have been thinking of doing pre-meds…

I went to Engineering school then did an MS in computer science. I really dont thnk I have an aptitude for Engg. After working for 4 yrs in corporate…I got laid off and stayed home with the kids for the past almost 10 yrs. Since the past couple of years I have been doing part time work in Computers field [ teaching/interning etc.]. I have 2 kids, 12 and 7. My husband is not a very supportive kind of person [that is partly the reason I stayed home for the past years]

I want to study medicine…

Is that a crazy thought!?

risenshine,

welcome to opm and NO, its not a crazy thought!!! Too bad your husband is not completely supportive, but the way I see it: if you want to study medicine, then go for it!!

Over the years Ive had a lot of people and a lot of circumstances hold me back and discourage me from pursuing what I wanted. At the end of the day I realized I wasnt happy with where I was in life and after years of being unsatisfied, I finally took the steps toward my goal. Like I said, you’re not crazy, you’re motivated and you have a passion, so pursue it.

Just as crazy as the rest of us! You can do it. You can do anything you put your mind to, not matter how young/old you are. I believe that some of us don’t find what we are looking for until later in life. I spent the last 12 years doing sales and traveling the world, now I want to study medicine. When I was young I never would have imagined wanting to pursue a career as a doctor. Go for it! I am:)

I know an engineer who got accepted to med school in his late 40’s, and even turned down Yale!

I am 37 and have 7 yr old twins. I do not have a degree in anything but finished half of the pre-med courses at CCs about 10 yrs ago. I plan on going to UC extensions pre-med intro Science program and re-take everything as well as finish my BS. Any thoughts or advice?

Ok, taking a deep breath now… This is my first post. I am extremely grateful to have found this forum and have found it to be supportive already, even though I don’t know you all yet.

My answer to you would be that if you are crazy then I am downright certifiable and should have been locked away long ago. Sigh. I am a 47 y.o. female who is in nursing school and getting ready to apply to a post-bacc pre- med program in the hopes of getting into med school instead. I know there are people who think I am crazy, and my 29 y.o. daughter actively disapproves. There are very few people in my life who are supportive of this. My husband says he is, but he is difficult to count on. I am scared to think of what I am getting myself into (at my age?!?!?) but I can so solidly see myself as a doc that I can’t put my heart into anything else.

In order to make this first step decision, I went to see a counselor in student services at school. She has been wonderful and has helped me think this through in a logical, organized way. Would anything like that be available to you? If not, maybe try the (somewhat trite but actually useful) method of making a list of pro’s and con’s? Whatever you decide, I wish you luck and hope you find what is best for you.

I am a 41 year old divorced mother of 2. Mid-life crisis and empty nest syndrome hit at the same time… My children are 22 and 20. Both in college. I began my premed prereqs two years ago in fall of 2007. I am now applying to med schools now. My divorce occurred before I made the decision to pursue medicine, but at that time, I was interested in nursing. My ex-husband convinced me that wouldn’t make it as a doctor. Still today, I struggle with the negative things he said to me. This being said, no matter what anyone else in your life says to you…Go for it!! Within this forum you have one heck of a support team!!! We all have to deal with different non-support teams on the outside. I am just so grateful that there is a place to go to talk to other people that are going through similar situations. (by the way the divorce had nothing to do with my decision to pursue a medical career). I still have a long way to go myself, I am not sure if I will be able to enter the 2010 year of if it will be 2011. I have begun the process, and I am on my way. This is possible, and I am now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I just wanted to give you a little note of encouragement. Just keep pushing forward. You can accomplish anything you put your heart into.