5 Days Left of Medical School

I can hardly believe it. I’m not sure I honestly ever thought this day would come, but I have exactly 5 working days of medical school left until I have completed every requirement for school. I am currently in the MICU and have been so busy that I haven’t really had time to think about this. I’m not sure what I’ll do when I don’t have somewhere to go every morning before the sun rises! Plus, I’m not sure I actually feel qualified to be, for all intents and purposes, an MD! Wow. A bit of panic, a bit of joy, a bit of sheer terrror. Ok, maybe not terror, but really! I’m done with medical school!?!?! Wow.

Congratulations Jane!! I am so happy for you and so proud of you. You have been an excellent example of what an OldPreMed can be. . . and what a friend can be!
Now sit back and start packing. Before you know it, match day will be here and you will know where you are going. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you will get your first choice!
You are going to make one really fine doctor!
Linda

Congrats on getting your requirements done!! Are you taking any electives during the rest of the year? Many students at Maryland saved their 3 months off for the end of the year and are taking a long vacation. Though I’ll be done my requirements after this Friday, I am taking two electives in areas that I am interested in, nutrition and a psych outreach.
Congrats again
Tara

I am considering doing one or two of the following electives: Neuro, Derm, Radiology. It will depend on how burned out I find I am after next week, and whether or not a month off in March will have me climbing the walls. I’ve exceeded the required amount of electives already, but can take any additional ones I want if I so desire. We’ll see how I feel. Right now I’m looking forward to sleeping late, working out and hanging out with my friends for a while. I can’t wait!
Jane

Quote:

I am considering doing one or two of the following electives: Neuro, Derm, Radiology. It will depend on how burned out I find I am after next week, and whether or not a month off in March will have me climbing the walls. I’ve exceeded the required amount of electives already, but can take any additional ones I want if I so desire. We’ll see how I feel. Right now I’m looking forward to sleeping late, working out and hanging out with my friends for a while. I can’t wait!
Jane

Hi Jane,
Congratulations and a huge back slap for getting through it all. You deserve and have earned a good rest but I suspect that your resting (like mine) will last about a week and you will have some new project that will occupy your time.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures in Central America. It must have been a real mental challange but with an excitement that few can appreciate. I know from my working in the ghetto, that sometimes just a smile, or a nod of respect to such elegant people can mean as much as major surgery. I cannot wait to get back to the inner city. I have been away too long.
Keep strong and congratulations on making it through. I hope our paths cross at some point. In fact, I am making it a point to be sure that this happens.
Natalie

Thanks, Natalie! I’m glad you enjoyed my travelogues. I’ve been in touch with the nature guide I met in the Amazon and am planning to put a trip together during residency (it will be as an elective month) to go back and provide both medical care and supplies for a clinic and a school down there. I also work in many of the underserved clinics here in town, which is one of the most rewarding things I do. Speaking Spanish sure does come in handy in medicine, I must say! Thanks again for the well-wishes. I look forward to meeting you in person some day soon!
Jane