5 year residency

The specialty I’m interested in is 5 years total: One year internship in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine, then the reaming 4 years are in the Specialty (radiation oncology). Do I have to apply seperately for the one year internship, and then reapply all over again to a 4 year residency program in Radiation Oncology? Or is there a way that combine the two so that I only apply one time? Thanks.

in any program where there’s a preliminary year (e-med, neuro, anesthesia are just a few that come to mind), you will be coordinating two placements, one for your intern year and one for the remainder of your residency. There are a gazillion ways to arrange this. For example, I have a classmate who really doesn’t want to move twice… so she has done her rank list to either do prelim year at our school, then move next year for the remainder of the residency, or do prelim year at the same place as her residency. Sometimes this isn’t possible. As far as I can tell, it all works out OK. It’s definitely complicated; I wouldn’t spend any time worrying about it now. People get lots of help from their dean’s office & etc. when it comes time to work out these things.

Quote:

The specialty I’m interested in is 5 years total: One year internship in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine, then the reaming 4 years are in the Specialty (radiation oncology).

freudian slip or innocent typo … “the reaming 4 years” – you be the judge

Quote:

The specialty I’m interested in is 5 years total: One year internship in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine, then the reaming 4 years are in the Specialty (radiation oncology). Do I have to apply seperately for the one year internship, and then reapply all over again to a 4 year residency program in Radiation Oncology? Or is there a way that combine the two so that I only apply one time? Thanks.

Hi there,
In 2004, we generally do not speak of the Internship but the PGY-1 year.For radiation oncology, the PGY-1 year can be surgery, medicine or a transitional year(best option). In this case, you apply for your PGY-1 year on a separate list from your PGY-2 program. Some residency programs like, radiology, ENT and orthopedic surgery will make sure that you have a PGY-1 slot in the same location. Others like anesthesia, require that you obtain your own slot because they do not admit residents at the PGY-1 level.
In the case of anesthesia, we have an anesthesia PGY-1 who is a designated preliminary PGY-1 under the surgery department and several designated PGY-1 anesthesia residents who are under the medicine department. We also have a PGY-1 radiation oncology resident who is a designated preliminary resident in general surgery.

Family Practice here does not have any designated preliminary residents, meaning that if you are Family Practice, you are obligated to finish the residency (three years)before moving on.
Natalie