70 comm college credits 6-12 years ago, 1.5 gpa, how to get into med school from here?

Beyond all the other stuff I need to do, like do well on MCAT and ecs and all that, I am looking just for advice on what to do about this low gpa hole I am in.

Options Ive considered:

1. Take a LOT (about 200) more undergrad credits to get gpa at 3.0 then apply. This will likely take me 4-5 years of undergrad. Probably a double major.

2. Graduate college as soon as possible w the lowest number units needed, finish out w a gpa around 2.5, then do an informal post-bacc where I take at least 32 units and apply only to schools that favor post bacc grades.

3. Graduate college as soon as possible w the lowest units necessary and try to get into an SMP program.

4. What other options do I have?

I am 30 years old so time is not on my side. I will be working as an EMT part time thru undergrad and have no other financial assistance, so money is not on my side either.

What are my options?
Which allots me the most likely opportunity to get accepted?
Which is most cost effective?
Which takes the least num years to get in?

Note: giving up is not an option

My suggestion is to finish your degree if you haven’t done so yet. Make sure your pre-requirements course have the highest grades possible. Next score high on your MCAT, just to the school you’re applying to doesn’t cut you off because of your GPA. You could look into a one year medical science masters program or go back an get your paramedic license. You probably have tons on experience begin an EMT and that looks good for Medical degrees. My friend who is a paramedic got waived from the pre-requirement courses for PA school because he had a lot of experience begin paramedic. Additionally, look into D.O schools they typically, are more lenient of GPA’s. That’s my suggestion. I am not an expert in any way, but I am a college graduate who is trying to go to medical school as well. I’ve done a lot of research of the top to see the best way to go about the process. Hope that helps!

1 Like

I second @Edsobal36’s suggestion about DO schools. They generally have lower GPA and MCAT averages than MD schools. They are also more welcoming to non-trads, which is a big reason I’m planning to apply to them in 2022 (either alone or in addition to MD schools, as right now my GPA is competitive enough for some less prestigious schools).