A Brief Guide to Osteopathic Medicine, For Students, By Students

Hi guys and gals,

I wanted to make you aware of an excellent resource that is available concerning DOs and osteopathic medical school. It has been out for a while now but never posted here on OPM before.

My classmate and I published ‘A Brief Guide to Osteopathic Medicine’ a year ago with the American Association of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) which runs the AACOMAS application service. The work is meant to be a guide for students (mainly premeds and allopathic students, but laypersons as well), by students. As hinted at by the title, it is by no means a completely exhaustive guide, but it does address some myths/misconceptions, the history of osteopathic medicine, osteopathic manipulative techniques/research, and how osteopathic medicine fits into the current medical school scene.

It’s free to download so please feel free to take a look-see here: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/P ages/BriefGuide.aspx

The ‘Brief Guide’ is endorsed by the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) and the Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons of California (OPSC). It’s linked to on several DO schools and undergraduate advising websites. And additionally, we’ve recently gotten support from gonif on OPM to help us continue to publicize this resource!

Enjoy,

Patrick and Johnny

P.S. We are currently 3rd years at Touro-CA just in case you are wondering!

I read this and liked it a lot. I am considering still getting the amazon book but noticed that the amazon book is kind of dated at this point. anyone have any recommendations on more reading for osteopathic medicine?