A Few Questions about this Path

Hey folks! I have a few questions for those of you who have been on this journey for a while.

Background: I’m turning 29 this summer, and starting a 3yr path toward a BS in Microbiology in the fall (hopefully). I have one son, who turns 2 in November, and I’m hoping to get pregnant with #2 this summer. I am NOT concerned with taking classes with a newborn/nursling, as I tend to excel even when I’m distracted. Also, my husband is a SAHD (disabled Iraq vet), so childcare is not an issue, nor is a livable income (though a comfortable income may be beyond us while I’m in school).

Problem: I want 4 kids, and I want to be either done having children or pregnant with my last child when I’m 35, for various personal reasons. So my fertility is on a timeline, and that timeline happens to coincide with when I want to go to med school.

Questions:

• Does anyone know anything about pregnancy or breastfeeding while taking Gross Anatomy? I've read some concerns about formulin fumes during dissection labs, but no hard science to back anything up.
  • I'm considering having a third child before or during MS1. Is there anything that I don't know about that year which might make that impossible, besides GA?
  • I've heard that year 2 is a good year to split, if you have to go on the 5yr plan. However, that doesn't fit well into our family planning. What about year 4? I was thinking about taking a semester off in the middle of year 4 to have another child or just to reclaim my sanity before the match. Is this even possible?
  • I know I'm already crazy to even be considering med school. Is it even more crazy to try and have two babies while in med school?
  • Not related to my fertility: I'm currently working as a CNA, and I want to do some shadowing with some physicians, surgeons, and residents that I am acquainted with. Should I also volunteer in a hospital? I do other volunteer work not associated with the hospital. What about research? I don't mind doing one lab research project, but I'm taking a lab-intensive major and also working part time nights while I go to school. I obviously want to spend as much time as possible with my family while also enabling myself to reach my goals.

Thanks for any and all help y'all can give me.
  • aylaanne Said:
Hey folks! I have a few questions for those of you who have been on this journey for a while.

Background: I'm turning 29 this summer, and starting a 3yr path toward a BS in Microbiology in the fall (hopefully). I have one son, who turns 2 in November, and I'm hoping to get pregnant with #2 this summer. I am NOT concerned with taking classes with a newborn/nursling, as I tend to excel even when I'm distracted. Also, my husband is a SAHD (disabled Iraq vet), so childcare is not an issue, nor is a livable income (though a comfortable income may be beyond us while I'm in school).

Problem: I want 4 kids, and I want to be either done having children or pregnant with my last child when I'm 35, for various personal reasons. So my fertility is on a timeline, and that timeline happens to coincide with when I want to go to med school.

Questions:

• Does anyone know anything about pregnancy or breastfeeding while taking Gross Anatomy? I've read some concerns about formulin fumes during dissection labs, but no hard science to back anything up.
  • I'm considering having a third child before or during MS1. Is there anything that I don't know about that year which might make that impossible, besides GA?
  • I've heard that year 2 is a good year to split, if you have to go on the 5yr plan. However, that doesn't fit well into our family planning. What about year 4? I was thinking about taking a semester off in the middle of year 4 to have another child or just to reclaim my sanity before the match. Is this even possible?
  • I know I'm already crazy to even be considering med school. Is it even more crazy to try and have two babies while in med school?
  • Not related to my fertility: I'm currently working as a CNA, and I want to do some shadowing with some physicians, surgeons, and residents that I am acquainted with. Should I also volunteer in a hospital? I do other volunteer work not associated with the hospital. What about research? I don't mind doing one lab research project, but I'm taking a lab-intensive major and also working part time nights while I go to school. I obviously want to spend as much time as possible with my family while also enabling myself to reach my goals.

Thanks for any and all help y'all can give me.

I think you need to slow down...you are going to burn yourself out and then not only are you going to be affected, but so will your family.

If your goal is to have 4 kids and be finished by the time you are 35...take care of that first. You, I am sure, want to not just have children but enjoy them, right? Why do you want to lose out on this period of their young lives and you will if you go this route. Medical school isn't going to go anywhere...it'll still be there after you turn 35.

I just caution you to think through everything. Your priority needs to be your family at this point.

Ayla - I am mostly on your side, but your post struck me as a little arrogant, just because you sound like you can get pregnant on command. Don’t think you can just pop out babies whenever you want. Some people are lucky enough to do that, but not everyone. I took 3 yrs to get pregnant with #2, even though I started trying when I was a fertile 23 yr old and got pregnant with #1 quite by accident.

Getting pregnant aside, I say, if you think you can manage all these kids, before MS1 is probably good for having another one. My cousin had one then. She had her second in April of MS4, which was probably worse because she never saw the kid during her residency years. There are plenty of male docs with SAH wives and a gaggle of kids, nobody blinks twice. If your husband is on board and knows that he’s going to be solo dad, then go for it.

As for enjoying them yourself, I wouldn’t expect a lot of time with them, but you just find a way to fit it all in. That is what I do as a working mom now. Waitresses, truck drivers, lawyers, doctors. . .we all find a way. People say medicine will always be there, but I can understand if you feel you need to do it now. They say it’s not a race, but there is going to be a difference between becoming a doctor at 35 and 45, both professionally and for your family. As long as you know the tradeoffs, go for it.

Having worked in a research lab with pregnant coworkers, I can say that the fixative used in cadavers is definitely not safe for a pregnant/breastfeeding mother. Some medical schools are switching to fresh cadavers (Cleveland Clinic comes to mind) but they tend to be small, exclusive, programs. Definitely consult with your ob/gyn and with a toxicologist before exposing yourself to the chemicals in gross anatomy.

• Krisss17 Said:

I think you need to slow down...you are going to burn yourself out and then not only are you going to be affected, but so will your family.

If your goal is to have 4 kids and be finished by the time you are 35...take care of that first. You, I am sure, want to not just have children but enjoy them, right? Why do you want to lose out on this period of their young lives and you will if you go this route. Medical school isn't going to go anywhere...it'll still be there after you turn 35.

I just caution you to think through everything. Your priority needs to be your family at this point.

Thanks for the input. I've thought about waiting until after 35 to apply to med school, and I may do that, but I want to be there for my kids when they're adolescents as well. No matter when I decide to go to med school, I'm going to miss time with my kids. No matter when I do my residency, my children are not going to see me as much, perhaps for days. I had a parent go through school when I was young, and then again when I was a teenager, and I definitely needed her more when I was a teenager, and missed her more keenly. And that wasn't even as rigorous a program as medical school. So if I'm going to be taking time away from my children, I'd rather do it while they're young and may not remember and resent me for it, especially since they will still have a loving involved parent as their primary caregiver.

As for burning myself out, that's a limit that is individual for everyone. I can and am willing to walk away from this, but I am looking for input from people who have BTDT to help me make some decisions. I have a lot of questions, and I figured it was better to put them all in one post than to spam the group with newbie questions.

• AliJ Said:
Ayla - I am mostly on your side, but your post struck me as a little arrogant, just because you sound like you can get pregnant on command. Don't think you can just pop out babies whenever you want. Some people are lucky enough to do that, but not everyone. I took 3 yrs to get pregnant with #2, even though I started trying when I was a fertile 23 yr old and got pregnant with #1 quite by accident.

I realize this, and I know that I may not be able to get pregnant exactly when I want to do it. I'm only trying to figure out the best windows for trying. If a pregnancy doesn't occur during that window, then we stop trying until the next window, or figure something else out.

I also realize that there are variables in this equation that I cannot control for. We could give birth to a disabled child. One or both of us could become injured in an accident. We could lose all our savings. I cannot change my plan if I don't have a plan to begin with, so I'm trying to make a plan.

Thanks again for all of your help.

• rmsteinberg Said:
Having worked in a research lab with pregnant coworkers, I can say that the fixative used in cadavers is definitely not safe for a pregnant/breastfeeding mother. Some medical schools are switching to fresh cadavers (Cleveland Clinic comes to mind) but they tend to be small, exclusive, programs. Definitely consult with your ob/gyn and with a toxicologist before exposing yourself to the chemicals in gross anatomy.

Thanks. I'm planning to do that, I'm just wondering if there are studies already out there that I can look over in the interim.

Believe me, I can understand your wanting to do it all, and I do wish you the best. There is a website, I believe it is called Momsmd.com (I would do a search), I’m sure that you will find even a larger pool of people to get the info you are looking for…the BTDT type of people.

Make sure that besides the time you put towards medicine and your family, that you have a little time for yourself as well, or you will definitely burn out faster. Take this time now to strengthen your time management skills!

Wow! First thing I would recommend is for you to relax a smidgen. This is a very long, arduous process and at many junctures, you will have far less control than it appears that you desire. I am not exactly a BTDT, as I am male and cannot truly understand/empathize with all of the fertility issues…but having BTDT & succeed in med school, residency & beyond, maybe I do have a few pearls of wisdom to toss into the matrix.

• aylaanne Said:
Does anyone know anything about pregnancy or breastfeeding while taking Gross Anatomy? I've read some concerns about formulin fumes during dissection labs, but no hard science to back anything up.

No, I have not pulled studies, but I can tell you that many of the fixatives & preservatives we use have a multitude of exposure concerns. I would not want my children to be under the influence of these compounds, esp during the 1st or 2nd trimester, or consuming them, potentially, thru breast milk. Many programs, for cost considerations, have changed over to pro-sections. These are pre-dissected cadavers in a permanently sealed & fixed presentation - usually embedded in heavy plastic. I would certainly recommend you research this. One of my classmates was pregnant & wore what amounted to a Hazmat suit for every lab...

• aylaanne Said:

I'm considering having a third child before or during MS1. Is there anything that I don't know about that year which might make that impossible, besides GA?

Not impossible as long as you have a sufficient support network at home - parents, in-laws &/or spouse/SO. I had a couple of classmates who reproduced during all 4 years of med school...it is a far easier feat for a SAH non-med student to do this, but even then, it poses many challenges.

If I may comment, even though a young child may not recall your protracted absence while you are in school or training, the child development literature clearly weighs in favor of establishing & cultivating maternal-child bonds early on. So, while the memories may not be direct, the impact of your absences should not be disregarded as trivial. Speaking as a father who has made a lot of sacrifices to assure that I am as involved as I can possibly be...and wish it was more...in my daughters lives. Being a med student, resident or attending level physician poses monumental hurdles to fulfilling this goal, irrespective of their age. I would be cautious in cavalierly discounting the importance of your presence.

• aylaanne Said:

I've heard that year 2 is a good year to split, if you have to go on the 5yr plan. However, that doesn't fit well into our family planning. What about year 4? I was thinking about taking a semester off in the middle of year 4 to have another child or just to reclaim my sanity before the match. Is this even possible?

While there are a number of programs who allow spacing your 1st 2 years into three, to my knowledge, they do not allow you to select which year, 1 or 2, to spread. As a general rule, it is a reconfiguration of the 1st 2 years that is designed to flow across 3 years.

Regarding splitting year 4: the only school I am aware of that readily permits splitting year 4 is Dartmouth and frequently > 50% of their students choose to do so for a multitude of reasons. Do be aware that you cannot go through the match unless all of your stuff will be completed and you will have graduated PRIOR to that year's start of internship training. So, I do not think it will be feasible to do what you have described.

Also, I would be curious to see if you will find a program that will permit you to extend twice.

• aylaanne Said:

I know I'm already crazy to even be considering med school. Is it even more crazy to try and have two babies while in med school?

I would disagree with you being "crazy" for desiring to enter med school nor would I diagnose you that way for wanting a large family. What I do question is what such rigid aspirations on family size, timing & otherwise. I am asking that in a rhetorical fashion as I truly do not wish to know, but do feel that you need to explore these concepts in a reasonable & rational fashion. If you decide to actually pursue this path, then I wish you the best of luck & success. But, you may be placing an undue burden on yourself, spouse/SO and offspring...something that you should maybe weigh versus your professional goals.
  • OldManDave Said:
Wow! First thing I would recommend is for you to relax a smidgen. This is a very long, arduous process and at many junctures, you will have far less control than it appears that you desire. I am not exactly a BTDT, as I am male and cannot truly understand/empathize with all of the fertility issues...but having BTDT & succeed in med school, residency & beyond, maybe I do have a few pearls of wisdom to toss into the matrix.

Honestly, I am pretty relaxed, I'm just looking into variables, as I said before. This is a huge paradigm shift for me, and it influences a LOT of my life. My biggest worry right now is that I don't know how much I don't know (part of why I want to be a doctor). My road up to this point has had me studiously NOT exploring medicine as a career option, and while I have experience with doctors, nurses, and the hospital setting (the "end result"), I know NOTHING about med school or residency. Nobody in my family has ever been a doctor, so I'm turning to doctors to find out what it's like.

A 3yr BS in Microbiology is not me starting from scratch, btw. I have most of a BSN already, I'm just switching gears. All my liberal arts courses are finished, so the three years are solely for taking the courses required for a microbiology degree. I think perhaps where people are thinking that I'm trying to rush things is by thinking that I'm squeezing a 4 year program into three years, and that's not the case. I'll be taking 12-15 credits a semester, but that's nothing more than normal.

• OldManDave Said:
No, I have not pulled studies, but I can tell you that many of the fixatives & preservatives we use have a multitude of exposure concerns. I would not want my children to be under the influence of these compounds, esp during the 1st or 2nd trimester, or consuming them, potentially, thru breast milk. Many programs, for cost considerations, have changed over to pro-sections. These are pre-dissected cadavers in a permanently sealed & fixed presentation - usually embedded in heavy plastic. I would certainly recommend you research this. One of my classmates was pregnant & wore what amounted to a Hazmat suit for every lab...

I'm going to continue to research the risks and options regarding first year gross anatomy. I know that, for myself, I will not learn as well unless my hands are in the mess. As I said before, I'm just looking to make a plan, which I will then be willing to alter if necessary. It may turn out that the only ways to protect my children and also achieve my goals will be to either wean my current child, put off getting pregnant, or put off going to med school, all of which are acceptable options, but if there are other options, I want to explore those as well.

• OldManDave Said:
Not impossible as long as you have a sufficient support network at home - parents, in-laws &/or spouse/SO. I had a couple of classmates who reproduced during all 4 years of med school...it is a far easier feat for a SAH non-med student to do this, but even then, it poses many challenges.

If I may comment, even though a young child may not recall your protracted absence while you are in school or training, the child development literature clearly weighs in favor of establishing & cultivating maternal-child bonds early on. So, while the memories may not be direct, the impact of your absences should not be disregarded as trivial. Speaking as a father who has made a lot of sacrifices to assure that I am as involved as I can possibly be...and wish it was more...in my daughters lives. Being a med student, resident or attending level physician poses monumental hurdles to fulfilling this goal, irrespective of their age. I would be cautious in cavalierly discounting the importance of your presence.

I certainly agree with you that maternal attachment is important and necessary to early childhood development. While from the eight posts I have made on OPM there is know way for you to know differently, I am not "cavalierly discounting the importance of {my} presence," but rather doing a risk/benefit analysis to determine what the best course is for my family. I do feel that it is possible to form an attachment with my young children while I am working or going to school, though it would obviously not be the same attachment as if I were staying home full time. The question, to me, is not "Will my absence harm my child?" but rather "When will my absence do the least damage to my child?" and "Will the benefits my family will later gain outweigh the risks of my absence now?"

There are financial considerations involved in this, of course. Right now, I'm a CNA and I make <$30k a year. Whether I go to med school or not, I can't support my family in the way I want to on that kind of salary. There are things that I want to provide for my children, and opportunities that I want them to have, that I will not have the fiscal means to provide unless there is more income coming in.

My husband's disability precludes him from going back to school at this point, and he is happy as a SAHD. My original goal was to be an RN, but after working in the field for a while, I realized that I am not well suited to a career in nursing. I am contemplating medicine on the urging of friends and family who feel that it would be a good match for me. Even if I don't do medicine, however, I am going to have to go back to school to do something to support my family.

Would I rather be doing this when younger, single, and childless? Of course. I don't have that option anymore, so the only option I do have is to forge ahead and figure out how, if at all, I can make my goals compatible.

• OldManDave Said:
While there are a number of programs who allow spacing your 1st 2 years into three, to my knowledge, they do not allow you to select which year, 1 or 2, to spread. As a general rule, it is a reconfiguration of the 1st 2 years that is designed to flow across 3 years.

Regarding splitting year 4: the only school I am aware of that readily permits splitting year 4 is Dartmouth and frequently > 50% of their students choose to do so for a multitude of reasons. Do be aware that you cannot go through the match unless all of your stuff will be completed and you will have graduated PRIOR to that year's start of internship training. So, I do not think it will be feasible to do what you have described.

Also, I would be curious to see if you will find a program that will permit you to extend twice.

I guess that question is going to have to be worked out with whatever program I get into. I have heard of people taking a year off, and I'm not opposed to doing that. My idea for "splitting" year four was to do first semester clinicals, then take off a semester, then do another year of clinical electives, then match. That may or may not be possible, but it's also at least seven years away, so it's not my most important worry right now. I was not planning on extending twice.

• OldManDave Said:
I would disagree with you being "crazy" for desiring to enter med school nor would I diagnose you that way for wanting a large family. What I do question is what such rigid aspirations on family size, timing & otherwise. I am asking that in a rhetorical fashion as I truly do not wish to know, but do feel that you need to explore these concepts in a reasonable & rational fashion. If you decide to actually pursue this path, then I wish you the best of luck & success. But, you may be placing an undue burden on yourself, spouse/SO and offspring...something that you should maybe weigh versus your professional goals.

Again, many my goals aren't as rigid as they may seem from my few posts so far on OPM. Just because I've placed a numerical value on them doesn't mean that I'm not flexible, it just means that I've identified a mean value that can represent my overall goal. The goals that I am rigid about are the decision makers for me, and the answers to some of my questions will determine whether I apply to med school in two years or look into another field.

Thank you so much for your input. I hope that I'm not coming off as snarky, bitchy, or rude in my posts, I'm just looking for information while trying to minimize my presence on the web. I truly appreciate the opportunity that OPM provides to put me in touch with other non-traditional students and doctors who have succeeded after being non-traditional students. Having that experience base to brain-pick is invaluable as I explore the options available to me.

I am more frightened of this decision than I have ever been of anything in my life, and I know that during the next two years, while I work on my coursework and my applications, I will be constantly trying to decide whether or not to actually go to med school. I may get all the way through the application process and then decide not to go, that the cost to my family and myself is too high, regardless of the money. At this point, however, if I don't at least explore the future that medicine might hold for me, I will regret it for the rest of my life.

First & foremost, I am relieved by your response. While I do not feel that you came across as bitchy or snarky, you did seem to have an excessively rigid concept to your pathway. Due to the competitive and pseudo-capricious nature of this process, inflexibility would drive you nuts! Your responses in this post let us know that you are being quite reasonable, asking excellent questions and trying to gain insight for a large-scale, life-altering decision.

One of the concerns you verbalize is a lack of first-hand knowledge on living/functioning as a med student / resident / physician. Damned good thing to fret over and, unfortunately, no one can actually convey to you how that actually feels, smells and tastes - it is something you have to experience. It is that intense and life-altering. Of course, the catch 22 is that you really do need to have that knowledge, or at least an approximation of it, to make a rational decision. Welcome to the world of "Pre Med"…and I seriously doubt having family members as physicians is all that helpful in getting the perception across, unless the adult-child was old enough during the parent’s/parents’ training to remember the impact. So, in my eyes, the best proxy for this knowledge is precisely what you are doing - ask TONS of questions and try to gain as much real exposure as you can through employment &/or volunteering.

Regarding absenteeism during some period of time during your child’s development: again, I doubt anyone will have answers…very few things in science, esp. medicine, have been absolutely answered…but you are already thinking in a “doctorly” manner - risks vs. benefits. I eat, sleep, breathe, shit & smile risks vs. benefits…it is the way of modern medicine.

You are correct in that your absence, whenever it may occur, will impact your children - most likely profoundly. Do be aware that this absence or reduction in your presence will necessarily continue once you are through your training. It is not as if once the education and training are over, then you go back to M~F, 9~5, no weekend/no holidays sorta gig. The “physician lifestyle” is an odd duck and not truly conducive to anyone’s health or sense of well-being who lives it. To appear so put together, healthy and well-adjusted requires substantial effort & discipline on the part of the individual - it will not occur by default, as I am learning quite painfully myself.

In that context, the question morphs into “from what point in my children’s life onward do I feel it is least damaging to reduce my presence”? Of course, this must be filtered by the ‘quantity vs. quality’ argument. Additional consideration must be given to your noble commitment to providing opportunities for your children. While I do not think anyone would/could fault you for aspiring to do better for your kids - a HUGE motivator for me - I do feel this sense of obligation has to be balanced with provision of quality time where you are physically present. I can openly state this as something I am currently struggling to learn how to strike a reasonable balance - it ain’t easy! Furthermore, the balance point is not just elusive, but the damned thing changes constantly.

Regarding all of the extending & splitting: by no means am I the authority of which programs do or do not offer this option nor how many times you can accept it. My intent was to convey that in my limited scope of exposure, there are programs out there who do offer such things. Just be aware that there is an enormous quantity of material and experiences that must be covered and packing all of that into 4 years without interruptions is very tough. Every time you inject an interruption, self-imposed or externally-imposed, it makes completion within a specified timeframe much more challenging. If you are willing & comfortable with taking longer (more student loan debt, fewer learning years, longer period of reduced family time…), then the trade may be well worth it.

However, you should also be aware that some states &/or programs place a ceiling on how long you can take to complete medical school. The only program I know for certain about is the Univ of Ark - an excellent medical school - places a 6-year limit (I think I recall that number correctly) on matriculation to graduation. I do not know how prolific this sort of restriction is only that it is present in at least 1 program. I would certainly encourage you to do some investigating, but couch that with the potential that medicine is a world populated with stodgy old farts who tend not to bond with deviations from the norm and potentially will interpret excessive questions on voluntary extension as someone trying to take the “easy way out”. You & I both know there is NOTHING easier about rearing little ones and I can tell you emphatically being a parent + med student/resident/physicia n can been PAINFUL. But, they may/may not have the same perception.

All in all, an enormous component of a successful application is what they, the admissions committees, perceive. The primary control you have…what there is of it…is in guiding how their perception of you evolves. A very common strategic error made by all pre-meds is to get too invested in what their perception of ‘self’ & their application is. Realistic or not, that person cannot be there to advocate for this concept leaving the AdCom to devise this without guidance beyond the application itself. So, take this message to heart when you are building your application - it’s purpose is to act as your advocate in your absence. Another pearl of wisdom I wish I had when I was an applicant!

First of all, the best laid plans…you get the point.

Medical school IS brutal (no matter how bright and able to get it you think you are) and residency is even more brutal. I would suggest that FIRST you finish your undergraduate degree along with the pre-medical classes and get A’s. Then, worry about applying to medical schools and once you are IN you can then decide after going through the classes when you are best able to have children.

BTW not all medical schools allow you to extend years…some have very rigid guidelines as to whom gets to do this…

Thank you everyone, especially OldManDave, for your insightful responses. I have a lot of food for thought to work on.

Speaking as a 3rd (almost 4th) year med student, having kids in med school is tough. Not impossible, but tough. I had my baby during my 2nd year of medical school. My school has an independent study program which allowed me to have quite a bit of flexibility in finishing my 2nd year. I was going to do delayed entry into Med 3, but changed my mind and worked on a MPH degree instead. I’m very glad I did so. I simply wasn’t ready for the rigors of Med 3 when my daughter was 7 months old.

As others have mentioned, having a supportive family is a must. My husband has been wonderful, being almost a single dad at times. Unfortunately, neither of us have family that is super close and that has made life difficult at times as my husband has had to do a lot of juggling with his schedule and job to accommodate taking care of our daughter at times.

I cried the first week of my first clinical rotation (surgery). Not because I didn’t like the rotation, but because I didn’t see my daughter for 3 days - I had to be at the hospital by 4:30 am and often didn’t get home until after she was in bed (8pm or later). Even though subsequent rotations have not been as tough, I still don’t get home before bed time once a week or so. I rarely get home before 6, which only allows me a couple of hours with her before bed. I can’t complain, though, because my residents are often still there a couple of hours longer than I am.

I don’t do nearly as well on the end-of-rotation exams as I could because I just don’t have time to study as much as I should and still spend at least some time paying attention to my family. I’m routinely exhausted - I can’t imagine having more than one child at this point.

This post isn’t meant to be discouraging as much as it is realistic. In some ways, it hasn’t been nearly as hard/difficult as I expected to have a child during medical school, and in other ways it has been much harder.

Some more food for thought for you . . .

P.S. - Ohio State also has a 6 year limit on completing medical school (exceptions made for a couple of the dual degree programs). I think that is fairly common.

Thank you for your honest and thought provoking post. This is exactly the type of insight that I’m looking for while I plan my future.

One thing that I’ve been facing my whole life is the varying definitions of “hard.” My husband, as I said, is an Iraqi war veteran. What I didn’t mention was that his service was entirely during the first year and a half that we were dating. We met, we dated, and five weeks later he was in a convoy to another part of the country to train. Eighty-seven days after that he was on a plane to Afganistan. We didn’t see each other again for another 15 months.

Over and over again, during the deployment and since then, I’ve heard, “That’s so hard! I could never do that!” I don’t really have a response to that. Yes, it was difficult, and perhaps it was the most difficult thing I have ever done. It had an emotional and physical cost for both of us. Some people would have had a much harder time than either of us, and many people would not have been able to complete it, let alone continue dating afterward, marry, and have children. So “hard” is a subjective word, and whenever I hear it, I always want more detail. What may be hard for you might be easy for me, or vice-versa.

Thanks again for telling me your story.

I am prior military, married to a green beret whom was injured in Afghanistan and lost his arm, went to medical school (after all of this) and I am now a resident. Have been through a plethora of extremely long deployments with NO contact and to be brutally honest medical school and residency have been the HARDEST thing my family has ever been through by far. The sheer amount of stress, hours spent studying, have been extremely difficult.