A non-traditional applicant

Hello all,

I am a non-traditional pre-med student. I graduated from a community college with an associates in Radiology and I am now pursuing a Bachelors degree in Radiology while working. I want to apply to med school and I need to prepare for the MCAT. I need to take all of my chemistry courses still. Does it matter if I take these courses at a community college or should I take them at a university? Or will the schools just look at my MCAT scores and my GPA? Thanks!

This has always been debated. Some people will say that Med schools prefer you take pre-reqs at a university to prove you can handle the rigors of med school, then others say it doesn’t matter. D.O. schools are more lenient when it comes to where you satisfied your pre-reqs.

I’m doing all of my pre-reqs at a community college and I’m not that worried about it. I do have a BA and a Masters already, so if they ask, I’ll just be honest and say, “why would I spend 3 times more money to take the same courses at a university?”

I am however going the D.O. route, so you just have to make the right decision for yourself.